Metrocar number that the Queen travelled in when she opened the Tyne & Wear Metro?

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by ThePannier, 16 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePannier

ThePannier Member

Hello all,

I was just viewing some old photos of the Tyne & Wear Metro on the following link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tyne/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8897000/8897970.stm

I came across the photo showing Queen Elizabeth in a Metrocar, having opened the line. As somebody who lives in the North East (albeit not in Tyne & Wear) and an occasional user of the Metro, I was fascinated, hence the question - does anybody know the number of the Metrocar in which she travelled in? Any help would be appreciated. I suspected possibly 4001 or 4002, being the first pair I gather, but with so many Metrocars and my limited knowledge of the history of the system, I'm not sure. Just saw the image and wondered, with a lot of people on here I'm sure somebody would know the answer.

Thanks. :)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

I assume that the picture you are referring to is the one of the Queen travelling on the Metro following the opening of the Sunderland extension in 2002?

If so, then the Metrocar was 4032, which received a special Golden Jubilee livery in readiness for the event and retained it for several years afterwards.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2015
  4. ThePannier

ThePannier Member

Yes that is the image I am referring to. I would have thought 4001 or 4002, being the first pair and having some significance, but thanks very much for your help. I only recently started taking an interest in the Metro fleet, so was unaware of this livery held by 4032. Thanks again. :)

5. Tommy1581

Tommy1581 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.