• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mid Hants Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I travelled on the railway on Sunday, and it was a good visit.

I had to book in advance (Senior Return, £16.00), which wasn't (to me) a problem, and I was restricted to one specific return journey. I read this as being from Alresford to Alton and back, but it wasn't as simple as that. We travelled out to Alton in one go, stopping briefly at Ropley and Medstead and Four Marks. When we got to Alton, there was a short break whilst the loco (BR Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T No. 41312) ran around the train. We then started our return journey, which took us as far as Ropley, where we had a longer break. This was, I think, to allow two trains to pass us in the Alton direction, although I'm not entirely sure of this. We then set off again, but this time retracing our steps to Medstead and Four Marks, where we paused again. The loco ran around the train and we were off, back to Ropley and then to Alresford.

There were three engines in steam, 41312, BR Standard Class 4 2-6-0 No. 76017 and "Thomas", although this was sans face and number (they can't use it as Thomas on general working days without paying a lot of money!). Southern "Schools" Class 4-4-0 No. 30925 "Cheltenham" was on shed at Ropley, looking immaculate, although not in steam. There was a walking trail from the up platform around the outside of the shed and back to the up platform.

I'm not an expert on rolling stock, so I'll just say that they were using Open carriages, some with tables and some without. The ticket bore a table / seat number, and I had a four berth area to myself. Opposite me, there was a family of four (two parents and two children) and there were other combinations throughout the train. No-one was allowed to share a table with someone not in the same family group. I had to wear a face mask whilst on the train, although not on the platforms.

None of the facilities on the stations (apart from the toilets) were open, although there was a "pop up shop" at Ropley with a separate refreshment area. Both of these were separated from the platforms. There were plenty of staff, and they were very friendly and helpful.

All in all, as I said at the beginning, it was a very good visit, and I had value for money. I'd have no problem in going on another line if this was the pattern there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Hi Ebbw Vale,
At the Kent & East Sussex it would cost you £30 (up to 2 people) for a 4 seat table in a MK1 TSO for a round trip from Tenterden to Bodiam you can book it online here https://kesr.org.uk/reopening/. Sorry its more but as you will understand us Kent Tank engines are working class and we have to make ends meet in hard times. Alternatively we would encourage you to become a member for £14 if you are over 65 or £25 if under, then from August onwards you can book a table for up to 4 for £10 https://shop.myonlinebooking.co.uk/kesr/memberships.aspx?tid=74, we will be running 4 days a week Weds/ thurs/ Sat/ Sun and when we get more bookings we will be reinstating more trains. The kiosk catering facilities at tenterden and Bodiam are open along with the railway shop and Colnel Stephens museum . Our Buffet restaurant at Tenterden is still currently closed but the neighbouring pubs and cafes in tenterden will be pleased to welcome you

UP13

Was looking forward to visiting the Mid Hants again, as my children are desperate to ride behind steam engines (or diesels) again. However I notice that they insist on face masks, which is going to be near impossible to do with my 3 year old.

I think I will just donate the money I would have spent on tickets instead.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was looking forward to visiting the Mid Hants again, as my children are desperate to ride behind steam engines (or diesels) again. However I notice that they insist on face masks, which is going to be near impossible to do with my 3 year old.

Have you asked them if they require a 3 year old to wear masks? Also do they have any exemptions?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Was looking forward to visiting the Mid Hants again, as my children are desperate to ride behind steam engines (or diesels) again. However I notice that they insist on face masks, which is going to be near impossible to do with my 3 year old. I think I will just donate the money I would have spent on tickets instead.

Have you asked them if they require a 3 year old to wear masks? Also do they have any exemptions?

The two children with the family next to me were around three and five / six, I'd guess, and neither of them were wearing face masks, although their parents were, of course. I also saw other children of various ages without masks. As yorkie says, I'd ask them what the rules are before deciding what to do.

E759

Hi Ebbw Vale,
At the Kent & East Sussex it would cost you £30 (up to 2 people) for a 4 seat table in a MK1 TSO for a round trip from Tenterden to Bodiam you can book it online here https://kesr.org.uk/reopening/. Sorry its more but as you will understand us Kent Tank engines are working class and we have to make ends meet in hard times. Alternatively we would encourage you to become a member for £14 if you are over 65 or £25 if under, then from August onwards you can book a table for up to 4 for £10 https://shop.myonlinebooking.co.uk/kesr/memberships.aspx?tid=74, we will be running 4 days a week Weds/ thurs/ Sat/ Sun and when we get more bookings we will be reinstating more trains. The kiosk catering facilities at tenterden and Bodiam are open along with the railway shop and Colnel Stephens museum . Our Buffet restaurant at Tenterden is still currently closed but the neighbouring pubs and cafes in tenterden will be pleased to welcome you
Useful post thank you; I've just purchased an annual membership. Decades ago I used to visit regularly but I've neglected the line more recently. Will be good to get back :)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Hi Ebbw Vale,

Thanks for this advice, but I don't live anywhere near to the KESR, so a visit would involve a stay nearby, which isn't on the programme at the moment.

