• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Met Line - 2/9 - 5/9

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
The email I got from TFL last week said "From Monday 2 until Thursday 5 September there will be fewer trains running on the Metropolitan line while a new signalling system is introduced."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are the "Severe Delays" that are being reported over and above the reduced service? Also it seems an odd week to pick when everyone is returning to work / school after summer. Would a week in August not have been more appropriate?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are the "Severe Delays" that are being reported over and above the reduced service? Also it seems an odd week to pick when everyone is returning to work / school after summer. Would a week in August not have been more appropriate?
The severe delays are to the usual weekday Timetable.
The system wasn’t quite ready for switch-on in mid-August and a decision was taken many months ago to avoid the Notting Hill Carnival Bank Holiday weekend

westv

Established Member
I know the timetable is the timetable but it was quite strange yesterday when, after waiting around 15 minutes for a Met line service at Aldgate yesterday around half 6, we stopped for additional few minutes at two stations between there and Finchley Road as the driver said we were ahead of the timetable.

ijmad

Established Member
TfL are now showing 'special service' on the Met, whatever that means.

Searle

Established Member
TfL are now showing 'special service' on the Met, whatever that means.

It means that TFL are tired of the reputation of running with permanent severe delays, so they've given it a new name to try and cover it up!

westv

Established Member
Just got an email update from TFL

"We are sorry that it is taking longer than anticipated to establish the new signalling system between Finchley Road and Euston Square. As part of our commitment to safety, drivers must be accompanied through the new section by an instructor while it beds in. This means that fewer trains than normal are running.
We are working to restore a full service as quickly as possible. Please allow longer for your journey and visit our status updates page for the latest information.
Customers who have experienced delayed journeys will be automatically refunded."

ijmad

Established Member
Well, at least they're admitting it now.

Smod

I don't know if this is connected with the Met Line works this week, but I was at West Ham station yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see a service to Wembley Park shown on the "next train" display. I couldn't see it in the working timetable so I assume it's not a regular occurrence. Not sure how this fits with a "reduced timetable".

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I don't know if this is connected with the Met Line works this week, but I was at West Ham station yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see a service to Wembley Park shown on the "next train" display. I couldn't see it in the working timetable so I assume it's not a regular occurrence. Not sure how this fits with a "reduced timetable".

Unconnected with 4LM. There are run as required stock moves from Upminster/Barking to Neasden and it is possible that these would be put up as a Wembley.

If the train was in service, then simply the wrong TD will have been put up for the train by Barking cabin. It happens, but it can't be easily rectified until Whitechapel.

Various destinations exist on the legacy TD system that are not routinely used, or in some cases have been usurped for other purposes. An example from the now-closed Edgware Road, the previous 'Barbican' TD was repurposed for Circle line services primarily just to make signaller's lives easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.