• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Met A-stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'd say that it could be possible for a S7 to stand in for a S8, but not the other way around given the extra length of an S8.

While for the shared section of track the platforms are long enough, I presume they're not on the rest of the line - or else they'd all be S8s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
150222 - indications are the off peak running of A Stock ceases on 29th June.

Meanwhile...

Does anyone know if there will be a Train 717 - or at least a stock removal - on either Thursday or Friday next week ( 7th / 8th June; half term ) as my son wants to see the low loaders leaving Northwood?

Metrailway

So how long left? If I want a ride on the A-stock when roughly will be the latest I can go to London? Will there be more A-stock running as some have to go back to Derby?

Also a few not unrelated questions,
When is the C & D stock (I like them as well) expected to be gone by? I know the S7's are starting on the Hammersmith & City line almost immediatly after the S8's have arrived.
Will the S7's be able to run Met line services in an emergency (and vice-versa)?

Thanks in advance.

Last C Stock would probably be gone someday next year, while the D78s will probably be running until someday in 2015.

S7s are unlikely to run on the Met due to current rigidity of lines with their own management and separate budgets, despite them being part of the same company. Despite this inflexibility, the Piccadilly provided it's big brother the District with an 1973 Stock and a driver recently so I would be foolish to rule out S7s on the Met completely. S8s on the District and Circle won't happen as platforms on these lines are too short. Actually, quite a few platforms on the Met had to be lengthened to fit the S8s.

Last C Stock would probably be gone someday next year, while the D78s will probably be running until someday in 2015.

S7s are unlikely to run on the Met due to current rigidity of lines with their own management and separate budgets, despite them being part of the same company. Despite this inflexibility, the Piccadilly provided it's big brother the District with an 1973 Stock and a driver recently so I would be foolish to rule out S7s on the Met completely. S8s on the District and Circle won't happen as platforms on these lines are too short. Actually, quite a few platforms on the Met had to be lengthened to fit the S8s.

Really? Where to/from?

What is the last line C-stock is expected to run on? Circle, Hammersmith & City or Wimbleware?

Metrailway

Really? Where to/from?

The Pic provided a shuttle between Acton Town and Ealing Broadway due to disruption on the District last week. There is a thread on District Dave about it

By the way ignore what I said about S7s on the Met - You will see S7s on the Met Main as I believe (unless plans have changed) some are intended to be stabled at Neasden. Whether they'll provide Met services is a different matter... I completely forgot about Neasden when I posted yesterday.

What is the last line C-stock is expected to run on? Circle, Hammersmith & City or Wimbleware?

No idea, although the 'Wimblewares' will be fully operated by S7s before the rest of the District.

urban469

it'll certainly be a little odd once the District, H&C and Circle have their S7 fleets- Met passengers from between Aldgate and Baker Street especially will have to pay a little more attention to the displays, rather than simply getting on the first train that looks right!

Nope - the seat alignment gives it away. The S7 only have sideways seating, not facing front/back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I am told that 5016 and 5168 departed for Northwood on train 717 today. Also that apparently the preserved unit will now be 5112 and not 5116; it appears that 5116 contains at least one carriage that was involved in the Kilburn accident and it has been ruled out for that reason.

What/when was the accident?

Metrailway

Nope - the seat alignment gives it away. The S7 only have sideways seating, not facing front/back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

What/when was the accident?

11th December 1984 - Train ran into the back of another. Sadly, the driver was killed. It was his first shift as a fully qualified driver.

The report into the accident can be viewed here.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This is where the Underground's horrendously confusing numbering policy rears its ugly head again!

Four cars were recovered from Kilburn and became unit 5232 ( recently scrapped ) thus:

5028 became 5232
6028 became 6232
6117 became 6233
5117 became 5233

5036 then became 5116
6037 became 6117
5037 became 5117

6036, of course, became the RAT car.

I deduce, therefore, that the car in unit 5116 from Kilburn was 6116 as all the others were renumberings.

Established Member
I was speaking to a Metropolitan driver a few days ago, who said that the last A Stock would most likely be after the Olympics - apparently a few units are to be kept during the Olympics as standbys for when an S Stock breaks down.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A couple of weeks ago I was at Harrow on the Hill when three successive up trains, all S Stock, were unexpectedly terminated and the passengers turfed out while the stock was removed to Neasden...!!

MCR247

Established Member
Bombardier; always reliable....

...on producing crap trains!

Optare and Bombardier are pretty much the same; both deliver late and are unreliable when they get there

route101

Established Member
I was on the Met last week , seemed to be a fair few A stock still running ! Was around 11am

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, nine rakes out in service after 16.30:

5062 + 5160
5100 + 5188
5102 + 5194
5022 + 5112
5024 + 5118
5116 + 5202
5034 + 5230
5060 + 5090
5180 + 5012

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There's at least four trains out today. I'm currently on a Watford - Baker train and I've just seen three Uxbridge services in a row, all A Stock.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Had an A stock between Wembley Park and Northwick Park about 4pm today - it was destined for Uxbridge all stations. Everything I saw between Finchley Rd and Wembley Park (Jubilee line) and there and Northwick Park was S stock.

317 forever

Established Member
I saw 2 or 3 A stock trains yesterday. I had a historically disappointing experience though. I arrived at Northwood and an A stock came, heading for Baker Street. I let it go as I was heading for Euston (or at least Euston Square) and hoped the next train would be an S class heading for Aldgate. The next train was an S class heading for Baker Street and I did board it as I doubted many trains continued to Aldgate in the evening. Anyway, they then terminated the train at Harrow-on-the-Hill, meaning we had to change to continue to town. Had I known I'd have to change, I would have boarded that A class train.

My probable final A stock ride was thus on 1st May 2008, coincidentally the day London voted for the change of Mayor!

Aictos

Established Member
I was at Aldgate earlier and the screens were advertising two trains for the Met: One was a A Stock and the next incoming train was a S Stock.

No competition to guess which one I jumped on ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Out in service on Monday were:

5022 + 5112
5060 + 5090
5116 + 5188
5062 + 5118
5102 + 5094
5034 + 5230

All were out off peak, so Friday was not after all the end of off peak working! :)

Rather interestingly, all were on Uxbridge diagrams until the peak so the effect was to actually increase the intensity of A Stock working as a result of the shorter end to end time... :)

Apologies for my recent silence; my computer had a motherboard failure - now sorted.

astock5000

Formation changes today:
5034 + 5189
5116 + 5231

5094 + 5103 were also in service.

5112 moved to Acton Works on its own as train 716. This means only 11 units are available for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.