• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Messed up with oyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyaloud

I have Railcard. Right now, Travelling from Orpington to west India quay changing at Lewisham. I left Orpington and tapped in there. I stupidly have just tapped on the DLR at Lewisham. It's charged me £3.85. I'm now on the DLR to west India quay. Should I tap there, which I know will make it an unfinished trip (I don't know what time I'm next travelling on anything yet) to make it easier to explain to oyster phone line? I wanted to pay £2.10 for the whole journey and realised I would be doing , had I not tapped at Lewisham. I was confused as couldn't see a pink reader which I was expecting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Leave this one to the forum experts, but that's twice now in consecutive days that you've posted about possible issues / problems when using an Oyster card.

As well as a specific response to this particular query, presumably you'd also appreciate some general advice as to how to (legitimately) use an Oyster card as cost efficiently as possible?

Andrew S

Getting off the Southeastern train from Orpington to Lewisham you would have to pass through barriers, so in effect tapping out, then tapping in again at the DLR platform. You should tap out at West India Quay.

As long as you don't spend ages in Lewisham between the two legs, the system will count it as one journey. After you tap out at West India Quay check your balance again.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Further to the advice above, you would be better to look at your Oyster account at the end of the day when all journeys are completed, rather than every time you tap in or out.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m sure @MikeWh will be along shortly but I’d tap out at your destination. In the event of an incomplete journey, you’ll be able to resolve this via your online account or a call to the TfL help desk.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m sure @MikeWh will be along shortly but I’d tap out at your destination. In the event of an incomplete journey, you’ll be able to resolve this via your online account or a call to the TfL help desk.
Sorry, I've been busy with other stuff. It's too late now, but I'd concur with the advice above.
Further to the advice above, you would be better to look at your Oyster account at the end of the day when all journeys are completed, rather than every time you tap in or out.
Oyster tells you the journey charge when you exit so there was no extra checking required.

The problem is that from Orpington there is no obvious route to Lewisham DLR without going via zone 1. That's why the fare charged was so high. As noted, you should have touched out at the gates when exiting the NR station, OR, if they were open you could have not touched at either gate or validator and the fare would still be correctly charged.

Take a look at my site, https://oysterfares.com, for more information. In particular the pink readers page with a list of the only stations with them.

boyaloud

Thanks for all the replies. I never use Lewisham so am not familiar with it at all and my mind was somewhat on other matters. I did not notice any ticket gates as I left the train area so i guess the ticket gates must have just been open so I walked through...then I panicked thinking o God, I bet this will make my fare wrong and I didn’t know what to do. I was worried if I waited until west India quay it would assume I’d gone via zone one. It’s so annoying! So if I’d waited until W India quay, I’d have been charged the £2.10?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So if I’d waited until W India quay, I’d have been charged the £2.10?
Yes. Take a look at the fare finder on my site. You are charged the default fare unless you satisfy the conditions for any of the alternatives. In this case you would have to touch out and back in again at one of the zone 1 interchanges mentioned to be charged the higher fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.