• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Micro-USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having a difficult evening Rob? :lol:

PermitToTravel

Established Member
It's largely disappearing in favour of USB-C, which is (among other benefits) considerably ergonomically superior

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Truly the worst invention known to man.

There is nothing good to be said about the cursed thing.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's largely disappearing in favour of USB-C, which is (among other benefits) considerably ergonomically superior

It never dissappears fast enough though. I was aware of better systems when I bought this phone, yet anyone on a budget was still cursed with this rubbish.

AM9

Veteran Member
I don't have any issues with them on much more complex kit than mobiles.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Why should the people who invent this crap be allowed to retire without being told how rubbish their inventions are ?

They should be made to listen to a pannel of users of micro-usb to explain exactly why they are failures of mankind.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why is mankind still cursed with this excrement.
I'm not. I switched to USB-C two and a half years ago.

Also, did you take the advice in this previous thread https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/the-universal-phone-charger-connection.125038/#post-2413997?

The micro USB connector is designed for the plug to be sacrificial, so the fix is to replace the cheap cable, not the expensive device.
Yes, agreed and you told @yorksrob this before:
The micro USB interface is well designed as a universal connector set for devices up to 2A or so. The key to the endurance of the connector is the sacrificial nature of the plug. If anything wears out or is stressed, it is far better that the plug dies so that the socket lives on. Imagine you £400 phone requiring a new USB socket. Better to get a new charger or even just the cable.
:lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think it's realistic to expect an effectively disposable phone to be any good for £60; it's not sensible for the environment to buy cheap disposable rubbish and it's not going to be good for you either.

There are plenty of articles out there with advice.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-usb-type-c-phones/
It'll take some time to get there, but USB-C is the future. It's already joined devices since 2015, and will feature on almost every phone, major or minor (iPhones excluded). Flagships generally took the lead...

As the parts become cheaper over time, look for the midrange and entry-level handsets to start getting Type-C, too. Since PCs use Type-C as well, "We should see price points come down fast enough to make it viable throughout the [phone maker's] portfolio....

Here is an up-to-date article regarding sub-£200 phones, some of which include USB-C:
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-phones-under-200-pounds-uk-848093/

Ultimately it's your choice, but I reject the suggestion that it's sensible or viable to pay £60 for a smartphone device and expect it to be any good.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Truly the worst invention known to man.

There is nothing good to be said about the cursed thing.

The one thing good to say about it is that it's a standard. At least you can now charge any (non-Apple) phone on any charger.

USB-C is however vastly superior and will replace it in due course as the standard.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd like to reference the bit above about the micro-USB connector being sacrificial etc... And say its poorly designed tripe.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The micro USB connector is designed for the plug to be sacrificial, so the fix is to replace the cheap cable, not the expensive device.

Good point - that is a good thing about it (which is carried over to USB-C I think). Lightning (the Apple plug) isn't - once the socket fails, that's going to cost.

You do get problems with micro-USB if you buy cables off eBay for 50p. Buy decent ones and they generally last.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd like to reference the bit above about the micro-USB connector being sacrificial etc... And say its poorly designed tripe.
Fine, but you were advised of this three years ago when you last brought it up.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think it's realistic to expect an effectively disposable phone to be any good for £60; it's not sensible for the environment to buy cheap disposable rubbish and it's not going to be good for you either.

That's nonsense. I keep my phones as long as they will work.

By saying that a £60 phone is disposable, you're perpetuating the myth that a product bought for £60 is worth being thrown away. If I pay £60 for something, I expect it to work. Not to is a waste of resources.

Adam Williams

Established Member

Here is an up-to-date article regarding sub-£200 phones, some of which include USB-C:
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-phones-under-200-pounds-uk-848093/

Completely agree on this, £100 is probably too low a bar in terms of price point.

