• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metropolitan Line operations help

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Making a scenario pack for the excellent TS2020 Metropolitan Line sim based on the rush hour using the 2015 Working Timetables, I could do with any help regarding operations of the Metropolitan Line, from either crew or anyone who's made observations.

Is timekeeping in the rush hour's pretty much out the window? Spacing looks tight on the Cricle/Hammersmith shared section, looks like all it takes is for a train to be at a station a minute longer if that and it'll bunch up.
Talking of busy can Harrow-on-the-Hill get clogged up and end up with platform alterations (P6 instead of P5 or something, depending if it's a fast) or do platforms tend to stick? If a fast is even just 2 minutes late from Harrow, would a slow ahead that's at Wembley be sent off ahead, that would have been held at Wembley for a minute while the express went by if on time? I seem to recall stopping on the fast at Wembley once though not booked to stop and doors didn't open, but it was a slow run from there to Finchley, I think it was there might have been Neasden otherwise.

Also I'm aware Jubliee and Met stock both use Neasden, do they end up on any of the roads for stabling or is certain roads for S stock, and the others are Jubilee? I noticed also at the Wembley end there is about 3 different exit roads from the shed and the stabling sidings, that link onto one exit road. Apart from the one that only comes from the sheds, are the 2 roads from the stabling sidings both used, or is one an exit and one an entry route?

Any help would be most appreciated!

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Hello all,

Making a scenario pack for the excellent TS2020 Metropolitan Line sim based on the rush hour using the 2015 Working Timetables, I could do with any help regarding operations of the Metropolitan Line, from either crew or anyone who's made observations.

It's impossible to provide a definitive answer as the truth is that no two days are the same. Some days everything will run like clockwork, the next day the complete opposite. However, I'll try and give an "average" answer to each question (I'm an Instructor Signaller at Harrow, and formerly Edgware Road).

Is timekeeping in the rush hour's pretty much out the window? Spacing looks tight on the Cricle/Hammersmith shared section, looks like all it takes is for a train to be at a station a minute longer if that and it'll bunch up.

Timekeeping isn't a particularly huge priority going into the City, because there's not much you can do to solve it on the 'inbound' journey, but trains will run as close to their booked times as possible. From Baker Street eastbound (and indeed the Aldgate Triangle) operations are generally in 'First Come, First Served' meaning that the first train to arrive will be pushed through the area as efficiently as possible. Other modes of operation include 'Normal Working' (trains are held to time and routed per timetable, but with some intelligence to scan for trains that are expected and route out of turn trains logically), 'No Out Of Turns' (all trains run in booked order regardless of whether one presents on time or not - this can be very important and the extremes of traffic) or 'Manual' (where the Signaller at Baker Street SCC has to manually 'push' each train through), but these aren't particularly practical for the peak. Note that this refers to operations pre-August 2019 when the new ATO signalling came into use between Paddington, Finchley Road and Euston Square, both to tie in with how the Met line route is portrayed and your request for 2015 (although it was generally the same right up until CBTC came into use).

Trains are pretty much always running 'stick to stick' through the City in the peak, and it's not uncommon to be blocking back as far as Edgware Road. 'Stick to stick' means that drivers will generally be approaching every signal at danger (remember LUL use two-aspect signalling) with slow progress, rather than clear runs. Met line trains 'step-back' at Aldgate during the peak so it's also not uncommon for services to be in and out within 60 seconds. For this reason it's also unlikely for Met services to Aldgate to be short-tripped in anything except extreme disruption; they'll be sorted out either on the north or next time at Harrow southbound. Circle line services will generally be extended/short tripped to Moorgate if they're more than around 5 minutes late, or end up 'out of turn' with a H&C (anything that goes round late will come back later).

Talking of busy can Harrow-on-the-Hill get clogged up and end up with platform alterations (P6 instead of P5 or something, depending if it's a fast) or do platforms tend to stick?

The most important part about Harrow is to keep it flowing. You don't want a train there for any longer than absolutely necessary, and you want to get trains into platforms as quickly as possible. Everyone will work the signal cabin slightly differently, but broadly speaking everything uses its booked platform until you can't. There's the benefit of having crossovers either side of the platforms allowing you to do pretty much anything - e.g. a train ex Uxbridge to cross over into 6 then depart and cross back to the local. Trains that are significantly late will generally be pushed additionally down the fast lines, stopping next at Finchley Road, in an effort to get them back 'in turn' at Wembley.

An additional factor is that Harrow is also a crew relief point, so there can be delays awaiting for Train Operators after disruption.

If a fast is even just 2 minutes late from Harrow, would a slow ahead that's at Wembley be sent off ahead, that would have been held at Wembley for a minute while the express went by if on time? I seem to recall stopping on the fast at Wembley once though not booked to stop and doors didn't open, but it was a slow run from there to Finchley, I think it was there might have been Neasden otherwise.

Wembley is also run in 'first come first served' mode. The signalling is particularly complex in this area due to the track layout, which can involve Fast trains being held to allow all stations services to fully berth, depending on the order things 'dropped on' from Harrow. A lot of the regulating work here is done at Harrow to try and ensure things flight through at Wembley, but the Signallers at Baker Street have overall control of that area. The reality, however, is that on the 'normal' morning peak timetable a fast running 2L won't conflict at Wembley if everything else is on time. And if everything else is late too, there won't be as many trains using the local. It must be remembered that LUL is pretty much exclusively headway driven - meaning the gaps between trains - rather than timetables. 2L isn't notable. By the time (most) southbound Fasts arrive at Harrow they have a Chiltern running right behind them, so they'll always be prioritised over the North Junction and into the platform, putting a 2L delay on anything ex-Watford (if our Fast is 2L). If it's going to delay the Chiltern, it probably won't have been put out in front, and/or won't have been routed down the Main (Fast running via the Local lines does happen, although not frequently).

