• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink Zonal Fares Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyLandy

Established Member
Mod note: Split from the Northern topic in NR General

Certainly not to anywhere which was why I was careful to specify "its" network.

Indeed. It does leave you with a genuine question about availability of the "whole range of tickets" though. I wonder whether there should be some sort of combo Metrolink/PTT type ticket, so if you're at Market Street, you can buy a Metrolink ticket to Piccadilly that you can then excess/upgrade into a full-fledged rail fare at the ticket office. If it's successful as an idea, it could be more widely used by the likes of Northern at stations that only have TVMs and no actual ticket office.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Talking to a couple of Metrolink PSR's after one two hour revenue protection operation, 171 tickets checked, 11 address checks, 7 penalty fares issued, 2 arrested by police for giving a false address.
Ive said this before and ill say it again: their model is so sucessful because their TVMs are so much better! Easy to use, all offer cash and card facilitiies and they are in abundance (relative to passenger numbers) on tje platform. Simply not the case with Northern.

One problem ypu do get on metrolink that a Northern guard would not miss is ticket validity. TT, admittedly the biggest problem, is tackled ruthlessly, but if you produce an dout of date ticket or a child ticket you have no right to you are very unlikely to be pulled up on it. By far the biggest problem though is routeing. I once saw somone with an Old Trafford to Stretford return get checked at Besses o the Barn and they didnt say anything!!! Through rail tickets are even worse, if even the staff dont know ahere Metrolink Zone E is how can the public be expected to?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Northern will reinstate the 0930 from Mauldeth Road in the May 2013 timetable change.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...bosses-to-back-track-over-morning-time-change

Well ain't that good! I'll have to try and use it now!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
just found out where Zone "P" is lol, its hard work keeping up with the Metrolink why on earth we can't just type in the station I will never know, stupid system.

Huh. Talk about it. It would help if there was a record of which stop is in which zone anywhere in the public domain. I have a hunch Northern have issued a diagram for ticket offices as I caught a glimpse of one on the wall at Levenshulme once. Other than that Metrolink have no publications to explain it, or anything on the website. When the Oldham line opened, I had to ask staff what the new zones were and THEY didn't know!

Established Member
Well ain't that good! I'll have to try and use it now!

Huh. Talk about it. It would help if there was a record of which stop is in which zone anywhere in the public domain. I have a hunch Northern have issued a diagram for ticket offices as I caught a glimpse of one on the wall at Levenshulme once. Other than that Metrolink have no publications to explain it, or anything on the website. When the Oldham line opened, I had to ask staff what the new zones were and THEY didn't know!

A Bury ish
B Besses
C Crumpsall
D City
E Traf Bar to Stretford
F Sale
G Timp & Alty

H - Heccles (ok, they'd used the E already)

P - Chorlton (agree... why?)

JKL - is Oldham line
J Shaw
K Oldham
L Newton Heath-Monsall

For origins outside the county, the station name is used eg SALE MTLK or ALTRINCH MTLK. For jouneys wholly inside the county, the Metrolink 'letter' zonal fares are preserved for the benefit of historic ticketing which has not changed.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
From the ever-reliable Wikipedia, is this what you are referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manchester_Metrolink_Map.svg

From its description: 'Schematic map of the Metrolink fare zones. Since its production, the three new Chorlton line stops are Zone P, Abraham Moss, Zone C, Monsall–Moston Zone J, and Failsworth–Oldham Zone K.'

It is indeed... and I'm greateful to whoever updated the description, as the map itself is hopelessly old. It appears to pre-date Cornbrook's street access (and, as such, ticket availability) which, if memory serves, was sometime around 2005? I was unsure, on the first day of operation between Oldham and Shaw, if a new zone had been created (for example, the Metrolink only fares are different for journeys City-Shaw than for City-Oldham). I also heard* that "I" might've been a zone, and didn't know where the boundaries on the Oldham line lay, but if it is between Newton Heath and Failsworth, that's reasonable. Makes K a VERY large zone though, containing Failsworth, Hollinwood, South Chadderton, Freehold, Oldham Mumps, Derker and Shaw. On that basis, it would seem "L" is likely for Derker and Shaw. Have you issued tickets to L, 185?

