• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btom

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice or guidance on how to approach a fine I received for travelling on the Manchester Metrolink without a ticket.

A week ago I made a journey from West Didsbury to MediacityUK without a ticket. Unfortunately I lost my job last month due to the company I worked for entering insolvency with no notice and lost out on a month's pay. I got on the metrolink without a ticket as I needed to get to a job interview, I knew the risk and that what I was doing was wrong but due to living on next to nothing recently I decided it was worth the risk. I'd intended to walk but in true Manchester style it was tipping it down.

At Firswood some inspectors entered the train, I admitted immediately that I had knowingly boarded without a ticket, briefly explained and apologised. They were absolutely fine and explained that a fine of £50 would be issued to me. They were also kind enough to validate my travel to the interview and home again as part of this fine.

My issue is that the fine has come out and it states that I have 14 days to pay £50, 21 days to pay £100 and after that it will immediately proceed to prosecution.

Luckily I got the job I was travelling to but due to dates I will not receive my first pay cheque until day 24 following issue of the fine. I am completely happy to pay but equally completely unable to do so before that date, I'm using food charities and have received a loan from my new workplace for travel expenses for the next few weeks.

What would be the best way of approaching metrolink (or keolis amey who have issued the letter)? Would I be likely to receive an extension given the circumstances? If not what are the ramifications if they do prosecute? I've only just started to get back on my feet and the last thing I need is to be in court.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johntea

Established Member
Pay the £50

And in future start trying to save some money for a similar 'rainy day'!

Btom

Pay the £50

I'm quite happy to pay £50 or £100. The issue is that I don't have it until I get paid after the 21 day deadline they've provided.

It's quite hard to save money for a rainy day when your job announces you're out of work and they're insolvent at the end of a month, leaving you without work or a full month's pay you previously worked for.

I'm asking for advice on the likelihood of then extending this and whether anyone has any insight on how best to approach them.

vidal

Pay the £50

I think the OP has stated he has every intention of paying the £50. As for saving, he may have exhausted savings when made unemployed, I think someone once said we are only three paydays from bankruptcy.

As to the OP's question, could you send a post dated cheque to Keolis Amey with a covering letter explaining your circumstances?

James

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You are going to need to find a way to pay the £50 (or £100 if not quick enough) on time. It is unlikely leniency will be shown.

Will your employer perhaps offer an advance knowing that you have been unemployed? (Not sure I'd tell them the precise reason, though :) )

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I appreciate that these suggestions may not be suitable for everyone, but:

- will they accept payment by credit card? If so, that might be a short term way of paying the fine.
- will your bank give you a/extend your overdraft? They may be willing to do so if you can show them details of your new employment.
- have you tried phoning them up? They may be willing to agree a time to pay arrangement - but you will have to ask to find out!

James Wake

You received a standard fare, similar to a penalty fare on the railways, not a fine. I echo the other comments to pay the £50 as soon as possible, either by the helpful options Fawkes Cat has listed, a phone call to discuss situation wouldn’t be a bad idea, or possibly is there anyone you can borrow the money from for a short period of time? Congratulations on getting the job in the interview and I hope everything goes well with it when you start.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
What would be the best way of approaching metrolink (or keolis amey who have issued the letter)? Would I be likely to receive an extension given the circumstances? If not what are the ramifications if they do prosecute?
Let me preface this by saying that I don't have any specific knowledge or experience of Metrolink, so this is general advice.

The best way to go about this is by taking exactly the same attitude you have here: admit the offence and ask for leniency. To be honest, most of the time TOCs ask for payment in full because once they accept part-payment they lose the ability to prosecute (or at least it becomes a lot more difficult). That said, if you explain your circumstances fully you might be able to come to an arrangement (e.g. they continue with the process towards prosecution but don't seek an early court date). If they do prosecute then it would likely be under their Byelaw 4.1 which, much like the Railway Byelaw 18, is a strict liability offence and, again like the Railway Byelaws, is subject to a Level 3 fine on conviction.

As I understand it, that means that conviction would result in a fine of around 1/3 your weekly income but would not be recorded and so would not (in normal circumstances) show up on a DBS check.

I echo the advice of other posters that you should seek some legal and safe means to borrow the £50 as that is the only sure way to make this matter go away completely.

island

Veteran Member
If you have a cheque book you could post a cheque for the standard fare at the last moment. The clearing cycle will hopefully mean your salary will have gone in by the time the cheque hits your bank.

Btom

You should be able to claim money from the National Insurance Fund if your employer has become insolvent. I don't know how quickly they process these things, but hopefully it'd be within the 21 days at most?

Already on this but unfortunately it's unlikely to be completed in the timeframe needed.