All of this can also be affected by service disruptions, weather-related restrictions and more. It's also worth noting that there are no southbound fast trains booked to stop at Wembley, in a big part due to the signalling restrictions, and anything run additionally fast on the south also won't stop at Wembley.

Also I'm aware Jubliee and Met stock both use Neasden, do they end up on any of the roads for stabling or is certain roads for S stock, and the others are Jubilee? I noticed also at the Wembley end there is about 3 different exit roads from the shed and the stabling sidings, that link onto one exit road. Apart from the one that only comes from the sheds, are the 2 roads from the stabling sidings both used, or is one an exit and one an entry route?

I'll leave someone better versed with Depot operations to answer this.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed reply, that is amazing info thank you very much, and what a fantastic job you have as well, I'd swap coach driving for working in a cabin :lol:

Lots of info I was unaware of. That's the reason I set 2015, as it was one timetable I could find online, and as the sim doesn't feature ATO, it would have to be a non-ATO period.

Just done some route learning on a video done for the route for the signals, which simulates approach control and draw ups, I assume having to slow down for these signals to trigger it's release also helps to stop services bunching up behind each other?

philthetube

Established Member
Well answered blue goblin,

One or two interesting points, both north and south all stations trains may be run fast Harrow to Finchley Rd to get them back on time, this is very common on the South where a train even 3 late may be run fast to put it back in the correct order it it is behind the train it should be in front of.

Extra effort is made to keep Chesham trains on time because of the single track branch at the North end.

Moorgate is not often used fro reversing in the peak because reversing trains have to block the West bound service while crossing into the sidings, and to a lesser extent delay the east because of low speeds across the points, often if you see Moorgate being used for a Met service it is because the driver is getting close to maximum permitted hours.

At Neasden it is normal for the Jubilee trains to be stabled on the roads furthest away from the main line but theoretically any train can stable on any road.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Just done some route learning on a video done for the route for the signals, which simulates approach control and draw ups, I assume having to slow down for these signals to trigger it's release also helps to stop services bunching up behind each other?

Not really - whilst there can be numerous different purposes for providing draw-up, speed- or approach-controlled signals and trainstops, they're generally in place to enforce/protect signalling overlaps to maintain the integrity of the safe running of the railway.

To provide a couple of examples (both pre-ATO, although the general concept remains and is now enforced by the CBTC system):

-Baker Street southbound platform 3. Around halfway down was draw-up signal MB140 (draw-ups generally [I hate to say always because there could well be something I've forgotten!]) take the number of the associated signal lever with an additional zero), a three-aspect signal. The PSR at this point was 20mph, and entirely doable if running on on greens. However, generally, station starter MB14 would be at danger (more than likely due to a CnH crossing Baker Street Junction ex platform 5), and if a train were to SPAD MB14 at 20mph would be at risk of fouling the junction - not ideal. MB140 was therefore provided to protect the overlap on MB14 - if a train was going too quickly (measured by position detectors and timing relays) MB140 would fail to clear, resulting in a train becoming front tripped prior to passing MB14. Most draw-ups had a 'second shot' where they would clear after a specified time if the train failed the initial speed check. Draw-ups would clear to yellow if the starting signal was 'on' (at red), or green if the starting signal was also green.

-Edgware Road had draw up signals prior to the various modification works for S7 stock, after which a different system was provided - Variable Speed Signage. It worked much the same way but did not have signals - just 'blind' train stops. Avoiding the full technical workings which would be outwith the scope of this thread (and I appreciate an Edgware Road example is probably on the cusp too!), essentially these worked the same way - a speed would be displayed to a driver on approach to the platform and, if they weren't doing this speed (again measured by PDs and timing relays) then the associated trainstops would not lower and a train would be tripped before the fouling points. The particularly 'clever' part of the Edgware Road system was that, as the name suggests, speed limits could be varied based on what other parallel moves were taking place, increasing or decreasing overlaps as necessary to allow the best possible throughput of services.

One or two interesting points, both north and south all stations trains may be run fast Harrow to Finchley Rd to get them back on time, this is very common on the South where a train even 3 late may be run fast to put it back in the correct order it it is behind the train it should be in front of.

This shouldn't be happening unless the trains out of turn are both Aldgates (referring to previous comments around stepping back) - if it's an Aldgate and a Baker Street for example best practice would be to try and connect them (even if it means slightly delaying the second train) rather than arbitrarily running one fast. Even then, 3 minutes is very much on the 'not late enough side' - the benefits of running fast can be lost through the additional dwell time from passengers alighting. A lot of it comes down to what else is happening on the railway, which is why I tried to avoid giving specific parameters in the initial thread. However, Signal Operators at Harrow are allowed to divert trains fast as they see fit at their own discretion in the best interests of the service.

Extra effort is made to keep Chesham trains on time because of the single track branch at the North end.

Always love the trade off of a late Fast Chesham and an on-time Chiltern service presenting at Harrow at the same time. Probably the hardest judgement call to make at the Cabin!

Status
Not open for further replies.