I digress, thank's for that!

*incorrectly

Established Member
On that basis, it would seem "L" is likely for Derker and Shaw. Have you issued tickets to L, 185?

Derker is the last in the Failsworth-Derker 'K' Zone

Shaw is the first in the next (final) zone, which I assume will include Rochdale.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Derker is the last in the Failsworth-Derker 'K' Zone

Shaw is the first in the next (final) zone, which I assume will include Rochdale.

Ahhh! I see. Thanking you! Hopefully, the whole confusing and opaque lot will be gone with the introduction of this:

C_71_article_1590961_image_list_image_list_item_1_image.jpg

Image from here: http://www.transportforgreatermanch...em_10_metrolink_fares-smart_card_implications

Interesting to see how they liase with Northern ect over the through-tickets.

Established Member
Think this may be more descriptive.

Attachments

• ZapMap.png
    ZapMap.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 133

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Think this may be more descriptive.

That's great! Did you make it yourself!?

Although I'm not quite sure why Cornbrook should be "not in a zone" - I always assumed it was in E.

It would make sense on the one hand though, because H and E have the same fares, but P is higher, justified by the idea that you cross E at Trafford Bar to get to P, at Firswood, but if Cornbrook doesn't count, you go straight from D to H, as you do with E.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe I'm talking broken biscuits again...

barrykas

Established Member
That's great! Did you make it yourself!?

Although I'm not quite sure why Cornbrook should be "not in a zone" - I always assumed it was in E.

The Manual (internal website for retail staff) gives Cornbrook as being in Zone E...

It also has the zones for all of the extensions currently under construction, so here we go:
  • Zone A: Bury, Radcliffe, Whitefield
  • Zone B: Besses o' th' Barn, Prestwich, Heaton Park
  • Zone C: Bowker Vale, Crumpsall, Abraham Moss, Woodlands Road
  • City Zone: Victoria, Shudehill, Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly, Mosley Street, St Peter's Square, Deansgate-Castlefield
  • Zone E: Cornbrook, Trafford Bar, Old Trafford, Stretford
  • Zone F: Dane Road, Sale, Brooklands
  • Zone G: Timperley, Navigation Road, Altrincham
  • Zone H: Pomona, Exchange Quay, Salford Quays, Anchorage, Harbour City, MediaCityUK, Broadway, Langworthy, Weaste, Ladywell, Eccles
  • Zone J: Monsall, Central Park, Newton Heath & Moston
  • Zone K: Failsworth, Hollinwood, South Chadderton, Freehold, Oldham Mumps, Derker
  • Zone L: Shaw & Crompton, New Hey, Milnrow, Kingsway Business Park, Newbold, Rochdale Railway Station, Rochdale Town Centre
  • Zone M: New Islington, Holt Town, Eithad Camp, Velopark, Clayton Hall, Edge Lane
  • Zone N: Cemetery Road, Droylsden, Audenshaw, Ashton Moss, Ashton West, Ashton-under-Lyne
  • Zone P: Firswood, Chorlton, St Werburgh's Road
  • Zone Q: Withington, Burton Road, West Didsbury, Didsbury Village, East Didsbury

Just to confuse matters, however, Metrolink's brochure for the extension as far as Shaw & Crompton refers to Shaw as being in Zone C, Derker - Failsworth as Zone B, and Newton Heath & Moston - Monsall as Zone A!

Cheers,

Barry

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The Manual (internal website for retail staff) gives Cornbrook as being in Zone E...

