• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezbian1804

Tuesday 9th January. I was also on the first assessment day which was 12th December. Don't know whether they do a first come first served policy. Maybe give them a call tomorrow?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stooey

Tuesday 9th January. I was also on the first assessment day which was 12th December. Don't know whether they do a first come first served policy. Maybe give them a call tomorrow?

I was day after you on both so will wait til later today then start mithering lol

LRV3004

Kezbian1804 and Stooey - try not to worry! When I applied for the job it was months before I heard anything, then everything suddenly seemed to happen at once! I'm guessing this will be the same for you guys. Once you're in, you're in - I've been a driver with Metrolink for just over 4 and a half years now and love it!

Kezbian1804

Kezbian1804 and Stooey - try not to worry! When I applied for the job it was months before I heard anything, then everything suddenly seemed to happen at once! I'm guessing this will be the same for you guys. Once you're in, you're in - I've been a driver with Metrolink for just over 4 and a half years now and love it!

It's great to see people have been doing it so long and still enjoy it .This is what I need. I'm all good, got my start date which is 26/02. Handed notice in with my previous employer and genuinely cannot wait to get started .

LRV3004

It's great to see people have been doing it so long and still enjoy it .This is what I need. I'm all good, got my start date which is 26/02. Handed notice in with my previous employer and genuinely cannot wait to get started .

Brilliant news, looking forward to working with you! Do you know what depot you'll be based at yet?

LRV3004

Do metrolink drivers get free ( officially or otherwise ) travel on local Northern Rail commuter routes ?

Not officially, although generally if you show your Metrolink pass to the conductor before you board the train, 9/10 times you'll be OK. If you're in uniform travelling to/from work, you probably won't even need to ask either, but do it just out of courtesy I would say.

Stooey

Update guys.... just sent an email to emma at HR and she confirmed all medical results came back fine and just awaiting shifts and start date, which for me is end of march, made up, finally off the buses

Kezbian1804

Brilliant news, looking forward to working with you! Do you know what depot you'll be based at yet?

Sorry for the delay in responding LRV, mad weekend driving to Heathrow and back to pick family up and then a family party yesterday. I'm not sure yet of what depot I'm going to be based at, I'm hoping that I'll be based at Queens Road as I live at that side of Manchester so would be perfect but if it ends up being Trafford then no dramas. I was of the impression that we worked out of both QR and Trafford?

All I know is it that training starts for me 4 weeks today at Queens Road Depot and I should get my contract through the post within the week so fingers crossed. Have had my shift patterns confirmed though. Middles and Lates which I was expecting to be honest based on what the crew supervisor at the assessment was saying.

I'm very excited in case you've not guessed :)

Stooey - shame you're not on the February course buddy, would've been nice to put a face to a name as such. You never know, someone may be unable to make the Feb course and you might get nudged forward. I know in my conversations with HR I was given the impression that it was decided based on notice period, date of assessment etc...

LRV3004

Sounds like you've been busy then! I'm based at Trafford as I live over that way, although my contract says I may be needed to work at Queens Road as required. I would assume this will be the case with you, although I reckon you'll only be trained on one route or two to begin with so I suspect you'll be at Queens Road most of the time.
You'll most likely be depot trained for Old Trafford in case you do need to cover a duty there (if you can drive the route requiring cover), or if you need to take a vehicle on/off there.
I won't overload you with information at this stage, but feel free to drop me a PM if you do have any questions about the job! In the meantime, congratulations once again! :)

Kezbian1804

Thanks LRV3004 - I might be calling on you sooner than you think! I'm awaiting the contract to drop through the door. I might drop you a message over the next few weeks if I've got any burning questions if that's okay? Been working 9-5 Monday-Friday for the past 5 years (minus 8 months when I was managing a mobile phone shop) so I'm looking forward to the change and the smaller amount of miles my poor car will have to have inflicted upon it due to my role.

Thanks!

LRV3004

Thanks LRV3004 - I might be calling on you sooner than you think! I'm awaiting the contract to drop through the door. I might drop you a message over the next few weeks if I've got any burning questions if that's okay? Been working 9-5 Monday-Friday for the past 5 years (minus 8 months when I was managing a mobile phone shop) so I'm looking forward to the change and the smaller amount of miles my poor car will have to have inflicted upon it due to my role.

Thanks!

No worries, feel free to drop me a message any time regarding any questions! Try not to feel too overwhelmed by any information I do give you though - it will all become clearer during your training course! :)

Stooey

I cant wait to get stuck in now tbh, wish i was starting end of feb but not to worry

BOULDER

How was the Cables And Dials test stooey, kezbian or anybody else. Is it reading priority from 4 dials.

Last edited:

Stooey

Hi boulder, everyone is different obviously but i found cables dead easy, i managed to get to 38 out of 43.... 4 dials with an arrow in each and you have to prioritise them in order

Kezbian1804

How was the Cables And Dials test stooey, kezbian or anybody else. Is it reading priority from 4 dials and are there questions on pulleys, levers and gears?

Same as Stooey. Once you've got your head around the concept of the Dials Test it's dead easy. Essentially you've to work out from a series of 4 dials which one must take priority. There's 4 quadrants on this dial and you've to ascertain which one is more critical by the lower it appears on the dial. For example:

A is in 2
B is in 4
C is in 3
D is in 1

That means by logic that the correct answer is D, A, C, B. Ultimately it's a case of the lower the needle the more critical it is. However, in other cases it could be as the following:

A is in 2
B is in 4
C is in 1 pointing to a reading of 8
D is in 1 pointing to a reading of 12

Again in that instance the correct answer would be C, D, A, B. (C takes priority over D as it is at a lower reading). I scored 32/43 on the test. It isn't about how many you get done, they're more interested in speed and accuracy. Have you got a confirmed assessment date?

baz962

Established Member
Same as Stooey. Once you've got your head around the concept of the Dials Test it's dead easy. Essentially you've to work out from a series of 4 dials which one must take priority. There's 4 quadrants on this dial and you've to ascertain which one is more critical by the lower it appears on the dial. For example:

A is in 2
B is in 4
C is in 3
D is in 1

That means by logic that the correct answer is D, A, C, B. Ultimately it's a case of the lower the needle the more critical it is. However, in other cases it could be as the following:

A is in 2
B is in 4
C is in 1 pointing to a reading of 8
D is in 1 pointing to a reading of 12

Again in that instance the correct answer would be C, D, A, B. (C takes priority over D as it is at a lower reading). I scored 32/43 on the test. It isn't about how many you get done, they're more interested in speed and accuracy. Have you got a confirmed assessment date?

Also to point out, although the reading could be lower, the dial could be higher, watch out for that.

BOULDER

Great info guys thanks for that. They have my application so maybe in the next round I might get a shot at it.

BOULDER

Also, Stooey, Kezbian or anybody else, how far down the SCAAT sheets did you get on each of the 3 sub sections. Guessing you got more on section 1 than 2 or 3. Cheers.

Stooey

Boulder..... i got about 3/4 down the page pretty much the same on all 3 on the last section make sure you cross the very 1st symbol out too... make sure u work left to right top to bottom too..

Got my start date gutted tho kezbian as its march 26th ...

BOULDER

Stooey that sounds like you got quite far down, others on here have said a third to a half way down. Guess there's bus job going in March then.

Stooey

I proper concentrated and blitzed it and yep thats me off the buses ...... yeehaa

Kezbian1804

I got about half way down and 3/4 of the way down on most of them. Bit of a mixture to be honest. Got my contract through the other day as well so it's official now. Genuinely can't wait to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.