• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink To Withdraw First T68

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernrail

Manchester Metrolink are soon to withdraw T68 number 1011 from service, it will have currently have its ATS removed so that further M5000's can be put into service.

1011 is due for withdrawl in the next couple of weeks at the latest.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Manchester Metrolink Have now withdrawn T68 number 1011 from service, it is currently having its ATS removed to that further M5000's can be put into service.

As a personal lover of the T68's, RIP 1011.......

Is it going to be converted to some kind of maintaince machine, scrapped, preserved or sold to another system?

northernrail

Is it going to be converted to some kind of maintaince machine, scrapped, preserved or sold to another system?

id say Scrapped.....they have the SPV (Diesel Loco) for maintenance, ive heard nothing from any preservation society's and as far as im aware theirs no system that could use them or want them

Anon Mouse

Established Member
id say Scrapped.....they have the SPV (Diesel Loco) for maintenance, ive heard nothing from any preservation society's and as far as im aware theirs no system that could use them or want them

It would be a useful exhibt in that Museum near Salford or somewhere like the NRM (if they were not so steam orientated). Maybe somewhere in Eastern Europe could use them? IIRC loads of Amsterdam trams went to somewhere like Bosnia

northernrail

It would be a useful exhibt in that Museum near Salford or somewhere like the NRM (if they were not so steam orientated). Maybe somewhere in Eastern Europe could use them? IIRC loads of Amsterdam trams went to somewhere like Bosnia

The problem is there High floors and unreliability.....

Nym

Established Member
They could use them on the Harrogate Loop?

Or maybe stack 63 car batteries in one of the carriages and use it on the East Lancs Railway?

How come the're removing the ATS for an M5000 tram, one would have thought they'd come ready in...

Perhaps even use it as a testbed to see about making a tram-train by slotting a diesel generator into the unit.

12CSVT

Established Member
It seems ironic that they are starting to withdraw the T68s when they spent years fixing the electrics on no. 2001, which was re-instated to traffic a few months ago.

northernrail

It seems ironic that they are starting to withdraw the T68s when they spent years fixing the electrics on no. 2001, which was re-instated to traffic a few months ago.

2001 will have to be one of the last to go then, the T68a's are younger than the T68's so in some cases in better condition.

Geeves

Established Member
I think the T68a 2000 series ones are supposed to have more reliable electronics? Although 2001 puts a dampener on that :lol:. I have heard that all the 2000 series will be modified to the same systems currently in use in 2001 so they should be around a little longer.

Still I agree very sad to hear about the first T68 to be retired. I didn't think it would be so soon! I'm still saying they should semi-permanently couple two T68 sets up and run they are crowd busters rather than scrapping. Until Mosley Street is closed they cant run double M5000s as they have no steps.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It would be a useful exhibit in that Museum near Salford or somewhere like the NRM (if they were not so steam orientated).

It would be a useful exhibit addition to the collection of the Museum of Science and Industry, as not all their exhibits are steam engines. I recall seeing the cab section of a Class 76 electric engine being displayed, but the available space may well militate against the display of a T68 there.

northernrail

They could use them on the Harrogate Loop?

Or maybe stack 63 car batteries in one of the carriages and use it on the East Lancs Railway?

How come the're removing the ATS for an M5000 tram, one would have thought they'd come ready in...

Perhaps even use it as a testbed to see about making a tram-train by slotting a diesel generator into the unit.

Only M5000's 3001-3012 came fitted with the ATS, 3013 was Retro-fitted when 3001 and 3002 were out of service, 3014-3016 have been retro-fitted for the South Manchester Line opening and now more M5000's are having the ATS fitted to carry on service+the Oldham line.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
It would be a useful exhibit addition to the collection of the Museum of Science and Industry, as not all their exhibits are steam engines. I recall seeing the cab section of a Class 76 electric engine being displayed, but the available space may well militate against the display of a T68 there.

Yeah, thats the museum I was on about, they have a Tommy in NS livery in their as well. Maybe at least half an articulated unit or a cab may find space?

Geeves

Established Member
That one at the museum is only half a carriage and made out of wood, hardly preserving the real thing!

Established Member
Manchester Metrolink Have now withdrawn T68 number 1011 from service, it is currently having its ATS removed to that further M5000's can be put into service.

As a personal lover of the T68's, RIP 1011.......

Are u sure? Fairly certain I was on it today at RAD.

northernrail

Its either out of service now, or very soon, what ive heard is that its had its ATS stripped so that 3024 can come into service,

EDIT: I have no changed the title and opening post, 1011 id due for withdraw in the next couple of weeks

Last edited:

Peter Jones

T68 tram 1011 was still in service today, sunday 11th March 2012,operating strengthened services on the Altrincham line in connection with the Man Utd versus West Brom game.

It was paired with tram 1015. I travelled on it back from Old Trafford to Piccadilly Gardens.

New trams 3018 and 3024 were also both out, 3018 on an Eccles service and 3024 on a St Werburgh Road service.

Peter Jones

The Sage

How are they in such bad condition? The T &W metro cars are a decade older and not due for replacement any time soon!

WatcherZero

Established Member
How are they in such bad condition? The T &W metro cars are a decade older and not due for replacement any time soon!

Theyve been running on street which is a much more harmful environment, for example when roads are salted in winter.

pemma

Veteran Member
Theyve been running on street which is a much more harmful environment, for example when roads are salted in winter.

True but the Manchester Metrolink has less street running than the Berlin and Potsdam tram systems and they retain trams that are older than the T68s alongside newer trams.

futureA

True but the Manchester Metrolink has less street running than the Berlin and Potsdam tram systems and they retain trams that are older than the T68s alongside newer trams.

It seems to be regarded by many that the t68's are crap.

The Sage

That makes sense, I guess the stop start associated with street running and the crazy bends found in mcr city centre won't help either. It's a shame they couldn't be cascaded to Tyne & Wear to start a few extra services on the cheap such as Sunderland to South Shields.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Tyne and Wear wouldn't want them trust me!

Phillip Purdy stated that they suffer on average three t68 failures per DAY. Not per week, per day!! They are the suckiest trams in the UK.

Not that I wont be a bit sad to see the back of them.. :)

WatcherZero

Established Member
5-10 thousand operating hours between service affecting failures, as opposed to 20,000 for the M5000's which is considered good for a tram. A class 350 has something like 50,000 miles between service affecting failures so thats what, couple of thousand hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.