• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mg11 was issued what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
This is the letter i intend to write

I am writing regarding the above matter and wish to comment as requested.

When I boarded the service in question I hadn’t “tapped in” because I was worried I’d miss the train. When I arrived at Plumstead, I was approached by the BTP officer and I panicked. I realise that I should have explained what had happened from the beginning.

I agree that I shouldn’t have boarded the train without having tapped in. When I arrived at Plumstead I should have gone to the exit and explained myself to the officers. I am very sorry for my actions and will not let this happen again.

I would like to settle this matter without the need for court action. Can I therefore pay the outstanding fare plus any administrative charges Southeastern would wish to levy to conclude the matter?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Please advice is need to amend letter. Thanks

@skyhigh @MikeWh
@Fawkes Cat help is need regarding the letter please. Thanks
I'd probably take out the first paragraph- they don't want to hear your excuses and you make it sound like you deliberately decided not to tap in. In the second paragraph maybe say something about you now realise how much unpaid fares cost the industry and the potential seriousness of a prosecution to show you've learnt your lesson.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I boarded the service in question I hadn’t “tapped in” because I was worried I’d miss the train. When I arrived at Plumstead, I was approached by the BTP officer and I panicked. I realise that I should have explained what had happened from the beginning.
From the letter, you were not stopped by a police officer but by railway staff so you should change this paragraph to remove reference to “BTP officer,” and instead put something like “Revenue Protection Inspector.”

gray1404

Established Member
I would suggest sending something like this:

Dear Sir/Madam

CASE REF: [INSERT YOUR CASE REFERENCE HERE]

I am writing in reply to your recent letter. I would like to apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I failed to tap my Contactless Card at the start of my journey before travel and this was discovered by the Ticket Inspector at my destination. I now know this was the wrong action to take and I apologise for this. I can assure you this was an isolated incident and I shall ensue I validate my card by touching in at the start of each journey in future.

I would like to pay the fare due for my journey plus the costs you have incurred in dealing with this matter. I am sure you will understand my desire to avoid legal action and the consequences of such. I would therefore ask that you please offer an Out of Court Settlement to close the matter?

Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE]

I would also suggest you get this reply into the post as soon as possible. Royal Mail collect mail on a Saturday (which is tomorrow) and due to the bank holiday I think it is really important you get this into the Saturday post. Also, use First Class as a minimum so it arrives soon.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Or Signed For? (To prove that it arrived on time.)
Double edged sword-it might show it didn't arrive on time! Signed for offers no guaranteed delivery time, it's just first class with a signature. Special Delivery guarantees next day (not Sundays or Bank Holidays) but is considerably more expensive.

Titfield

Established Member
The price of Special Delivery varies by weight with a premium for Saturday delivery.

Monday to Friday delivery by 1pm up to 100g is £6.85

A small price to pay for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.