It also has the zones for all of the extensions currently under construction, so here we go:
  • Zone A: Bury, Radcliffe, Whitefield
  • Zone B: Besses o' th' Barn, Prestwich, Heaton Park
  • Zone C: Bowker Vale, Crumpsall, Abraham Moss, Woodlands Road
  • City Zone: Victoria, Shudehill, Market Street, Piccadilly Gardens, Piccadilly, Mosley Street, St Peter's Square, Deansgate-Castlefield
  • Zone E: Cornbrook, Trafford Bar, Old Trafford, Stretford
  • Zone F: Dane Road, Sale, Brooklands
  • Zone G: Timperley, Navigation Road, Altrincham
  • Zone H: Pomona, Exchange Quay, Salford Quays, Anchorage, Harbour City, MediaCityUK, Broadway, Langworthy, Weaste, Ladywell, Eccles
  • Zone J: Monsall, Central Park, Newton Heath & Moston
  • Zone K: Failsworth, Hollinwood, South Chadderton, Freehold, Oldham Mumps, Derker
  • Zone L: Shaw & Crompton, New Hey, Milnrow, Kingsway Business Park, Newbold, Rochdale Railway Station, Rochdale Town Centre
  • Zone M: New Islington, Holt Town, Eithad Camp, Velopark, Clayton Hall, Edge Lane
  • Zone N: Cemetery Road, Droylsden, Audenshaw, Ashton Moss, Ashton West, Ashton-under-Lyne
  • Zone P: Firswood, Chorlton, St Werburgh's Road
  • Zone Q: Withington, Burton Road, West Didsbury, Didsbury Village, East Didsbury

Just to confuse matters, however, Metrolink's brochure for the extension as far as Shaw & Crompton refers to Shaw as being in Zone C, Derker - Failsworth as Zone B, and Newton Heath & Moston - Monsall as Zone A!

Cheers,

Barry

OH MY GOD

Thank you very much!

I guess, guards, the "P" finally makes sense!

(That is, O and I were omitted as being to similar to 0 and 1)

Paul Sidorczuk, I don't think they've planned for the Airport line, because this ticketing system shouldn't be around when It opens.

Last edited:

Established Member
The rules for Cornbrook (not in a zone) are:

Accept zone P, zone E or zone H tickets - station is a zonal interchange.
But, equally, do not accept zone D (City Zone), the network maps reflect this.

This is reflected by price differences in fares too, as City Zone fares are quite cheap.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....I have a hunch Northern have issued a diagram for ticket offices as I caught a glimpse of one on the wall at Levenshulme once....

Levenshulme staff probably made it, I had to make my own chart and I know other staff have simply printed out a page from the Manual, I've never had one issued by Northern.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Levenshulme staff probably made it, I had to make my own chart and I know other staff have simply printed out a page from the Manual, I've never had one issued by Northern.

Hahahah! Probably! It wasn't branded or anything! Just boxes with a heading for the zone typed up! Oh dear! When I've asked at Piccadilly, I can only assume they are looking it up online... Is "The Manual" in electronic format?
The rules for Cornbrook (not in a zone) are:

Accept zone P, zone E or zone H tickets - station is a zonal interchange.
But, equally, do not accept zone D (City Zone), the network maps reflect this.

This is reflected by price differences in fares too, as City Zone fares are quite cheap.

Hmm. That's interesting. It's odd that it'd be instructing you to accept them. In my experience, Metrolink staff would accept any zone for travel to Cronbrook!

And aren't the city fares ostensibly "free"?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Hahahah! Probably! It wasn't branded or anything! Just boxes with a heading for the zone typed up!....

If it wasn't branded it wasn't issued by Northern.

....And aren't the city fares ostensibly "free"?

If you have a rail ticket for travel wholly within the TfGM (GMPTE) area, for travel to or via the city centre, there is a good chance tram travel in the city centre is free.

radamfi

Established Member
Metrolink travel in the City Zone is free if the rail ticket has route 'Metrolink (GM)' or has a destination of 'Manchester Central Zone'.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Is it so difficult to think that TfGM tickets may just possibly cover tram travel?

It's not what I'd call simple. There are quite a number of products, with varying degrees of range.

radamfi

Established Member
Countycard, Wayfarer, Rail Ranger, Daysaver. Not really that many products.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Metrolink travel in the City Zone is free if the rail ticket has route 'Metrolink (GM)' or has a destination of 'Manchester Central Zone'.

Countycard, Wayfarer, Rail Ranger, Daysaver. Not really that many products.