OP: There are some decent (in terms of specs, at least) Huawei phones available for around 200 (e.g. Huawei P20 Lite) if you want reasonably priced but still decent device. Keep in mind these are all now general purpose computing devices rather than just something that makes calls which isn't worthy of more than a few pounds! They run a full OS, have specs better than the first few PCs I ever used. Sure - some of the higher end Pixel phones are a little unreasonably priced IMO (I own a Pixel 2 and wasn't too happy about the price), but this isn't the case across the board. It's worth investing in something decent, and the environmental benefits are a plus too.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Fine, but you were advised of this three years ago when you last brought it up.

It's still a bad design.

I looked for alternatives, as per your advice, and the affordable ones all had micro-USB.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's nonsense. I keep my phones as long as they will work.

By saying that a £60 phone is disposable, you're perpetuating the myth that a product bought for £60 is worth being thrown away. If I pay £60 for something, I expect it to work. Not to is a waste of resources.

I note your county of origin ( :) ) but a brand-new smartphone at £60 is a disposable item. It simply isn't possible to build one with any longevity at that kind of price point.

You could argue that such phones should not be on sale at all, of course, but if you buy one what you're buying is effectively disposable.

As others have said, around £200 is the price point for a robust basic smartphone which will last reasonably well. Or if you prefer, you could buy one used which might well go for around £50.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's still a bad design.

I looked for alternatives, as per your advice, and the affordable ones all had micro-USB.
I don't think there is anything more that can be added that hasn't been said above (or in the previous thread) to be honest; it's your choice at the end of the day, we can't force people to take advice, and decisions do have consequences!

Greg Read

Aren't such phones called 'burn' phones, due to their cheapness and disposal ? of course many just want a phone to make calls and nothing else, anymore than that, you do need to be looking at a more durable, long lasting item, (climate change / plastic dumps etc) as for micro-usb, never had an issue really, if it got a bit iffy, just bought a new lead, and of course the 'C' version is very versatile :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Aren't such phones called 'burn' phones, due to their cheapness and disposal ? of course many just want a phone to make calls and nothing else, anymore than that, you do need to be looking at a more durable, long lasting item, (climate change / plastic dumps etc) as for micro-usb, never had an issue really, if it got a bit iffy, just bought a new lead, and of course the 'C' version is very versatile :)
I thought ‘Burn Phones’ were pay as you go phones that were used by dubious members of society ie drug dealers etc, that they would then throw it away if it got a bit ‘hot’...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't think there is anything more that can be added that hasn't been said above (or in the previous thread) to be honest; it's your choice at the end of the day, we can't force people to take advice, and decisions do have consequences!

I thought ‘Burn Phones’ were pay as you go phones that were used by dubious members of society ie drug dealers etc, that they would then throw it away if it got a bit ‘hot’...

I took your advice, and looked for this magical port that wasn't a micro=usb port. I couldn't find the alternative on any of the phones I looked at.

If you think that £60 quid is a "burn" phone, then no wonder the country's going down the pan. You're living in a dream world.

Good bye.

Howardh

Established Member
I've still got my 1993 Nokia, the one that has to be wound up. One day I'll figure out how to pull the aerial out so I can make a call.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Completely agree on this, £100 is probably too low a bar in terms of price point.

OP: There are some decent (in terms of specs, at least) Huawei phones available for around 200 (e.g. Huawei P20 Lite) if you want reasonably priced but still decent device. Keep in mind these are all now general purpose computing devices rather than just something that makes calls which isn't worthy of more than a few pounds! They run a full OS, have specs better than the first few PCs I ever used. Sure - some of the higher end Pixel phones are a little unreasonably priced IMO (I own a Pixel 2 and wasn't too happy about the price), but this isn't the case across the board. It's worth investing in something decent, and the environmental benefits are a plus too.

If you know what to look for and wait until bargains are available some decent smartphones can be got for around the £100 mark.

For example Argos currently have the Xiaomi Redmi note 5 and Redmi 6 for £100 https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8674012 https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8677071 Stocks are likely zero by now as it has been on bargain websites and all would have been snapped up pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.