• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseytravel - saveaway day tickets on Ferries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWPacer

Hi
Does anyone know the exact validity of the Merseytravel day tickets on ferries ? The website seems a little vague - are these only valid on journeys on Monday to Friday as weekend journeys seem more geared to the leisure market - are these classed as cruises? It says not valid on cruises but I wasn't sure if these are specific trips or part of the normal shuttle service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
As far as I am aware the saveaway is valid on the Mersey Ferries Direct Service and River Explorer which are shown here (exception being Monday-Friday journeys before 0929) Ferry Timetables

I have been on the river explorer with a saveaway, you can travel on any day Monday-Sunday (travel not permitted M-F before 0930) you just need to get a free boarding pass from the ticket office which entitles you to a single journey across the Mersey to Woodside.

I think you are supposed to disembark and get another free ticket at Woodside to go back across however I just stayed on as I asked if I could do the whole route and they said Yes at the ticket office (this being before I had studied the boarding pass) and no one checked my boarding pass when I got back to Pier Head to exit.

Established Member
Yep, as above M-F after 0929, anytime Sat and Sun.

Compulsory free boarding ticket must be obtained from the booking office up to about 2 mins before departure, which you must keep until alighting.

The one-crossing rule has never been enforced in all the years I've used it.

Saveaway tickets always been good value.

Smethwickian

The 'not valid on river cruises' bit is obviously intended to refer to the day trips up the ship canal to Salford, and such like, but I agree it isn't terribly clear.

Like the other advisors, I have happily used an (all-zones) Saveaway on the 'explorer' ferry journeys in the past and, yes, bearing in mind it also includes trains to/from Chester as well as all modes within Merseyside, it's excellent value. Haven't looked at prices today, but last time I used one, a return trip on the ferry alone would have been more than the cost of the Saveaway.

TWPacer

Thanks for all your comments, as you say the ticket is exceptional good value especially when you consider the standard single ferry fares, I assumed it was just too good to be true! Used one today with no problems. Two ferry trips, two bus trips through the tunnel and serveral merseyrail trips (these starting from Ormskirk) all for £4.70. Cracking value :)

Status
Not open for further replies.