• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Michael Gove wants to take us back in time with rubbish disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What's going to happen to the less well off pensioners who would have difficulty taking items to recycling banks?

When I was a lad my fizzy pop came in glass bottles, not plastic, and the likes of Barr gave you a refund if you took the glass bottle back. I used to be dead pleased when I found empty bottles of Irn Bru, I was quids in. Bet the newsagent hated me though.

In Germany, the deposit machines are in the entrance halls of supermarkets. You take your empties back and restock them with new. If the elderly can get the bottles in, they get the bottles out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
In Germany, the deposit machines are in the entrance halls of supermarkets. You take your empties back and restock them with new. If the elderly can get the bottles in, they get the bottles out.

As I've already said where ever you put the machines it's going to inconvenience people, particularly the elderly and disabled. I've given multiple examples of how that can be the case and can come up with many more but they seem to fall on the deaf ears of people who see the scheme with rose tinted spectacles.

Apparently this new scheme will only affect single use bottles so if Lucozade switch back to glass bottles it'll be entirely up to Lucozade whether or not they ask for a deposit or not but if they stick with plastic they'll be forced to ask for a deposit and it'll mean if you put the empty in a normal recycling bin you'll lose a deposit.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
As you correctly point out, local democracy is a sham anyway. To Bletchleyite. Say, like most areas, you have a two-party choice at election time. One party proposes a 20% hike in tax, and the other proposes 'only' a 15% hike, do you have a real choice? Until there is a 'none of the above, new candidates please' box to tick, democracy will remain a carve up between the usual suspects taking turns. Look at the widespread uproar when fortnightly collections were introduced, was the will of the people listened to?

Technically there is a "none of the above" on the ballot sheet. So if your ballot sheet has the following (most do)...

Conservative
UKIP
Greens
Independant
Labour
Lib Dems

... and if your in a Labour or Tory stronghold, you vote for someone else for example UKIP or an Independant - this is your "none of the above" and if everyone did that then things would actually change as your stating that your not happy with the current lot that's running the show. I know of someone who is staunchly Labour but as they can't stand Corbyn, for the past few elections they've gone and voted UKIP instead.

Back to recycling though, how many councils still have a weekly bin collection? As I don't think that its many.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Milton Keynes still have a weekly collection of all waste (regular black bin bags, recycling bags, glass box, garden waste and food waste bin).

They also have a very enlightened policy of sorting the black bags in case there is recycling in them (bet those doing that job need strong stomachs) rather than leaving for rats to eat, and of "basically if it looks recyclable put it in the pink sack".

It results in a very high level of recycling, and others really should copy it.

pemma

Veteran Member
Back to recycling though, how many councils still have a weekly bin collection? As I don't think that its many.

My council has a fortnightly recycling collection and a fortnightly general waste collection, plus a season fortnightly garden waste collection. The size of the recycling bin is the same as the size of the general waste bin and I get the impression most households have less empty space in their recycling bin than their general waste bin.

pemma

Veteran Member
Milton Keynes still have a weekly collection of all waste (regular black bin bags, recycling bags, glass box, garden waste and food waste bin).

They also have a very enlightened policy of sorting the black bags in case there is recycling in them (bet those doing that job need strong stomachs) rather than leaving for rats to eat, and of "basically if it looks recyclable put it in the pink sack".

My council doesn't do that but they do manually check the items which have been put in to recycling bins to remove any non-recyclable rubbish. So if you're not sure on an item it shouldn't be an issue if it goes in to your recycling bin as if it's recyclable it'll be recycled and if not then it shouldn't interfere with the recycling process.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is no need for a weekly bin collection in my opinion. Where the Council has a weekly or fortnightly food waste collection the main bin could be emptied monthly with no issues in my opinion.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is no need for a weekly bin collection in my opinion. Where the Council has a weekly or fortnightly food waste collection the main bin could be emptied monthly with no issues in my opinion.

I would agree in principle with a few exceptions such as those with young children having what you might term perishables that are not food waste (or rather, not food waste until after consumption and processing by a human :) ).

The main problem, though, is that if you miss one e.g. you are away on holiday that's a month until the next one.

I actually tend towards the idea of having underground "Moloks" (underground bins) on the estate that can be emptied when they get full but you can put your stuff in when you like. Fly tipping of bigger stuff might be an issue, but a CCTV camera pointed at the bins should keep that manageable.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Perhaps new build areas should be provided with these systems for food waste and similar?

In addition I would support subsidies for glass bottles and those new aluminium bottle-cans.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I last put our landfill bin out for collection a year ago. It's still only 75% full...

alex17595

The money for cans has inspired me to go and do some liteer picking.
I went out with my cousin for 30 mins earlier today and picked up 92 cans/bottles. I also somehow found my stepbrothers bank card in a bush for some reason. It is disgusting how much waste is about.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I would agree in principle with a few exceptions such as those with young children having what you might term perishables that are not food waste (or rather, not food waste until after consumption and processing by a human :) ).

Our council (and several others in North Wales) offer us a (small) diaper bin, which is collected weekly. With most of our bulky non-recyclables going in there, our main bin is rarely more than half full when collected (two weekly, soon to be three weekly).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I actually tend towards the idea of having underground "Moloks" (underground bins) on the estate that can be emptied when they get full but you can put your stuff in when you like. Fly tipping of bigger stuff might be an issue, but a CCTV camera pointed at the bins should keep that manageable.
Where I used to live (in the City of Westminster) there are bins at the top of most roads where you take your rubbish and recycling to. The problem with such an approach is that there are no consequences for producing excess rubbish. Whilst I, and I am sure many others, sort our waste correctly, there are I am sure a majority who could not give a stuff and need the amount of rubbish they can throw away to be restricted.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Where I used to live (in the City of Westminster) there are bins at the top of most roads where you take your rubbish and recycling to. The problem with such an approach is that there are no consequences for producing excess rubbish. Whilst I, and I am sure many others, sort our waste correctly, there are I am sure a majority who could not give a stuff and need the amount of rubbish they can throw away to be restricted.

