• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Mcr Recruitment July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan2021

Just been through the latest Recruitment process done via NetworkxRecruitment.

Advert was on Indeed.

Unfortunately failed at the 2nd psychometric testing phase at assessment in city centre last week. Was hoping to be able to get feedback but there is no clear pathway to do so. Result comes via 'do not reply' email and nothing on the NetworkxReruitment site that directs you to get feedback. Guess due to volume of applicants it's a no no.

Think the section that killed me was a 10 min piece to read/memorise details from 3 large passages relating to different aspects of H&S for a dummy org you work for.

Knew my retention would be tricky in only 10 mins. The multiple choice options don't give you an obvious common sense standout option. The answers/ options being very similar/subtle differences. Thought my only chance would be if answers stood out but they made it very difficult unless I guess you have done it before. Probably the harshest standard multiple choice assessment I can recall ever doing with such a short time to recall and answer the questions. Harder than anything in academic years in that format haha.

Any tips (if any) if I am to do this again in 6 months time?

Always find psychometric testing is very difficult to give you feedback on improving. A very rigid black & white format.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ButtonMoon

Networkx is an agency that Metrolink use, but I don't believe they are active in the recruitment process - my understanding is that they just provide the platform for communication. I wonder if emailing the 'donotreply' address, which I appreciate is against common sense, might reach them and they'll forward to Metrolink. The pre-assessment Metrolink emails do say "Please let us know if...." so that would suggest that Metrolink can be contacted, though I understand they had a significant number of applicants, so feedback may not be available.

As for your question on the tests themselves, I guess the obvious answer is lots of practice. There are SCAAT and Group Bourdon practice papers which will help you massively with those types of tests. The test on H&S rules was tough. I've found that writing down key points in these tests during the first 10 minutes helps - perhaps it's just the process of reading a sentence and summarising it down to a couple of words that helps to store it in the memory. Also ask yourself what specifics they're highlighting in the text - there will be lots of filler, but what are the things you're likely to be asked - colours, numbers, responsibilities, procedures, etc. Of course, the multiple choice answers are similar enough to lead you to doubt yourself. I imagine there are lots of similar practice tests online where you read a passage and then later answer questions, so again.... lots of practice. You could even get a partner to question you on a news or magazine article a few minutes after you've read it.

Best of luck for future applications.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Evening

Back in 2019, I attended a Metrolink assessment day, that included an interview, which took place in the conference suite at the Deansgate Hilton. It was for a non-driving, customer based role. Sadly, I lost out to an internal candidate.

However, I too made a couple of attempts to gain feedback. I e-mailed the HR girl from Keolis Amey who originally sent my 'invitation to assessment' e-mail and this was ignored.

Two weeks later, I then went through the Metrolink customer services e-mail system to ask for feedback (on a second attempt). One of the customer service centre staff promptly replied to me - he forwarded my e-mail to their HR with his own footnote (he 'CC'd me into the message) - yet again this was ignored!!!!

I gave up on the feedback in the end!!!!

CJ

Spartan2021

Networkx is an agency that Metrolink use, but I don't believe they are active in the recruitment process - my understanding is that they just provide the platform for communication. I wonder if emailing the 'donotreply' address, which I appreciate is against common sense, might reach them and they'll forward to Metrolink. The pre-assessment Metrolink emails do say "Please let us know if...." so that would suggest that Metrolink can be contacted, though I understand they had a significant number of applicants, so feedback may not be available.

As for your question on the tests themselves, I guess the obvious answer is lots of practice. There are SCAAT and Group Bourdon practice papers which will help you massively with those types of tests. The test on H&S rules was tough. I've found that writing down key points in these tests during the first 10 minutes helps - perhaps it's just the process of reading a sentence and summarising it down to a couple of words that helps to store it in the memory. Also ask yourself what specifics they're highlighting in the text - there will be lots of filler, but what are the things you're likely to be asked - colours, numbers, responsibilities, procedures, etc. Of course, the multiple choice answers are similar enough to lead you to doubt yourself. I imagine there are lots of similar practice tests online where you read a passage and then later answer questions, so again.... lots of practice. You could even get a partner to question you on a news or magazine article a few minutes after you've read it.

Best of luck for future applications.
Really appreciate the reply Phil.

Some food for thought there.

Will try to get in touch with them to see.

Thanks
S

Status
Not open for further replies.