• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG'11d by my 'favourite' FCC RPI - combined Z123 & Z456 ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf_359

I am a Guard for another company, but even I know that the ticket combination mentioned is valid. I know of at least 3 passengers who have combinations similar to the OP's. They travel everyday without problems.

RPI's are supposed to be better with tickets as that is mainly what they deal with. I find it incredible that a so called RPI doesn't know that it is a valid combination, and that his customer service is so appalling.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've noticed in my inbox (changing job meant it went to an older address) that FCC has replied - back on September 9th. I won't say who it was from, other than it being someone involved in revenue protection.

In regards to your complaint dated 4th July addressed to Keith Jipps, I have attempted to call you on your mobile on several occasions but unfortunately the number rings out and then cuts off without allowing me to leave a message.

I am very sorry about the experience you had on Monday 27th June and I apologise most sincerely for this, as you know your tickets were valid and this matter has been fully investigated with the member of staff concerned. It is not our policy to discuss details of the action taken but I can assure you that we have taken the necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen again.

I have replied with my correct mobile number (pretty sure it was right before, so maybe it had been written down and passed on?) and hope to be able to have a chat next week to see what else they have to say, such as how to get a refund for the weekly season I was advised to buy on the day to prevent further action.

I didn't expect them to say anything about what happened to the RPI concerned, or the rude woman at Finsbury Park, but I hope that any hassle from him will now stop and not get worse. Not that I've seen him since that day.

As it turned out, I wasn't docked half a day of pay as my boss clearly felt sorry for me by the end of the month, so if they sort out the refund then I suppose I can finally put this incident to rest. Come January, they've lost me as an annual season ticket holder anyway (on account of the new job).

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Hmm... they harass people with valid tickets, they let half of Hertfordshire travel for free at night - it kind of reminds me of that episode of Father Ted about the Eurovision Song Contest.

jon0844

Veteran Member
As a final update, I have been told by FCC that they are giving me £50 in rail vouchers as a goodwill gesture and have spoken to the RPIs line manager to ensure it doesn't happen again.

There's no mention of the £20.80 refund, so I presume the £50 is supposed to cover this, as well as the half day of pay that I might have been docked (but, fortunately, wasn't). It's not much, but I did always say that I wasn't after compensation - just an apology and an assurance that this RPI will never bother me again.

That is something I won't know for some time to come!

RJ

Established Member
Glad you were compensated - hopefully the ar*ehole won't bother you again.

Established Member
As a final update, I have been told by FCC that they are giving me £50 in rail vouchers as a goodwill gesture and have spoken to the RPIs line manager to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Pathetic. Detained unfairly / illegally for 3 hours - Staff at other operators have been sacked for less.

Incompent management at FCC seems to be the main problem with the high percentage of 'ferral' RPIs there.

GarethW

In the circumstances I'd be tempted to issue against both FCC and the individual concerned as joint defendants in the Small Claims track of the County Court now. Loss of earnings, harrasment and distress etc. Out of pocket expenses and get both the RPI and a rep of FCC in front of a District Judge.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
First Group does not really care about moral victories. They only see pound signs in front of their eyes, hence making this outcome a win-win situation, strangely.

They have got away with it extremely lightly in my opinion.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It would be something if FCC were making efforts to improve the way their RPI's carry out their duties, but from the other current thread it doesn't seem to be the case.

While we continue to get reports of mistakes, arrogance and heavy handedness on the part of their RPI's, it;s difficult to defend them againsta ccusations that they are happy with this type of behaviour overall, presumably as a robust approach helps to ensure that revenue is up!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I found out yesterday that the RPI is still working for FCC, so I wonder how long it will be until our paths cross again!

GarethW

I'm pretty sure one of the papers would still like to run the story (most likely the Mail), spin it that you're scared of meeting the scumbag again/personal vendetta against you etc.

We've seen lesser stories get up to page 5/7 on a slow news day.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am not scared to see him again and I don't fancy the publicity for something that is over. They apologised and I got some compensation that I didn't ask for.

It was quite small and maybe they didn't punish the RPI much, but I was vindicated and that is all the matters. He would have to be a fool to even look at me again!!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I hope that the RPI has been retrained and has learnt that he needs to be very, very sure he is right,. or triple check with senior staff before attempting to PF you again.

We can't know what has happened to him. He may be on a final written warning. He may have just had an informal warning.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Given what I've heard about him (from FCC staff and other passengers) as well as how I've seen him talk to people, I wonder if FCC gave him a promotion and payrise!

If it costs £50 every now and then, while he rakes in easy money from PFs he's probably not entitled to give, I wonder if they look upon him in a totally different light?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I wouldn't discount the possibility! TOC's may take the view that RPI's are meant to be robust, and that the occasional mistake is inevitable given the nature of the role.

However, as in the Southampton gateline thread we don't know what the individual's work record is like. If any individual becomes a bit of a liability due to ongoing and frequent errors, I would expect the employer to take action, whether it be retraining, a warning/dismissal or a move to alternatvie duties.

jon0844

Veteran Member
As I think I said in this thread, there were a lot of people within FCC (in revenue) that didn't/don't think much of the RPI concerned - and were rather upset when he got promoted to the fraud team.

He'd clearly had complaints before as he'd said that to me on the morning, knowing he'd probably get pulled up on it (damn right he would as I wasn't going to let it go) as if it was just part of the job. But, I just can't be sure how seriously FCC take it - or whether they do things as a formality and say 'And don't do it again' while smirking and winking.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I would hope, bit it is only a hope, that FCC would have regard for their public image, as well as the time and trouble it takes to deal with complaints. There must come a point when even FCC, despite their apparent scorn for what their customers say, might start to think that a particular employee needs action.

Of course, as I said earlier, they will expect a certain amount of complaints. Ther emay even be a view within the company that the more complaints there are, the better that person is at doing their job. But at the same time I would expect attention to be paid to the nature of the complaints, and if the majority are not groundless it is an indication that something may not be quite right.

That said, it is dificult to dismiss someone these days without jumping througha lot of hoops. Unless they do something that could be classified as gross misconduct. On that basis, it may well be that FCC are merely wating until they have sufficient evidence to justify dismissal. It may be less likely, but it is possible!

scotsman

Established Member
That said, it is dificult to dismiss someone these days without jumping througha lot of hoops. Unless they do something that could be classified as gross misconduct. On that basis, it may well be that FCC are merely wating until they have sufficient evidence to justify dismissal. It may be less likely, but it is possible!

"Bringing the company into disrepute" seems to be First Group's favourite reason, and they don't seem to need to jump through many hoops if the right person says it...

Status
Not open for further replies.