• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Micro Gricing opportunities lost and gained with new Timetable (Quail level)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazr

Another one for the gained pile: Coulsdon Town. Lots of trains now terminating at this location; all trains bar one are booked to start from P2. The single train booked to arrive P1 is a SO 2T59 which arrives Couldson Town at 21:02, and relies on the Purley Sidings to Horsham/Tonbridge freight passing in P2 (I'm guessing this is a rail treatment train that will start in the autumn). There is another SX service, but think it's a scheduling error as the train departs ECS P2 (although shown arriving P1).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
Lost: Leigham Spur (Tulse Hill to Streatham Hill).

Currently one service per day (2I23 10:04 London Bridge-Streatham Hill), being axed.

gazr

Thanks again everyone for the input! I'm one of those that need the Leigham Spur towards Tulse Hill, so will be making arrangements to intercept that service at some point :)

London Trains

Thanks again everyone for the input! I'm one of those that need the Leigham Spur towards Tulse Hill, so will be making arrangements to intercept that service at some point :)
I think most do since it's not used in passenger service now:lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Might be worth mentioning that platform 2 at Saltburn will see booked usage from the new timetable with the 06:09 Hexham - Saltburn service & the 09:00 Saltburn - Nunthorpe using it

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
As far as I can see there will no longer be any service over Milford Junction - Gascoigne Wood.

Kite159

Veteran Member
One unusual move I can see at Worthing is the use of the platform 1 loop with the 1314 Portsmouth Harbour to Brighton service on Sundays, where it gets looped by both a GWR Brighton & a Southern from Littlehampton.

Also on Sundays the 1730 Brighton to Fratton gets looped by a GWR service at Barnham, using the connection from platform 1 towards Havant (at a slightly more sociable hour than early morning)

gazr

Well, it's May timetable change coming up, and most TOCs have uploaded their timings. Will try my best to update OP with any observations noted below. I'll start with the South Acton x/o (NLL turnbacks) being axed come May, so use it or lose it. I'll also try and include other oddities, for example: Breich now gets a full service, and Golf Street / Barry Links get a 100% increase in service to two trains each way per day (may finally give those a go now).

Edit: I have just seen Kite's post in another thread, and wanted to note I did not steal the information from that, but it was coincidence that we posted near the same thing minutes apart (FREAKY!) :)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well, it's May timetable change coming up, and most TOCs have uploaded their timings. Will try my best to update OP with any observations noted below. I'll start with the South Acton x/o (NLL turnbacks) being axed come May, so use it or lose it. I'll also try and include other oddities, for example: Breich now gets a full service, and Golf Street / Barry Links get a 100% increase in service to two trains each way per day (may finally give those a go now).

Edit: I have just seen Kite's post in another thread, and wanted to note I did not steal the information from that, but it was coincidence that we posted near the same thing minutes apart (FREAKY!) :)

I know it was a bit freaky as I was looking up the info for something else around Breich, and decided to look up the other very limited served stations to see that Balmossie/Golf Street/Barry Links doubles in frequency but Springfield remains the same.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
In May 2018, the crossover from Platform 1 at Cambridge onto the Up line fell in use quite substantially - from 1-2 per hour to only about 3-4 times a day (it is noticeably less "polished" now). The May 19 timetable should see it used most hours again by tge xx24 Cambridge-Brighton.

Related to this, the King's Cross-Cambridge North stoppers now need to arrive into Platform 4 via the through line and scissors crossover - a move that has rarely been timetabled in the Down direction, but will now be used most hours.

Keith Jarrett

Streatham Fast Spur

In the down the 07:11 Victoria to Epsom is a good candidate for the spur in the down direction. It's formed off of an up working from East Grinstead and has a 7 minute turnaround in Victoria using platform 18. The East Grinstead is often late, leading to the 07:11 leaving late and skip stopping to Epsom, sometimes Clapham Junction & Sutton only

OwlMan

Established Member
Crossovers at Coventry North Junction to be regularly used as Nuneaton trains depart from Platform 4. The 0715 from Nuneaton to Leamington is the only southbound train to cross over to Platform 4 at Coventry north Junction in that direction.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
You could add the bay platform (1) at Bournemouth with the arrival of the 1638 Winchester to Bournemouth service on weekdays.

