• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Micro Gricing opportunities lost and gained with new Timetable (Quail level)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like the bay at Hereford has lost it's only booked weekly use, although I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the last couple BLNs its been out of use due to a track fault for a few weeks

(*Branch Line News)

Also non-sleeper use of the section of line from Portobello Junction to Bushbury Junction in the West Midlands with the (Saturdays Only) 06:04 Northampton - Crewe service (avoids Wolverhampton)).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
How does that explain the Fort William sleeper train being saved from the axe in 1995, as that particular train was the only one to use certain sections of track that no other passenger trains used at that time?

I don't think that's the reason they saved the Fort William train, though - it had more to do with the huge outcry that resulted when it was proposed to stop running it.

Veteran Member
I'm not aware of any requirement either to have a service via the non-platform line.

There is no route unserved if it is withdrawn (as passengers simply change at Gospel Oak). Don't think it could reasonably be argued that it is sufficiently different to require a 'parliamentary' service.
The service to Gospel Oak was introduced as part of the Bedpan electrification, so no historic service was withdrawn (Wikipedia gives 1926 for the previous closure!).

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Also non-sleeper use of the section of line from Portobello Junction to Bushbury Junction in the West Midlands with the (Saturdays Only) 06:04 Northampton - Crewe service (avoids Wolverhampton)).
Wow, good spot! Bad luck for you if you split tickets at Wolverhampton and naively assumed all trains between Birmingham and Stafford/Crewe call there :lol:

I suppose that one can be called the Stafford Express!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
How does that explain the Fort William sleeper train being saved from the axe in 1995, as that particular train was the only one to use certain sections of track that no other passenger trains used at that time?

I don't think that's the reason they saved the Fort William train, though - it had more to do with the huge outcry that resulted when it was proposed to stop running it.

Correct, it was nothing to do with track coverage. And everything to do with politics.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Wow, good spot! Bad luck for you if you split tickets at Wolverhampton and naively assumed all trains between Birmingham and Stafford/Crewe call there :lol:

I suppose that one can be called the Stafford Express!

No doubt it will have some Wolverhampton passengers on board asking "when do we reach Wolverhampton" like what happened on New year's Day with some XC services to Manchester sent via Nuneaton due to a line block between Wolverhampton & Stafford :) (because every Manchester train calls at Wolverhampton)

robbeech

Established Member
The crossover just south of Gainsborough Central appears to be in use now for services restarting there and going to Sheffield. There’s a booked ECS move but apparently they’re not doing it and instead using the (terrible condition) Crossover just outside the station.

Tomnick

Established Member
The crossover just south of Gainsborough Central appears to be in use now for services restarting there and going to Sheffield. There’s a booked ECS move but apparently they’re not doing it and instead using the (terrible condition) Crossover just outside the station.
The booked shunt appears to be via that crossover to the south, then back into the Down platform to start in service from there. No idea what’s actually happening, but the move from the Up platform is under the authority of a shunt signal so they shouldn’t really be starting from there routinely.

robbeech

Established Member
Apparently ‘that is how we are doing it’.
I did find it a bit odd. The guard can’t see the signal from the rear so has to walk to the front of the train, then walk to the back (14x stock so no other dispatch location that follows protocol) to dispatch.

I must say I did assume the train continued forwards and used another crossover up there (maybe there isn’t one).

Kite159

Veteran Member
The booked shunt appears to be via that crossover to the south, then back into the Down platform to start in service from there. No idea what’s actually happening, but the move from the Up platform is under the authority of a shunt signal so they shouldn’t really be starting from there routinely.

Judging by a picture on twitter (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7Bn1UpXoAY6Hrk.jpg) there is a sign saying "all trains depart from platform 2 except the 3x Saturday trains from Cleethorpes which depart from platform 1"

--------------

One crossover which probably has been lost is the one at Buckshaw Parkway now the Northern service which used to terminate there have been extended to Preston?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Judging by a picture on twitter (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7Bn1UpXoAY6Hrk.jpg) there is a sign saying "all trains depart from platform 2 except the 3x Saturday trains from Cleethorpes which depart from platform 1"

--------------

One crossover which probably has been lost is the one at Buckshaw Parkway now the Northern service which used to terminate there have been extended to Preston?
I can confirm that (I visited the station on Saturday).

The timetable from the local railway association has asterisks next to the trains which depart from platform 1.

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_163753_1.jpg
    IMG_20190518_163753_1.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190518_163600.jpg
    IMG_20190518_163600.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66

Pokelet

Was it a full 2+8 HST? I traveled from shrub hill for years and a full HST would sit across the crossing to the far end of 1B. The move from the centre line (that ends at buffers) to 1B is taken close to walking pace in a 170. Is a 220 even cleared with crew signing it?

robbeech

Established Member
I can confirm that (I visited the station on Saturday).

