• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Michael Palins Confessions of a Train Spotter 1980

Status
Not open for further replies.

acquiesce

Hi,

I have always loved this 1980 travelogue by Michael Palin, where he travels from
Euston to Kyle of Lochalsh for the BBC's Great Railway Journeys of The World.

I watched as a kid growing up and still watch it.

I know this is a ridiculous and possibly stupid question but can anyone tell me how some of the photography would have been done back then?

For example; the section on the East Coast Mainline where he is travelling on the HST from Newcastle to Edinburgh? The photography is so smooth and the shots are spectacular. Would the aerial photography been taken from a helicopter following them? It just seems so sophisticated for the BCC in 1980.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
ISTR a light aircraft was used to film the Scotsman back in the 20s so I would certainly expect a helicopter by 1980. I suspect BBC budgets were less tight then!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Couldn't see anything specifically mentioned in the closing credits at the end of the episode in question, but the way the aerial shot is done of a Southbound train crossing Glenfinnan viaduct, I'd say it was a helicopter that was used.

Davester50

It's a shame that the iPlayer hasn't got the first series available. The second is, but the first has a lot of social history as well as interesting places to visit.
I have no interest in Southern Africa, but the one there is fascinating, particularly for the changes that have happened to the featured countries.

acquiesce

It's a shame that the iPlayer hasn't got the first series available. The second is, but the first has a lot of social history as well as interesting places to visit.
I have no interest in Southern Africa, but the one there is fascinating, particularly for the changes that have happened to the featured countries.
Yes, I was hoping they would show the episode poet "Ben Okri" did in 1994 from London to Arcadia in Greece. Itw as my second favourite to Michael Palins. I can't even find Ben's on Youtube

acquiesce

Couldn't see anything specifically mentioned in the closing credits at the end of the episode in question, but the way the aerial shot is done of a Southbound train crossing Glenfinnan viaduct, I'd say it was a helicopter that was used.

37.20 - 37-41 is simply stunning. So even for 1980 they would have taken a helicopter up there?

acquiesce

ISTR a light aircraft was used to film the Scotsman back in the 20s so I would certainly expect a helicopter by 1980. I suspect BBC budgets were less tight then!
Thanks -- The part at: 37.20 - 37-41 is just stunning. Does anyone happen to know what the landmarks buildings are you see in this short clip and can anyone who is familar with the area post a screen pic of that area how it looks today? Thank you so much.

Spartacus

Established Member
I certainly wouldn't rule out a light aircraft for some of the shots, particularly the faster ones, or even some help from the RAF who might treat it as an interesting training exercise.

Merthyr Imp

Quite likely helicopters were used. There was a whole series of documentaries filmed entirely from helicopters which dated back to the late 1960s:

'Bird's Eye View is a British television series produced by the BBC between 1969 and 1971, initially transmitted on BBC2. It was edited by Edward Mirzoeff, and was filmed entirely from a helicopter.

'An initial Bird's Eye View of Great Britain was shown on Christmas Eve 1967.'

The John Betjeman ones are particularly good.

acquiesce

Quite likely helicopters were used. There was a whole series of documentaries filmed entirely from helicopters which dated back to the late 1960s:

'Bird's Eye View is a British television series produced by the BBC between 1969 and 1971, initially transmitted on BBC2. It was edited by Edward Mirzoeff, and was filmed entirely from a helicopter.

'An initial Bird's Eye View of Great Britain was shown on Christmas Eve 1967.'

The John Betjeman ones are particularly good.
Thanks for that. I have never heard of that series. Will definitely check it out.

It's a shame we can't find some of the people featured on Palins jorney i.e. the girl on the train serving him the coffee.

I do wish the BBC would put up all the Great Railway Journeys. I really would like to see the Ben Okri one from 1994 where he travels from London to Greece. It was my second favourite next to Michael Palins 1980 journey.

I wasn't so keen on Michael Portilios series. I think it was because I was fed up of seeing him. He did far too many and it's a shame other presenters couldn't have one some episodes and I don't mean celebrities; I mean real journalists. People you don't see or hear about, unlike the same old faces shown day in day out.

Thanks

Merthyr Imp

I do wish the BBC would put up all the Great Railway Journeys. I really would like to see the Ben Okri one from 1994 where he travels from London to Greece. It was my second favourite next to Michael Palins 1980 journey.

One I particularly like is Miles Kington in the Andes:

acquiesce

One I particularly like is Miles Kington in the Andes:

Yes, I remember it. I watched it for the first time a few years back. Miles was good. He got flustered when the guy in the ticket office was explaining what route he could go. He had the right voice for it and was s traditional British journalist. Not some z-list wannabe celebrity.

I remember this episode had quite psychodelic music to it.

I was quite surprised Ian Lee who did the music for Michael Palins didn't do them for the whole series.

I do wish the BBC would put them all up. We pay them enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.