Well, I thought there were more than that, tbh. But I still don't think that exhausts possibilities?

radamfi

Established Member
I was going to write Traincard too, but I saw that was missing from the System One website so I assumed it had been withdrawn. However, I have since noticed that it is still shown on the National Rail and TfGM sites.

Of course, the real scandal is that there are no season tickets for combined tram/train travel, other than point-to-point ones.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Traincards are still available, but they are not a System One ticket.

Gosh, do you have such encyclopaedic knowledge of every PTEs offerings, HHF?

I wish I did, but no, I just happen to work in the TfGM (GMPTE) area......

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Traincards are still available, but they are not a System One ticket.

I wish I did, but no, I just happen to work in the TfGM (GMPTE) area......

Well, then, le explica.

I seem to recall an oddity with Metrolink validity on Sundays from stations on the mid-cheshire line? And aren't there a few items in the Metrolink TVMs (which are totally unadvertised) as well? Nevermind, there's no need to be churlish about such things.

Thank you to all who replied, and posted insider information. Also to whoever split the thread :) I feel much the wiser in - and I think it was perhaps mutually beneficial too? Somone should tell ANorthernGuard the hypothesis about Zone P. :p

I think we might also have established one of those things which could be put onto a poster and the odd webpage at minimal cost to some considerable benefit to both passengers and staff. Doubtless, any such suggestion would be regarded as "too confusing" after the experience of the Phase 1 ticket machines (and due in no small part to the bloody MEN!).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From the ever-reliable Wikipedia, is this what you are referring to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manchester_Metrolink_Map.svg

From its description: 'Schematic map of the Metrolink fare zones. Since its production, the three new Chorlton line stops are Zone P, Abraham Moss, Zone C, Monsall–Moston Zone J, and Failsworth–Oldham Zone K.'
This is very useful, thanks. Does anyone have access to an updated version of this map please?

Interestingly, Besses o'th' Barn is in the fares and timetable data but it is not stated what zone it is in. I can see from the above map that it's in Zone B. If you use a booking site to plan a journey from outside Greater Manchester to Besses o'th' Barn, you will be issued a ticket specifically to Besses o'the' Barn rather than to the fares destination Zone B. Is that how it's meant to work, does anyone know?

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It isn't available in map form, but it is in iKB:

Code:
NLC

Name

Includes:

G231

METROLINK ZONE A

Bury, Radcliffe, Whitefield.

G232

METROLINK ZONE B

Besses O' Th' Barn, Prestwich, Heaton Park.

G233

METROLINK ZONE C

Bowker Vale, Crumpsall, Abraham Moss, Woodlands Road.

G234

METROLINK CITY
(Only used from Knutsford, Ashley, Mobberley and Hale for journeys via Sale)

All City Centre stations.

G235

METROLINK ZONE E

Trafford Bar, Old Trafford, Stretford, Cornbrook

G236

METROLINK ZONE F

Dane Road, Sale, Brooklands.

G237

METROLINK ZONE G

Timperley, Navigation Road, Altrincham.

G238

METROLINK ZONE H

Pomona, Exchange Quay, Salford Quays, Anchorage, Harbour City, Media City, Broadway, Langworthy, Weaste, Ladywell, Eccles.

G076

METROLINK ZONE J

Newton Heath & Moston, Central Park, Monsall

K732

METROLINK ZONE K

Oldham Mumps, Freehold, South Chadderton, Hollinwood, Failsworth

K733

METROLINK ZONE L

Shaw & Crompton, New Hey, Milnrow, Kingsway Business Park, Newbold, Rochdale Railway Station, Rochdale Town Centre

K734

METROLINK ZONE M

New Islington, Holt Town, Etihad Camp, Velopark, Clayton Hall, Edge Lane,

K735

METROLINK ZONE N

Cemetery Road, Droylsden, Audenshaw, Ashton Moss, Ashton West, Ashton-under- Lyne

G199

METROLINK ZONE P

Firswood, Chorlton, St Werburgh’s Road

K736

METROLINK ZONE Q

Withington, Burton Road, West Didsbury, Didsbury Village, East Didsbury

I don't have access to the current version of this though. It is not in the public domain at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.