• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink M5000 Fleet Status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
3022 has been branded with bees, to represent the worker bee, which has become a symbol of solidarity following the Manchester attack on 22 May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40151349

A tram paying tribute to the "spirit of Manchester" has begun to run on the city's Metrolink network.

​Tram 3022 has a design inspired by the worker bee, which has become a symbol of solidarity following the Manchester attack on 22 May.

It will carry people travelling to the One Love Manchester charity concert at Old Trafford cricket ground later.

Free travel on the service is being offered to those who show staff a ticket for the concert.

In the days following the terrorist attack at Ariana Grande's concert, hundreds of people queued at Manchester tattoo parlours to get bee tattoos.

One city centre studio was faced with 800 potential customers and an 80-year-old grandmother chose the bee as her first inking.

Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham said: "The incredible spirit of the people of Manchester has been what has sustained us all since last week.

"The Manchester Bee has taken on a new significance over recent days and it is fitting that we display it proudly as many of us head to what will be a memorable and moving event."

Lovely touch to be fair. Looks quite nice too!

Established Member
Does anyone know the depot allocations for the Metrolink fleet please?

Altfish

Does anyone know the depot allocations for the Metrolink fleet please?

I'm not sure they are allocated to one depot or the other.
3001-60 only can run on Altrincham and Bury lines but both depots service that line.

CC 72100

Established Member
There seems to have been some re-recording of announcements, with also some re-wording at the same time. They seem a lot quicker and more 'upbeat'. 3074 is the first one I've come across so far.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
There seems to have been some re-recording of announcements, with also some re-wording at the same time. They seem a lot quicker and more 'upbeat'. 3074 is the first one I've come across so far.

Yes! She sounds more enthusiastic (and similarly more Northern :lol:), she's loving MediaCity!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Sorry to bring up a somewhat old thread, but are more services running as doubles now and not just on days of United or City home matches? Swear I saw a double running the Etihad to Altrincham the other day and neither team were at home... so does that mean Alty gets constant doubles now, at least in the peaks?

Altfish

Sorry to bring up a somewhat old thread, but are more services running as doubles now and not just on days of United or City home matches? Swear I saw a double running the Etihad to Altrincham the other day and neither team were at home... so does that mean Alty gets constant doubles now, at least in the peaks?
It still tends to be Alty to Bury doubles, Alty to Ethiad singles except on match days.
There was a day when something happened in town (was it that slow speed shunt?) when they swapped them round for operational reasons.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It still tends to be Alty to Bury doubles, Alty to Ethiad singles except on match days.
There was a day when something happened in town (was it that slow speed shunt?) when they swapped them round for operational reasons.

Doubles on Alty to Etihad today and no match? Mind you there was a City home match last night...

Altfish

Just looked at my tram app for departures from Altrincham

Ethiad Campus 2mins single
Ethiad Campus 14mins double
Bury 16mins double
Ethiad Campus 22mins single

So not sure what is happening, using some spare units to double others up?

familyguy99

Just looked at my tram app for departures from Altrincham

Ethiad Campus 2mins single
Ethiad Campus 14mins double
Bury 16mins double
Ethiad Campus 22mins single

So not sure what is happening, using some spare units to double others up?

TFGM have confirm that new substation on Altrincham and Bury lines are now allowed more double trams to run on them lines so this seem to be reason into why both of your are seeing more double trams along Altrincham route.

https://tfgm.com/news/more-trams-for-metrolink-busiest-lines

More double trams will run at the busiest times on Metrolink’s two most-used tram lines.

Four extra trams will be used to run more ‘doubles’ at peak times on the Bury and Altrincham lines.

The news follows major investment in new electrical substations on these lines to power more double trams.

Last year the Bury and Altrincham lines alone carried more than 40% of all customer journeys, making them Metrolink’s busiest.

We own the Metrolink network and we’re responsible for planning for its future. We know more trams are needed so that Metrolink can continue to grow and keep people moving.

This is just the first step to help make more room for customers, and we want to make more improvements as soon as possible.

We’re looking closely at what we can do in the short term to make more room on other busy lines.

We’re also building a business case to bid for government funding for more trams.

Read the full news release for more information.

507 001

Established Member
There has been two double units out on ALT-ETIHADs for about 3 weeks now.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Think the Eccles Line could do with one or two doubles out, caught an Ashton service on Monday at 7am and it was very busy!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
We are now at the point where Metrolink is becoming a victim of it's own success, with the consistent rise it passenger numbers the network is now getting to the point where it is running out of available capacity. The substations on the Bury and Althincham line will help to an extent however there are only a finite amount of trams available to strengthen services and there will be even less when the Trafford Centre line opens. I believe TfGM are building up a business case for more trams which will help, but obviously will not be available for a good few years.
Attached shows the tram occupancy rates in the morning peak.
Sam

Attachments

• Capcity.png
    Capcity.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 51

Altfish

We are now at the point where Metrolink is becoming a victim of it's own success, with the consistent rise it passenger numbers the network is now getting to the point where it is running out of available capacity. The substations on the Bury and Althincham line will help to an extent however there are only a finite amount of trams available to strengthen services and there will be even less when the Trafford Centre line opens. I believe TfGM are building up a business case for more trams which will help, but obviously will not be available for a good few years.
Attached shows the tram occupancy rates in the morning peak.
Sam
Interesting diagram.
It should also be pointed out that that the Eccles/Media City Line has a high loading outbound in morning rush; I suspect the Airport line will be the same.

CC 72100

Established Member
Interesting diagram.
It should also be pointed out that that the Eccles/Media City Line has a high loading outbound in morning rush; I suspect the Airport line will be the same.

Indeed, when commuting on that line, being in the city centre for around 08:20 (so possibly 30 minutes or so before the main rush), trams to Mediacity were busier than city-bound services.

Altfish

I was on the tram from Altrincham to Manchester yesterday later than I'm normally, at about 0810.
I was again struck by how full the trams heading out of Manchester were. Mainly with school kids.

Dentonian

Established Member
Has the increase in patronage accelerated since 2CC opened? I'm wondering how much of the increase has literally spread to local rail services, bearing in mind all rail tickets to/from M'cr include cross city Metrolink. Conversely, how much has the increased patronage on both rail modes impacted on bus use? In the case of heavy rail, this might take longer to become clear as some some people switching from bus to rail will need to "resource" a car (as driver or passenger) to get to their nearest Station.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Some of the older lines saw slight falls while the 2CC works were taking place while the new lines were still growing, the patronage is returning to the old lines while the new continue to grow.

Dentonian

Established Member
I am told that 27 additional M5000s have been ordered earlier this week...

All part of a £243 million package agreed with Whitehall, in return for having an elected Mayor. Its £80 million on trams and £160 million for cycle lanes priorities. Other plans include changing Traffic Light priorities (very explicit) and turning Bus Lanes into HOV lanes, which has rekindled demands to scrap all bus lanes full stop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.