• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metropolitan line stopping pattern to Aylesbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Was the Met Line stopping pattern to Aylesbury the same as the Amersham fasts or was it faster?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
From July 1958 ABC: yes, except that peak hour trains omitted Harrow.

MichaelAMW

Did you have a year (or some years) in mind? And are you interested in Met trains all the way to Aylesbury?

PeterC

Established Member
My 1950 ABC timetable shows a standard service stopping to Moor Park then Harrow. Intermediate stops to Finchley Road aren't shown. Sunday trains were mostly stoppers. There were a handful of locals from Marylebone at busy times but no regular local service.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Did you have a year (or some years) in mind? And are you interested in Met trains all the way to Aylesbury?

I don’t mind, and I’m interested in Met trains to Aylesbury and to Verney Junction, I once read that the Verney trains were all stops to Aylesbury then Amersham before running fast to Finchley Road.

From July 1958 ABC: yes, except that peak hour trains omitted Harrow.

Thank you :)

My 1950 ABC timetable shows a standard service stopping to Moor Park then Harrow. Intermediate stops to Finchley Road aren't shown. Sunday trains were mostly stoppers. There were a handful of locals from Marylebone at busy times but no regular local service.

So Marylebone trains weren’t a regular feature then?

I wonder what would have happened had the Met continued to Aylesbury? Maybe no Chilterns at all

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I wonder what would have happened had the Met continued to Aylesbury? Maybe no Chilterns at all

The LPTB rapidly got rid of the services at the extremities - via Verney Junction and even the bucolic Brill branch , and hunkered down to serve as a joint operation the service to Aylesbury (very well documented in various books) , come the delayed electrification to Amersham , and the failure of further extensions of Metroland north of say Chorleywood , the retreat back to Amersham was sensible. (for the time) , as the traffic on the north part of the Met was reasonable enough , but nothing like the great successes of the area further south. Dieselisation of what is now Chiltern was adequate for the 1960's - but the flows even in this scenario dropped off over time as the age of the trains increased.

Crossrail 1 would have sorted this , but as I have said before , provided really too many cars per hour (off peak especially) for Aylesbury. Thames and Chiltern in NSE days gave the modernisation needed. Further developed of course.

PeterC

Established Member
So Marylebone trains weren’t a regular feature then?

Fasts from Aylesbury of course but very few making intermediate stops. On Sundays in 1950 there were some BR restaurant cars to Harrow on the Hill on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.