• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metroline 714 Barnet to Luton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Streetlites coming to it soon as well - or at least I've seen one - sans ticket machine, but with iBus display holder so unsure whether it will get London or Herts one, at the Potters Bar bus garage open day :)

JaJaWa

Established Member
These buses interestingly appear to be fitted with TfL Next Bus, and the stops on Apple Maps now appear as TfL bus stops...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 41

Class45

And they're using the number for the Green Line service which ran over the same route years ago

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I might get a chance to use this, but the fares seem a tad expensive, especially for a Railcard holder.

Be3G

Established Member
These buses interestingly appear to be fitted with TfL Next Bus, and the stops on Apple Maps now appear as TfL bus stops...

TfL's Countdown services doesn't provide predictions over 30 minutes in to the future, nor does it work on non-TfL routes. What you're seeing is more likely information from Hertfordshire's NextBuses service.

JaJaWa

Established Member
TfL's Countdown services doesn't provide predictions over 30 minutes in to the future, nor does it work on non-TfL routes. What you're seeing is more likely information from Hertfordshire's NextBuses service.

Apple Maps only shows information about TfL bus routes and it says "Data from Transport for London", it must be registered on their system as it runs into Barnet.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The 714's operation within the Greater London area (London Borough of Barnet will be under a London Service Permit, which Metroline also have for route 84 (New Barnet to St Albans). The 84 was the last route operated under a London Local Service Agreement, and for many years was a bit of an anomaly, a former 'red' bus route operating predominantly outside the Greater London area, and still retains the number within the TfL numbering system, although in theory TfL could reuse the number elsewhere. The 81 to Slough, always a 'red' bus route and still tendered by TfL is now perhaps the next most anomalous, although some might cite the incursion into Leatherhead in Surrey too.

Be3G

Established Member
Apple Maps only shows information about TfL bus routes and it says "Data from Transport for London", it must be registered on their system as it runs into Barnet.

Well, the 714 certainly doesn't show on TfL's Countdown service, nor would I expect it to. Apple must just be confused about where they're getting their data from. Of course, TfL will be aware of the 714's operation, but it doesn't appear on any of their public-facing systems because it's not a TfL service in any way.

The 84 was the last route operated under a London Local Service Agreement

I do feel it's a shame that the arrangement couldn't remain for longer. TfL do still operate a service along the 84's route to Potters Bar, but it's only a school bus a few times a day – thereby creating its own anomaly of bus stops located in London for which the only bus route with Oyster acceptance is a school one.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Well, the 714 certainly doesn't show on TfL's Countdown service, nor would I expect it to. Apple must just be confused about where they're getting their data from. Of course, TfL will be aware of the 714's operation, but it doesn't appear on any of their public-facing systems because it's not a TfL service in any way.

It doesn't surprise me, but I can confirm that the 714 is not on internal systems that it would need to be to appear on Countdown (or provide data for an On-Bus Next Stop Sign).

I do feel it's a shame that the arrangement couldn't remain for longer. TfL do still operate a service along the 84's route to Potters Bar, but it's only a school bus a few times a day – thereby creating its own anomaly of bus stops located in London for which the only bus route with Oyster acceptance is a school one.

I believe that's entirely down to Metroline deciding that the remuneration from Oyster is not enough for it to be worth their while continuing. With London bus fares being much lower than in Hertfordshire, I'm not entirely surprised by this.

EDIT:

Incidentally there are 18 school routes which use at least one stop where they are the only service with a total of 40 stops being used by only 1 TfL school service.

Last edited:

Tom B

Established Member

And ironically a huge number of buses filled with fresh air going to/from services 234, 263 and 34 in Barnet to their tea-breaks in Potters Bar!

Status
Not open for further replies.