• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Micro Gricing opportunities lost and gained with new Timetable (Quail level)

Status
Not open for further replies.

London Trains

The spur sees no booked use from N to S (Victoria start), but sees 3 booked trains S to N in the new timetable (M-F); all Thameslink operated. The 1I07, 1I09 and 1I11. This spur gets regular use during engineering.
Not Thameslink operated, Southern Operated. Some SN trains are showing as TL including these, which is probably why you are confused.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazr

Not Thameslink operated, Southern Operated. Some SN trains are showing as TL including these, which is probably why you are confused.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it odd as I didn't hear anything about TL going into Victoria.

1D53

Established Member
Always a bit random which platform you arrive at or depart from. Depends on what freights are running.
Mostly five minute turnarounds so most will turn back without the empty shunt.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The spur sees no booked use from N to S (Victoria start), but sees 3 booked trains S to N in the new timetable (M-F)

So that's 06.45, 07.13 and 08.07 from Horsham to Victoria - the 07.13 would presumably be the 07.20 re-timed, so I would venture to suggest that this is not a loss of an opportunity to ride the chord but an increase from one to three opportunities daily?

Crossover

Established Member
I believe the Mondays-Fridays 2J96 07:59 Woodgrange Park to Willesden Junction which uses the avoiding lines at Gospel Oak will be withdrawn after Friday 18 May.

This is according to the PSUL website.

Presumably that means an end also to the movement to Willesden Jn p2 too

greatkingrat

Established Member
There are still very early and very late trains to/from Stratford that use the low level platform 2 in order to access the depot.

Crossover

Established Member
Less micro-gricing, but there will be a Stalybridge to Stockport service from the TT change

gazr

Less micro-gricing, but there will be a Stalybridge to Stockport service from the TT change

Thanks for that... Have been holding off visiting Denton station in the past, but now both platforms can be gained, I need to book a Friday night in Manchester!

causton

Established Member
Quite why it exists is anyone's guess - the demand chiefly exists in the previous hour.

Same as why there is a random 1519 Clapham Junction - Watford Junction and a 1612 return back to Croydon... surely the demand is later! Not sure how busy it will be but then again anything on that line will fill up at Shepherds Bush!

gazr

Another one to add to the lost list: Morpeth Down Slow (shown as GL on OTT). The evening service to Chathill no longer waits in the loop and there are no other booked services.

gazr

GW43125

Established Member
So that's 06.45, 07.13 and 08.07 from Horsham to Victoria - the 07.13 would presumably be the 07.20 re-timed, so I would venture to suggest that this is not a loss of an opportunity to ride the chord but an increase from one to three opportunities daily?

If you're being really pedantic, you lose the opportunity to have the crossover at either end of the fast spur by doing it towards London.

It's still sometimes used if something gets run fast to Sutton.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It's changed from the Friday to a Saturday service, with a train departing Stalybridge P2 @ 08:46 and return departing Stockport @ 09:45. See link here: https://www.opentraintimes.com/schedules?utf8=✓&q[c][1525793382238][a][0][name]=schedule_locations_tiploc&q[c][1525793382238][p]=eq&q[c][1525793382238][v][0][value]=SBYD&q[c][1525793388713][a][0][name]=schedule_locations_platform&q[c][1525793388713][p]=eq&q[c][1525793388713][v][0][value]=2&commit=Search

Of interest, there is no inbound ECS working into P2 to form this service as of yet!!

Thank you.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Technically it is micro-gricing: it introduces the only way of doing the Up line (where it exists) between Guide Bridge and Heaton Norris!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If you're being really pedantic, you lose the opportunity to have the crossover at either end of the fast spur by doing it towards London.

It's still sometimes used if something gets run fast to Sutton.

Yes, but there weren't any down workings booked in the timetable anyway? I have used the present 07.20 from Horsham a few times ( from Epsom ) and it's always stayed on the fast lines as far as Victoria, so the crossover was unavailable anyway.

GW43125

Established Member
Yes, but there weren't any down workings booked in the timetable anyway? I have used the present 07.20 from Horsham a few times ( from Epsom ) and it's always stayed on the fast lines as far as Victoria, so the crossover was unavailable anyway.

Apologies, I misunderstood. I thought there was a direction change.

Crossover

Established Member
Of interest, there is no inbound ECS working into P2 to form this service as of yet!!

I had also noticed that!

Technically it is micro-gricing: it introduces the only way of doing the Up line (where it exists) between Guide Bridge and Heaton Norris!

I think it’s probably just gricing given the amount of track involved. Either way, I’ve already done it on railtours a couple of times now

Ih8earlies

Sundays Only*
1P80 14:48 MBR - MIA will not call at Northallerton. Instead it is booked to run via the avoiding line under the ECML.

York Guards and Drivers are currently being cycled through a route brief.
(*Subject to Train Crew route knowledge)

03_179

Established Member
For those that do track to Quail level, the new timetable brings new opportunities as well as taking some away. I'll try and maintain a list if others post, or just let this die if no-one is interested! Obviously, with just weeks to go until timetable change, any bits being lost that are posted here would be appreciated. I'll get the ball rolling with these:

2) Selhurst DVS - UVS (P1 start)

Which services does this relate to ?

03_179

Established Member
It'll more than likely go off Platform two. One ofthe old Thameslink services was always booked off Platform one and 99% of the time went of platform two.

I decided to get on the Woodgrange Park to Williesden Junction train from Upper Holloway this morning. Plenty of happy through passengers, and plenty of “this train does not call at Gospel Oak” announcements.

PS Quail level is because of the Quail company which used to publish excellent track diagrams of UK railways (and some others). Now Trackmaps I think.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I believe the Mondays-Fridays 2J96 07:59 Woodgrange Park to Willesden Junction which uses the avoiding lines at Gospel Oak will be withdrawn after Friday 18 May.

This is according to the PSUL website.

This train has now been reinstated on a STP basis. How long it continues to run for will depend on class 710 progress.

geoffk

Established Member
Looks like there won't be anything starting from Marsden P3 towards Huddersfield, so that crossover won't be possible.
According to RTT, there will be just one train a day using platform 3 at Marsden (06.00 Huddersfield - Manchester Picc), everything else from 2.

The only other one mentioned in my area is Buckshaw Parkway. Gazr has done a lot of work!

tsr

Established Member
2A06 0625 Redhill - Tonbridge and 2A09 0701 Tonbridge - Redhill, on Saturdays only, will be your new services using routes set between Platform 2 at Tonbridge and the Redhill-Tonbridge line.

It remains to be seen if any trains are booked to use the bi-directional signalling between Leigh and Tonbridge. I am not 100% sure whether any trains are actually booked to use it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.