• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink app problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaH

My DS (18) has had an appeal against a Metrolink Standard Fare of £50 refused. He says (and is prepared to go to court and for computer records to be checked) that he thought he had bought a ticket on the metrolink app, closed the app and when he reopened it for the inspection it said there had been an error buying the ticket and it might be still in the basket - it wasn't. My first thought was insufficient funds but he checked that and he was solvent.

We both feel aggrieved - I will of course pay to stop it escalating but is there anything else I can do? Unfortunately I do get the impression that when the rpi wouldn't look at the error in detail my son may have been less than polite to her.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LisaH

That's helpful! I had wondered about Transport Focus but it looks like Transport for Greater Manchester are a better bet.

Flamingo

Established Member
One question - what is a DS? All I can think of is a Detective Sergeant, or type of hand-held Nintendo, neither of which fit the context.

LisaH

DS is Darling Son - but it was used sarcastically! He's gone on holiday and left me to sort this. Unfortunately his card wasn't debited

Established Member
Would be covered by TfGM's condition 7.4 - ticket must be .... on the screen of your smart phone ... at any time when embarking a vehicle

ie "The ticket" (White screen, ticket price, description, animated security features) must be produced before boarding as per the condition above.

In terms of the penalty / punishment for not activating tickets prior to boarding, the £50 fare charged (similar to a civil penalty) is somewhat preferable to other operators of similar app-based ticketing.

Arriva Trains Wales said:
You may also be liable to a fine and/or prosecution if you fail to activate a mobile ticket before boarding.
- ie. dealt with by a criminal court.

LisaH

I rang Metrolink this morning and spoke to a lovely lady. I was told that this is happening a fair bit but the Terms and Conditions do say you MUST check the sale has gone through before getting onto the tram and the process has to be followed so everyone is treated fairly. However, for whatever reason, and I am aware I was/my D*DS is extremely lucky, a letter is going to be sent out reiterating the importance of checking and the fine has been rescinded.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I rang Metrolink this morning and spoke to a lovely lady. I was told that this is happening a fair bit but the Terms and Conditions do say you MUST check the sale has gone through before getting onto the tram and the process has to be followed so everyone is treated fairly. However, for whatever reason, and I am aware I was/my D*DS is extremely lucky, a letter is going to be sent out reiterating the importance of checking and the fine has been rescinded.

I'm very pleased to see you had a positive outcome. I, unfortunately, was not so lucky (bought a day ticket but a system error activated my ticket for the wrong day, so I effectively lost £5 which was taken from my account which I consider stealing) however last time I was in Manchester I did not buy a ticket and was not checked on any of the nine tram journeys I made so we are even now. I have since deleted the app and just bought day tickets from the machine since.

Their app has serious problems and should be looked at immediately. I did advise TfGM this however they were having none of it.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm very pleased to see you had a positive outcome. I, unfortunately, was not so lucky (bought a day ticket but a system error activated my ticket for the wrong day...)
I seem to remember that it was user, rather than system, error in your case as the app worked exactly as per design, just not how you expected it to.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't see a great deal to be gained by going back over that previous incident now.

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't see a great deal to be gained by going back over that previous incident now.
Neither do I, particularly, but DanTrainMan185 brought it up as an example of how the app 'has serious problems' - even though it actually worked as per design in his case and LisaH's son didn't appear to have completed the purchase process (no money debited). So I was struggling to see the point he is making.

Status
Not open for further replies.