The timetable from the local railway association has asterisks next to the trains which depart from platform 1.
See no real problem apart from the sighting issue for the guard. They obviously have a procedure in place for it. It’s interesting that the ECS moves are still in though as those signs have clearly been up. I’ll do it again if I get chance in a couple of weeks and see if the crossover has cleaned up a bit.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Was it a full 2+8 HST? I traveled from shrub hill for years and a full HST would sit across the crossing to the far end of 1B. The move from the centre line (that ends at buffers) to 1B is taken close to walking pace in a 170. Is a 220 even cleared with crew signing it?

If you are replying to my post about the last day of HST operation on GWR on 18th May. I did not get from Foregate Street to Shrub Hill in time to see the HST. I am going by RTT in my comments. Yes it was a full HST. I assume it backed away from the cross over. RTT shows two trains passing it. A diverted XC Plymouth to Manchester train which would go through non-stop and a GWR Brighton to Great Malvern train which stopped at platform 1b. I don't know the details of route knowledge but would signing for this line not also include both tacks through Shrub Hill? Especially if there is a severe speed restriction.

louis97

Established Member
If you are replying to my post about the last day of HST operation on GWR on 18th May. I did not get from Foregate Street to Shrub Hill in time to see the HST. I am going by RTT in my comments. Yes it was a full HST. I assume it backed away from the cross over. RTT shows two trains passing it. A diverted XC Plymouth to Manchester train which would go through non-stop and a GWR Brighton to Great Malvern train which stopped at platform 1b. I don't know the details of route knowledge but would signing for this line not also include both tacks through Shrub Hill? Especially if there is a severe speed restriction.
The HST went into the Long Siding, the siding on the down side at the South end of the station. Nothing went through the Middle Siding, it isn't a passenger line anyway.

sonic2009

Established Member
The 0604 Northampton - Crewe must avoid Wolverhampton due to the fact there's a few services timetabled via Sandwell at that time in the morning.
Looks like the bay at Hereford has lost it's only booked weekly use, although I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the last couple BLNs its been out of use due to a track fault for a few weeks

(*Branch Line News)

PP57601

For those that do track to Quail level, the new timetable brings new opportunities as well as taking some away. Below is a list compiled by those kind enough to post information in this thread.

Lost (May 2019)
1) Angel Road (Station) (Replaced with Meridian Water on site just South)
2) Watton-At-Stone to Stevenage (P4)
3) Prudhoe x/o
4) Worcester Shrub Hill P3 (Bay Platform)

Gained (May 2019)
1) Coventry P4 - Nuneaton Line.
2) Various x/o's @ Cambridge station
3) Bournemouth P1 (inbound only)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lost (May 2018):
1) Uttley Junction crossover (South Bermondsey turnback). Very unlikely to be used in anger with TL online.
2) Huntingdon P1
3) Richmond P6 (London Overground Service)
4) Various crossovers between New Barnet and Hitchin
5) Marsden crossover
6) Oxted London-end crossover
7) Morpeth Down Slow loop.

Gained (May 2018):
1) Baldock crossover
2) Selhurst DVS - UVS (P1 start)
3) Richmond P7 (London Overground service) one service M-F
4) South Acton crossover
5) Buckshaw Parkway crossover
6) Various crossovers around Alexander Palace with more services using SL2 in both directions
7) Various crossovers in the remodelled London Bridge area
8) Prudhoe crossover

Does the 18:40 Prudhoe - Morpeth not use the crossover upon departure?

Cletus

Established Member
Currently on a Paddington to Cardiff service being diverted through Bath to Bristol Parkway.

As we are avoiding Temple Meads, is any rare track involved?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Currently on a Paddington to Cardiff service being diverted through Bath to Bristol Parkway.

As we are avoiding Temple Meads, is any rare track involved?
Yes. There is one train per day (15:54 Bristol Parkway to Bath Spa), which runs southbound avoiding Temple Meads (Dr Days to North Somerset Junctions). Going northbound is not possible in the normal timetable (as far as I'm aware).

Cletus

Established Member
Yes. There is one train per day (15:54 Bristol Parkway to Bath Spa), which runs southbound avoiding Temple Meads (Dr Days to North Somerset Junctions). Going northbound is not possible in the normal timetable (as far as I'm aware).

Thanks for the reply.

Crossover

Established Member

It is also a mechanical disc (shunt signal) that the trains depart under. I hear due for replacement with something more "mainline". Possibly one of the only passenger moves starting off on a dolly (not including permissive working)

Status
Not open for further replies.