• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink PSR job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

goldsounds

I was told by Wes that some chaps have been waiting for a while to start the job, how long have you been waiting?

Since the middle of last year. Either way I am not fussed as I have applied for various jobs and getting good responses. Now I have all the paperwork its now deciding which employer is the best. I am keeping this offer as an insurance job incase all my other offers fall through.

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Had the call from Metrolink today; inviting me to a medical, with a view to starting on June 11th. The wanted me to squeeze into an appointment today at short notice but couldn't - so awaiting an appointment to see the doctor. here's hoping everything goes to plan now!

Woolsty

Had the call from Metrolink today; inviting me to a medical, with a view to starting on June 11th. The wanted me to squeeze into an appointment today at short notice but couldn't - so awaiting an appointment to see the doctor. here's hoping everything goes to plan now!

How did you get on ? Did you start on the 11th , if so hows it going..

Mattmatt

Hi Woolsty;

I started on the 11th! after finding out on the monday morning at 09:00, something along the lines of yes you've passed your medical now get down to Queens Rd Dept to start your training!

It's been great so far! im almost at the end of the 2nd week of training, we've done lots of customer service training along with being thrown out on the Oldham Line on our 4th day, showing customers how to use the TVM's and general advice!

All the training staff are great, all welcoming and friendly, we've been out on the system a couple of times and today we've been doing scenarios on dealing with customers with no tickets etc, we'll be doing radio training & de-tramming passengers tomorrow!

I feel quite pleased to be given the offer of a job, as there was over 700 hundred applicants for the 8 jobs! One chap on our course has been waiting since last November to start! once we've done the class training we'll be out on shift with our 'coaches' to see us through a couple of weeks out doing the job for real!

It's been a while now, did you get through or are you waiting for the call on a medical etc?

Established Member
& I believe you met a rather loud drunken chap on a tram in the depot today ;)

Woolsty

Hi Woolsty;

I started on the 11th! after finding out on the monday morning at 09:00, something along the lines of yes you've passed your medical now get down to Queens Rd Dept to start your training!

It's been great so far! im almost at the end of the 2nd week of training, we've done lots of customer service training along with being thrown out on the Oldham Line on our 4th day, showing customers how to use the TVM's and general advice!

All the training staff are great, all welcoming and friendly, we've been out on the system a couple of times and today we've been doing scenarios on dealing with customers with no tickets etc, we'll be doing radio training & de-tramming passengers tomorrow!

I feel quite pleased to be given the offer of a job, as there was over 700 hundred applicants for the 8 jobs! One chap on our course has been waiting since last November to start! once we've done the class training we'll be out on shift with our 'coaches' to see us through a couple of weeks out doing the job for real!

It's been a while now, did you get through or are you waiting for the call on a medical etc?

Matt, i got through the interview stages now just waiting on the medical, CRB check was sent off in May.
Hopefully will get to start in the next round of recruitment which i am led to believe will be when the East Manchester line opens sometime in Autumn.
Sounds like you are enjoying everything so far.
Will you still be going for the driver assesment day ?

Mattmatt

Matt, i got through the interview stages now just waiting on the medical, CRB check was sent off in May.
Hopefully will get to start in the next round of recruitment which i am led to believe will be when the East Manchester line opens sometime in Autumn.
Sounds like you are enjoying everything so far.
Will you still be going for the driver assesment day ?

No I've decided that I'd rather be doing the PSR job for a while, so I can get to know the company, staff & the job. It would be rather daft of me to start this then dump it for a drivers role. The way i see it is that other opportunities will come about, given the massive amount of investment into the company; with all the new lines etc. I'm told they are looking at September for the East Manc Line, so you'll be called in just before it opens!

& I believe you met a rather loud drunken chap on a tram in the depot today ;)

Oh that was a laugh!, and the old man going on holiday! - "ENGLAND......" :lol:

vaughnios2012

Hi Guys,

I had an interview on the 20th April 2012 at Old Trafford. It was a fantastic day staffed by great people and a real buzz and enjoyment to the role. Many things were discussed and Wes did make us aware line openings were subject to successful testing and completion, I passed the interview and assessment with flying colours, I had my interview with Craig (PSR Manager) I went back to complete my CRB check which come back all clear :) when I spoke to Wes a few weeks ago he said Carla is taking care of the medicals and I will just need to wait on a letter but no set date as to when this is happening. Has anyone else heard anything?

Regards,

Chris.

Established Member
I believe the start dates for PSR new entrants might be relative to the new lines opening dates.

Mind you I'll believe anything. Even Santa Claus and Fairies. ;)

lupol

As the above poster said, I too believe this to be the case. I've been offered the position as a driver and I was told that medicals should be in August with a view to starting in September. As the training period for drivers is 3 months that would mean that I would start in December which I'm guessing is when the next line opens.