Thank you all for the replies, I've emailed them today essentially begging for a few extra days and outlining my situation whilst acknowledging the wrongdoing. I'll follow up if I haven't heard back by the weekend, annoyingly they only provide an email on the letter. I'm also keeping an ear to the ground for other work opportunities, I've done temp shifts at a few places before that have paid quickly so hopefully I might get some cash that way.

I'll have to see what happens, if it comes down to it I might try the ideas people out forward with cheques.

Established Member
0161 205 0955, (Call between 0930-1630) have your ticket number to hand when you call.

Ask if they can set up a payment plan. Will give you a much longer period of time to pay it in bits, but will be £100.

Trackman

Established Member
To the OP - I'd ring that the number @185 has provided on Monday as it's revenue recovery.
Make sure they stop the clock if they agree to a payment plan, and have it in writing.

Mathew S

Established Member
Already on this but unfortunately it's unlikely to be completed in the timeframe needed.

Thank you all for the replies, I've emailed them today essentially begging for a few extra days and outlining my situation whilst acknowledging the wrongdoing. I'll follow up if I haven't heard back by the weekend, annoyingly they only provide an email on the letter. I'm also keeping an ear to the ground for other work opportunities, I've done temp shifts at a few places before that have paid quickly so hopefully I might get some cash that way.

I'll have to see what happens, if it comes down to it I might try the ideas people out forward with cheques.
Congratulations on getting the job, first of all
Depending how amenable Metrolink are, one option might be to speak very, very nicely to your bank and see if they will give you a small overdraft until you get your first payday. This is exactly the kind of situation overdrafts are designed for and, if you make sure you pay it off as soon as you get your first payday from the new job, it shouldn't cost you more than a few quid. Explain to the bank that you're expecting money from the national insurance fund and they might be more co-operative.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Congratulations on getting the job, first of all
Depending how amenable Metrolink are, one option might be to speak very, very nicely to your bank and see if they will give you a small overdraft until you get your first payday. This is exactly the kind of situation overdrafts are designed for and, if you make sure you pay it off as soon as you get your first payday from the new job, it shouldn't cost you more than a few quid. Explain to the bank that you're expecting money from the national insurance fund and they might be more co-operative.

Sorry, but as stated earlier, payments from that fund are not quick, and can take a long time. I doubt any bank would accept it as a "surety".
See here:
https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/apply-money-owed

Apply for money you're owed
You’re eligible to apply if:

• you were an employee
  • you’re a UK or EEA national (or a foreign national with permission to work in the UK)
If you’re not eligible (for example you’re a contractor) register as a creditor instead.

1. Apply for redundancy, unpaid wages and holiday within 6 months of being dismissed. You request to claim for loss of notice pay (‘statutory notice pay’) in your application.

2. If you requested to claim statutory notice pay, you’ll get sent a letter telling you when you can apply.
Claiming for redundancy, unpaid wages and holiday pay
You can apply as soon as you’ve been made redundant. The person dealing with the insolvency (the ‘insolvency practitioner’ or ‘official receiver’) will give you a ‘CN’ (case reference) number. You cannot claim without the CN number.

You must apply for redundancy pay within 6 months of being dismissed.

The application will ask if you want to apply for statutory notice pay. Choosing ‘Yes’ does not mean you’ve applied. You’ll be told when to apply.

Apply for redundancy, unpaid wages and holiday online.

Claiming for loss of notice pay (‘statutory notice pay’)
You need an ‘LN’ reference number to make a claim. It’ll be sent after your notice period would have ended. This is usually no more than 12 weeks after you’re dismissed.

You must apply for redundancy first - even if you’re not owed any money.

Employees at the same business can have different notice periods.

Once you have the LN reference number, claim online for loss of notice.

Money you get (or could have got) by claiming benefits will be deducted from your payment.

Help completing the online forms
Contact the Redundancy Payments Service if you do not have access to the internet. You’ll need your case reference number or National Insurance number.

Redundancy Payments Service
[email protected]
Telephone: 0330 331 0020
Monday and Tuesday, 9am to 5pm
Wednesday, 10:30am to 5pm
Thursday and Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Mathew S

Established Member
Sorry, but as stated earlier, payments from that fund are not quick, and can take a long time. I doubt any bank would accept it as a "surety".
See here:
https://www.gov.uk/your-rights-if-your-employer-is-insolvent/apply-money-owed
I wasn't suggesting they would. It is, however, evidence that you're exploring all the options that are available in terms of supplementing your income. If you can point to something and say that, even though you're not sure when it will arrive, you expect to be receiving £x which will be used to pay off £y, it shows you've thought about what you're doing and are behaving responsibly.

Mikerafc

The best advice I can give is to ring metrolink they may give you an extension to pay but it will be for the 100£

Status
Not open for further replies.