Currently has no booked use for passenger services

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
One unusual move I can see at Worthing is the use of the platform 1 loop with the 1314 Portsmouth Harbour to Brighton service on Sundays, where it gets looped by both a GWR Brighton & a Southern from Littlehampton.

Also on Sundays the 1730 Brighton to Fratton gets looped by a GWR service at Barnham, using the connection from platform 1 towards Havant (at a slightly more sociable hour than early morning)

Worthing platform 1 used to see really high usage in the days of 400 stock and the timetable which had Littlehampton portions attach to an ex Bournemouth portion at Worthing. To ensure jumpers were attached on a side they could be split again on the platform side all the attachments took place in platform 1 at Worthing.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Worthing platform 1 used to see really high usage in the days of 400 stock and the timetable which had Littlehampton portions attach to an ex Bournemouth portion at Worthing. To ensure jumpers were attached on a side they could be split again on the platform side all the attachments took place in platform 1 at Worthing.

Nice bit of history sadly lost over time with the loss of workings from Bournemouth

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like the only 'booked' passenger use of bay platform 3 at Worcester Shrub Hill disappears from May, as the Sunday only 11:38 Worcester - Bristol service is booked from platform 2.

gazr

Looks like the only 'booked' passenger use of bay platform 3 at Worcester Shrub Hill disappears from May, as the Sunday only 11:38 Worcester - Bristol service is booked from platform 2.

Oh great... another trip I need to plan before the timetable change! :) Adding to OP.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Oh great... another trip I need to plan before the timetable change! :) Adding to OP.

I would probably suggest heading there on the 12th May as it appears XC services are getting diverted via Worcester so there is more chance the unit getting put into the bay rather than just being shunted to the far end of platform 2.

(Which annoyingly I'm in Scotland that day, so either I have to gamble on a Sunday next month or wait for another day where XC services are going via Worcester)

Last edited:

DavidGrain

Established Member
Unplanned movements at Worcester Shrub Hill yesterday (18th May 2019)
The last day of running HST from Paddington to Great Malvern was terminated at Worcester Shrub Hill because of late running and the need to be back at Paddington for the 6.00pm line up. This meant that it was occupying platform 1 so that Cross Country trains on diversion had to run through the centre line. Stopping trains were able to use the north end of platform 1 by the crossover.

Previously when I have been on diverted XC trains we have had to wait for GWR trains to clear platform 1

Established Member
Not seen mentioned in here, there is now a SX 2313 Barking - Hampstead Heath which does the non-platform line at Gospel Oak. However subject to amendment as with all things T&H for a few months.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Not seen mentioned in here, there is now a SX 2313 Barking - Hampstead Heath which does the non-platform line at Gospel Oak. However subject to amendment as with all things T&H for a few months.

Is this one in addition to the early morning ex Woodgrange Park - Willesden Junction low level (omitting Gospel Oak), or has that been replaced with the above so as to fulfil the legal requirement to provide a passenger service along the non platform line?

Established Member
Is this one in addition to the early morning ex Woodgrange Park - Willesden Junction low level (omitting Gospel Oak), or has that been replaced with the above so as to fulfil the legal requirement to provide a passenger service along the non platform line?
Morning one has been gone for ages. Not aware of any requirement to do so, its only been done for a few years.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Morning one has been gone for ages. Not aware of any requirement, its only been done for a few years.

I'm not aware of any requirement either to have a service via the non-platform line.

There is no route unserved if it is withdrawn (as passengers simply change at Gospel Oak). Don't think it could reasonably be argued that it is sufficiently different to require a 'parliamentary' service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm not aware of any requirement either to have a service via the non-platform line.

There is no route unserved if it is withdrawn (as passengers simply change at Gospel Oak). Don't think it could reasonably be argued that it is sufficiently different to require a 'parliamentary' service.
I agree, I thought it was introduced into service comparatively recently, (as 87015 mentioned) to aid capacity on the NLL stretch towards Willesden Jn by using a peak extra Goblin train that was on its way back to the depot. Nothing to do with “parliamentary” services or legal requirements...

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

How does that explain the Fort William sleeper train being saved from the axe in 1995, as that particular train was the only one to use certain sections of track that no other passenger trains used at that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.