• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Can't remember whether there was a hearing test or not

There will be.

I'd expect positive news from a phone call; seems to be the thing with recruitment now - good news in person, bad news via email!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marlow

Hi

Anyone know what the medical consists of?

basic tick box form
Blood pressure check
eye test
hearing test
breathalyzer for alcohol
pee in a cup drugs check (sent away to a lab, not done on site)

Marlow

Nope! Nothing all afternoon...

Will try again in the morning!

Try emailing them if you have a contact in HR, I did that after similar thing of phone ringing off the hook back at the start of the process.

(I only have personal email addresses from my own correspondence with them and not comfortable giving them out, just in case you ask!)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Cheers, I have no contact apart from a first name, so will just have to keep calling tomorrow.

It seems odd that they would invite people to assessment by phone? I'd have thought phone calls would be for good news once you've passed all the assessments! :-/

Marlow

Cheers, I have no contact apart from a first name, so will just have to keep calling tomorrow.

It seems odd that they would invite people to assessment by phone? I'd have thought phone calls would be for good news once you've passed all the assessments! :-/

Pretty sure I got invited via phone call mate...

martin2345uk

Established Member
Pretty sure I got invited via phone call mate...

Ah okay fair enough, I will just have to keep calling tomorrow :)

If it is an assessment invite that would be very exciting, in years of applying for jobs on the railways I have never ever got to any assessment stage ever :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Finally got through to them at Metrolink :)

I have been invited to an assessment day at Queen's Road this Tuesday, starting at 6.30am! :o

Marlow

Finally got through to them at Metrolink :)

I have been invited to an assessment day at Queen's Road this Tuesday, starting at 6.30am! :o

Wicked mate, can see from your posts on here you've been after this for a while, well done and good luck :)

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks! Only thing I'm now very confused about is this part of the email invite:

Please ensure that you bring with you your driving licence, as well as counterpart, where applicable. If you fail to bring these then you will not be able to attend the assessment. We also ask for you to log onto www.gov.uk and to share your license details. You will be provided with a code which you should bring with you to the assessment day.

That's just the government services website home page, where is this code thing she's talking about?! (I've replied to her email to ask, just thought if anyone here might know the answer first!)

baz962

Established Member
Thanks! Only thing I'm now very confused about is this part of the email invite:

That's just the government services website home page, where is this code thing she's talking about?! (I've replied to her email to ask, just thought if anyone here might know the answer first!)

I am trying to remember if you go to the licence site I think you get a code to give to your employer, or in this case potential employer to allow them to see your licence online.

Marlow

I am trying to remember if you go to the licence site I think you get a code to give to your employer, or in this case potential employer to allow them to see your licence online.

Yep just go to the driving license section and there's an option to "share your details" and it eventually gives you a code. Take the code or print out the page and take it with you. It's just so they can check your points etc.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Ah that’s great thanks I’ve done that now :)))

Tonight will be spent trawling the forums to find out what tests I can expect and if it’s possible to have a bit of practice at any of them (“,)

Marlow

Random question - anyone know if metrolink do the cycle to work scheme? Imagine they do, but would that apply to a trainee?

(Yep, already spending money I don't have yet )

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just noticed that they are recruiting for drivers again! Closing date 15th December!?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Can I just ask anyone who knows, are the stated salaries inclusive of any shift/unsociable hours allowances?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Cheers mate.
2 final questions for tomorrow
  • I've read on here people going dressed smart and some casual; would smart be the recommendation?
  • Is it best to just park on a street new QR depot? I don't know the area well.

Thanks!

baz962

Established Member
Cheers mate.
  • I've read on here people going dressed smart and some casual; would smart be the recommendation?

Thanks!

oo good luck martin

Beeks

Cheers mate.

Thanks!

Definitely arrive smart..first impressions are everything

Also read up on Metrolink..owners/directors..a little about the lines. Focus on punctuality too as they like that (This is if your interview is on the same day..mine wasn't)

You can either park on the depot or the Irish Heritage car park which is at the top of the hill near the entrance gate

Good Luck!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Definitely arrive smart..first impressions are everything

Also read up on Metrolink..owners/directors..a little about the lines. Focus on punctuality too as they like that (This is if your interview is on the same day..mine wasn't)

You can either park on the depot or the Irish Heritage car park which is at the top of the hill near the entrance gate

Good Luck!

Cheers mate. I don't think the interview is same day, there's no mention of it on the agenda.

Marlow

Cheers mate. I don't think the interview is same day, there's no mention of it on the agenda.

Not to stress you but don't take that as gospel mate, mine didn't mention it either so I specifically asked, and they said yes there will be an interview.

Marlow

So I passed the medical and start in January, can't wait!

Look forward to seeing some of you out there!

Beeks

So I passed the medical and start in January, can't wait!

Look forward to seeing some of you out there!

No way!! Congratulations mate!

I started January this year..good time to learn in the adverse weather conditions

Well done and see you soon

Tz55uk

Hi all very new to this currently I'm a bus driver in Midlands and looking to relocate anywhere in UK for a trainee train driver jobs, but having no luck.

So I'm thinking of the Metrolink. I've made contact with my CV and I've had contact next day asking to do a application form

So pro and cons anybody?

I'm currently on 24K on a 4 day rota per week. Can I match this on Metrolink, plus have job stability etc?

Yours, Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Stooey

Hi guys...

Looking for a bit of advice plz... mainly from ppl in the job..

So i attended and passed assessment day, just medical to finish and estimated start of feb....
Questions... how hard are the training and tests??
What is the job like?? Is it enjoyable/ stressful etc...
Are the lines easy to learn??

Im asking as accepting the job is daunting as it means giving up my relatively safe and decent paid job and its scary incase i fail training stage or even dont like it..
Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.