• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metropolitan Line Extension (MLX/Croxley Rail Link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
Does anyone have any news on progress with the Croxley Rail Link - the extension of the Metropolitan Line to Watford Junction?

The following website is interesting, but the so-called "latest news" was back in January; surely there's been some progress between then and August?

www.croxleyraillink.com

Has any physical construction work started yet? As it is the County Council in the lead on this scheme (rather than TfL), we can only hope they don't make the same mistakes as their council colleagues in Edinburgh did on the tram line.

In short, are council planners any good at project management? Discuss......

(Sorry, mods this should have gone in the London Underground section, can you move it?)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterY

Established Member
I often cycle past, what will be the Croxley link. Early this year lots of clearance was done of all the weeds/trees. Nothing has been done since about March, now they've all re grown .:roll:

Daniel

Established Member
I know the upgrades team have been into the signal boxes looking to nick some TD codes to change them to show 'WFJ', so something is happening.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Are the platforms at Watford West and Watford Stadium still standing for now?

Chris125

Established Member
I assume they are holding back on an update until construction starts, they recently pushed back the opening to 2017 so presumably they are still carrying out the necessary preparatory work but work on the ground should be starting imminently. I don't know what impact cancelling the SSR resignalling has had but it can't have helped given the timing.

Chris

Last edited:

Great Central

Are the platforms at Watford West and Watford Stadium still standing for now?

Watford Stadium is at present. Lots of vegetation clearance and evidence of widening for 2 tracks at the site of the new Watford Vicarage road station on the other side of the bridge.

21C101

Established Member
Watford Stadium is at present. Lots of vegetation clearance and evidence of widening for 2 tracks at the site of the new Watford Vicarage road station on the other side of the bridge.

Was the line originally built with bridges etc. wide enough for two tracks?

It only ever carried a single track but it was not uncommon for the engineering structures to be built to allow doubling (as can be seen on the Bluebell between Horsted Keynes and Sheffield Park).

Great Central

The information in those pages is very good apart from the fact that the name of Watford Hospital station has since been changed to (Watford) Vicarage Road

PeterY

Established Member
On Saturday 16th August I had clamber up the embankment of the old Croxley Green station. This will not be part of the new link and took the following photo's. Note the old NSE red lamp. The gate to the bridge across the canal had been left open, so I walked across it.

Attachments

• Croxley Green station Aug 2014 (1).jpg
    Croxley Green station Aug 2014 (1).jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Croxley Green station Aug 2014 (4).jpg
    Croxley Green station Aug 2014 (4).jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Croxley Green station Aug 2014 (8).jpg
    Croxley Green station Aug 2014 (8).jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 193

PeterY

Established Member
Croxley Green 29-8-13 (1).jpg

Croxley Green 29-8-13 (2).jpg
I'm afraid the NSE signs disappeared around March. I took these two photo's August last year.

I cycle around the Croxley area quite a lot and look out for any changes but nothing for the last 6 months.

davetheguard

Established Member
The Croxley Rail Link site is now reporting that a start on construction has now been put back until Spring 2015.

Looks like TfL will be taking a much more active role, rather than leaving it to the County Council who presumably have very little experience of this sort of thing.

Let's hope the substantial cost rise due to the enhanced scope of the work will be affordable; this is a really good project and makes so much sense.......

Chris125

Established Member
Croxley Rail Link: London Underground could take over construction of £230m project

London Underground could take over construction of the Croxley Rail Link and the projected cost will rise to £230 million.

Hertfordshire County Council and the rail provider are discussion about who will be responsible for specific aspects of the project, but it has emerged London Underground could take over the construction of the project later this year.

The county council attributed the higher price of the project to 'wider railway benefits' and the cost of inflation. The scheme had been expected to cost in the region of £120 million.

Chris

Busaholic

Veteran Member
'The cost of inflation' is nebulous - is it the same as 'inflation of costs'? One hopes the Hertfordshire ratepayers, rather than the London ones, will be paying for this.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Especially considering possible Aylesbury to WCML stations direct services!

Aylesbury will gain very little from the Croxley Link - there will be access to two stations nearer to the centre of Watford but this will still involve changing at Moor Park. We've discussed this before and Aylesbury-Watford simply isn't a big enough market to provide a through service.

The real benefit for Aylesbury is services to Milton Keynes as part of East West Rail.

pro4600

I understand this project is in danger of being ditched. Can anyone confirm?

NSEFAN

Established Member
Why would it be ditched now? Tons of work has gone into planning it and the route has recently been cleared up.

AM9

Veteran Member

To me it looks like the estimated cost has risen. Like so many other projects that end up costing more than claimed at first: 'one man's cost overrun is another's underestimate'.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
'The cost of inflation' is nebulous - is it the same as 'inflation of costs'? One hopes the Hertfordshire ratepayers, rather than the London ones, will be paying for this.

I doubt it as the benefits will be passed to TfL with lower operating costs and the sales of land between Croxley Green junction and Watfor Met. station.

Nym

Established Member
I doubt it as the benefits will be passed to TfL with lower operating costs and the sales of land between Croxley Green junction and Watfor Met. station.

Watford Met station is being retained for stabling, the only sales of land could be the Car Park...

Chris125

Established Member
Croxley Rail Link 'signed off' by the Government

The Croxley Rail Link project has been signed off by the Government.

Watford MP Richard Harrington said he was at a Treasury meeting with the Chancellor of the Exchequer this morning in which the £200m scheme was formally given the green light.

The Metropolitan Line will now be extended from Croxley to Watford Junction, via Watford High Street and two new stations.

Mr Harrington told the Observer: “Transport for London is taking over the management of the project, which is what I negotiated.

“For me, it’s a brilliant scheme for the future of Watford and I am now lobbying for the Watford Metropolitan station to remain open for those people that still wish to use it – but that is down the line.”

Chris

Nym

Established Member
Considering that price includes...

A new sub station, with associated HV cabling and switchgear to Croxley Hall
Two stations, one event capable, both fully step free.
8 new turnouts (One crossover, two divergences (two track))
2 moved sets of points.
Full signalling, TWICE!
Platform extensions at Watford Junction
Minimum 8 platforms fitted with SUP OPO CCTV System
Minimum 8 platforms to be fitted with interim CSDE and SDO
20+ Trainstops
New Westrace unit for Bushey - Watford Jcn section.

Sounds like a bargin to me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.