MK Council does not restrict the amount of rubbish they will collect (you can put out as many black or pink sacks as you wish, and the latter are available in unlimited free supply if you want more), and by and large this does not cause any problems.

Is it an attitude thing? Is it because MK has had recycling facilities since the 1970s so the culture is there? Is it because if you don't treat people like criminals for putting their bins out, they might just, you know, engage a bit more with it?

bussnapperwm

Established Member

Wolverhampton tried a "slops box" collection and that fell on its face.

Weekly collections should be a legal requirement in my opinion, with savings found elsewhere in local government (such as bus services which get less than 5 passengers a journey or privatizing leisure facilities.)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wolverhampton tried a "slops box" collection and that fell on its face.
What could possibly go wrong? Plenty of councils offer a food waste collection with no issues. Organic matter is one of the most important things to recycle as when put into landfill results in methane and other gas emissions.

Weekly collections should be a legal requirement in my opinion,
Why is there a need for weekly non recycling waste collections?

PeterC

Established Member
What could possibly go wrong? Plenty of councils offer a food waste collection with no issues. Organic matter is one of the most important things to recycle as when put into landfill results in methane and other gas emissions.

Why is there a need for weekly non recycling waste collections?
There are two sorts of people who have a problem with non food waste being collected less than weekly:
1. The deliberately bloody minded who insist that scraping a plate into a slop bin is "too complicated"
2. Households with babies who use disposable nappies.
For the rest of us there is no problem.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
As I've already said where ever you put the machines it's going to inconvenience people, particularly the elderly and disabled.

The elderly and disabled are perfectly capable of getting the full bottles from the shop to their house. Why would taking the empties back be any more difficult for them?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Households with babies who use disposable nappies.

Now there's an area where there really needs to be much more persuasion towards sustainable choices. Disposable nappies are truly horrific for the environment (as well as baby's bottom, for that matter).

I loved using reusable nappies, but the upfront cost is prohibitive for people. There needs to be more help.

tony_mac

Established Member
Plenty of councils offer a food waste collection with no issues.
Is it that common? I couldn't find a single council in the north of England that even accepts general food waste (as opposed to compostable waste), let alone one that collects it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it that common? I couldn't find a single council in the north of England that even accepts general food waste (as opposed to compostable waste), let alone one that collects it.

MK Council collect all food waste.

What food waste is not compostable, out of interest? In any case, there is no harm to unpackaged food waste going in landfill, it will just biodegrade, that's kind of the point.

Enlightened again :)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Or is it that washing ****-covered nappies is no fun, and that they leak much more than disposables?

I never minded the washing and drying, and leaks were no worse than with Pampers to be honest. You'd need to change them more often, but not by much. YMMV.YMMV

For me the issue was cost- £80 upfront stings, even though you'd be breaking even after a month it's finding that initial money.

tony_mac

Established Member
MK Council collect all food waste.
Thanks, it seems that collections are a bit more common than recycling points - but I could still only find Manchester in the north that offers it city-wide (plus a small area of Leeds, and houses in Hull without a garden).

What food waste is not compostable, out of interest?
Perhaps I should have said 'not easily compostable' - e.g., meat and fish products as opposed to vegetables.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Wrap (Waste and Resources Action Programme) website states that as of 2011 47% of UK local authorities provide food waste collection, including everywhere in Wales and all non-rural houses in Scotland are required to offer the service.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Our council started off by accepting only vegetable-based food waste, but they'll take any food waste now. We were provided with a small container to keep in the kitchen and it gets emptied into the brown bin that was previously only used for garden waste. Apparently it goes to a company which uses "Vertical Composting Units", which reach a higher temperature. Leaflet here:
http://www.moray.gov.uk/downloads/file74529.pdf

From June we'll be going over to 3-weekly general waste collections, and that suits fine. One bag a month is all we put out these days, and if we were able to recycle things like plastic food trays there would be even less going to landfill.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

exactly. It is a superb system. I rarely put out a balck bag.

( BTW we are moving from pink to clear plastic sacks for recycling as it make sit easier for the people at the plant to filter out glass)

Perhaps I should have said 'not easily compostable' - e.g., meat and fish products as opposed to vegetables.

It all goes in the MK waste recycling stem. Bones, fat, meat, fish, veg, tea bags, coffee grounds, cooked or raw food, garden waste. All in one bin. Everything. it is great system.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It all goes in the MK waste recycling stem. Bones, fat, meat, fish, veg, tea bags, coffee grounds, cooked or raw food, garden waste. All in one bin. Everything. it is great system.
Food waste collections will take anything, cooked or uncooked, due to the methods of processing being used. However cooked foods shouldn’t really go into a home compost bin (le. one in your garden) due to a variety of reasons. It /is/ possible however not recommended unless you treat it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Food waste collections will take anything, cooked or uncooked, due to the methods of processing being used. However cooked foods shouldn’t really go into a home compost bin (le. one in your garden) due to a variety of reasons. It /is/ possible however not recommended unless you treat it.

Thanks - i didn't know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.