Established Member
Nah, next new line should be well before December. Possible end of August / start of September.

Three new lines / extensions are pretty imminent.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Nah, next new line should be well before December. Possible end of August / start of September.

Three new lines / extensions are pretty imminent.

That would be ace, but I'll believe it when I see it! ;) I assume it's Rochdale, Droylsden and East Didsbury you're talking about...

Established Member
Won't be Rochdale for a while, but Shaw (mid-way) is looking not too far away.

East Didsbury is close.

Droylesden looks closest.

Anyone's guess at the moment though, still subject to work being completed / signed off / tested.

Woolsty

According to the workforce manager on the EML they hand over the section to Droylsden completed at the end of July , seeing is believing as it should have been open and running in May !!
Test trams have run overnight and the electrics have proved a problem.
Hopefully not too far away from opening.
I had my interview on 20/4 , CRB done on 3/5 and im still waiting for it to come back.
Spoke to Wes who states these things can take up to 12 weeks, fingers crossed its back before the recruitment process begins.

Monty

Established Member
Anyone got any updates, still waiting for a position as a PSR.

Have you tried giving recruitment a polite call and ask if there is a possibility of a position being made available anytime soon? If the metrolink are anything like the railway recruiting departments, it is not unbelievable that they may have forgotten about you.

I had to chase up my own application to see if I had been successful for a guards post, and I was an internal applicant! :lol:

Established Member
As mentioned before, the new recruit batches start each time a line opens. MediaCity, SML, Oldham - all three had a batch of staff taken on around the opening time.

Next batches depend on final confirmed opening dates for other lines. That date is never made public until last minute, quite understandably.

Maybe worth keeping an eye on the two Skyscraper City threads (New Lines Thread and the Metrolink General Thread) to get an idea of when the next intake is likely to appear. Some good updates on there.....
New Lines http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=866944&page=1138
General http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=584932&page=863

Woolsty

Well the EML will not be open before Xmas, due to electric cabling all being replaced along it'd entire length. Estimated 12-14 weeks worth of work. Some cables are over 80 years old.

beavercreek

Im not sure were you have got that information from but the EML should be open by early December this year.The commissioning and driver training is due to start next month and the problem with the junction on Sheffield St has had the VRS loop fitted.
They also need more drivers so I've heard that more vacancies will be announced soon.

Woolsty

Im not sure were you have got that information from but the EML should be open by early December this year.The commissioning and driver training is due to start next month and the problem with the junction on Sheffield St has had the VRS loop fitted.
They also need more drivers so I've heard that more vacancies will be announced soon.

Info is from a letter sent out by TFGM, work commences 10/9, estimated to take 12/14 weeks. Sent to loca businesses in the area. Assume even once cables fitted they will have to carry out further testing.

vaughnios2012

Hi Guys,

Anyone heard anything about the PSR Job yet?
I had my interview and assessment on the 20th April. Passed CRB now waiting on Medical. I rang up today and spoke with Craig and he said new line opening are looking at December time roughly and to ring back in 2 weeks as they may have more of an idea about the Medicals. So I am going to ring back in 2 weeks. Woolsty have you given Metrolink a call yet?

Chris.

Woolsty

I bumped into Wes a few weeks back who gave no indication of opening dates. I am also led to.believe that Metrolink are looking to change employment hours for new PSR roles to keytime hours only. Not sure how true this is. If I don't hear soon I will ring them.

vaughnios2012

I dont think they will do that woolsty. I think if anything they will be the same as what they said to us back in April. So all should be ok. Give it a couple of weeks. Did you recieve your CRB back? and have you had a medical yet?

Im just waiting on getting a medical, told I will get a letter through the post with the date on.

Woolsty

I never got a copy of othe CRB but I'm assured its been received by Metrolink. Still not going to hold my breath on a start date , they are still laying cable along the EML. Will just sit tight and see what happens.

Woolsty

Anyone had a letter with regards to medicals ? I had my medical 12/11, hopefully start date not too far away now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well having completed the medical I now have a start date for the 10/12 !!! So need to take advantage of my M&S discount card before leaving.

vaughnios2012

Hi Woolsty!

Congratulations

Im just waiting on getting my start date now..did they ring you or did you get a letter through the post??

Chris.

beavercreek

Welcome to the happy club.
Don't be like the other PSR's eating pizzas and kebabs at dinner time and eat healthy like us drivers.

vaughnios2012

Good one!

Have you been with the team long now beavercreek?

Looking forward to starting!

When the date comes through if its letter or phone call..

Woolsty

Medical was on the 12th , got a letter on the 19th confirming the start date.

Hi Woolsty!

Congratulations

Im just waiting on getting my start date now..did they ring you or did you get a letter through the post??

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.