I did visit last year, and enjoyed it very much, so it'll be a while before I'm back in Kent, I think.

Train wasp

Have a watch of this YouTube video regarding travelling on the railway.

paul1609

Established Member
Useful post thank you; I've just purchased an annual membership. Decades ago I used to visit regularly but I've neglected the line more recently. Will be good to get back :)
Thanks for your support of the K & ESR. I don't know if it's made the website yet but the normal complimentary members tickets for the 2020 year can be claimed until October 2021 so hold on to your membership card next year.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Have a watch of this YouTube video regarding travelling on the railway.

Yes, this is substantially what happened during my visit on Sunday. The only difference is that my train completed the full journey from Alresford to Alton and then returned as I've described.

Nick_C

We then started our return journey, which took us as far as Ropley, where we had a longer break. This was, I think, to allow two trains to pass us in the Alton direction, although I'm not entirely sure of this.
The idea of the break at Ropley is to allow people to visit the pop-up shop/catering, have a look round the sheds, etc. It seems to be working quite well from what I've heard (I was one of the volunteers on duty last Sunday, albeit not at Ropley)

Children under 11 are exempt from having to wear a mask, as per the government requirements - you also don't have to wear one in a compartment.

paul1609

Established Member
Thanks for this advice, but I don't live anywhere near to the KESR, so a visit would involve a stay nearby, which isn't on the programme at the moment.

I did visit last year, and enjoyed it very much, so it'll be a while before I'm back in Kent, I think.
Ebbw Vale, obviously I don't know where you are based but assuming your user name gives a clue the K & ESR is perhaps not as remote as you might think we are easily reached from junction 5 of the M25 in an hour ( and its generally a very pleasant drive via the A21 expressway and then country lanes) or about 1 hr 40 from Charing Cross, Waterloo East and London Bridge to Headcorn then No 12 bus half hourly to Tenterden.
In the reverse direction Iv easily done day trips to the Dean Forest and Pontypool Railways.

UP13

The idea of the break at Ropley is to allow people to visit the pop-up shop/catering, have a look round the sheds, etc. It seems to be working quite well from what I've heard (I was one of the volunteers on duty last Sunday, albeit not at Ropley)

Children under 11 are exempt from having to wear a mask, as per the government requirements - you also don't have to wear one in a compartment.

Cheers. Will book tomorrow morning.

Does anybody know what the roster is next week and generally how busy it is?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The idea of the break at Ropley is to allow people to visit the pop-up shop/catering, have a look round the sheds, etc. It seems to be working quite well from what I've heard (I was one of the volunteers on duty last Sunday, albeit not at Ropley). Children under 11 are exempt from having to wear a mask, as per the government requirements - you also don't have to wear one in a compartment

Ah, yes, I forgot that they said that .... my mistake! It did work well, so was obviously worth doing. Regarding the exemption, I guess that it's also a matter of choice for parents, as I've seen some children wearing masks - but more not.

Ebbw Vale, obviously I don't know where you are based but assuming your user name gives a clue the K & ESR is perhaps not as remote as you might think we are easily reached from junction 5 of the M25 in an hour ( and its generally a very pleasant drive via the A21 expressway and then country lanes) or about 1 hr 40 from Charing Cross, Waterloo East and London Bridge to Headcorn then No 12 bus half hourly to Tenterden. In the reverse direction Iv easily done day trips to the Dean Forest and Pontypool Railways.

Thanks for this, and I do see what you mean, but your view is dependant on being able to drive, which I don't. In any case, because there's a number of attractions (not all railway based) in the area, I prefer to take a few days there to see as many as I can.

I also don't want to be picky, but can you use my proper name, please? As a Newportonian, being attributed to Ebbw Vale is not a good thing! Thanks.

UP13

I read that too. I think 88 will only be at the Mid Hants for a year, which is a shame as I think it would be a great addition to the fleet.

I do worry about the WSR... I have very find memories of visiting it and its a wonderful line in a tremendous part of the country.

Bedpan

Established Member
I read that too. I think 88 will only be at the Mid Hants for a year, which is a shame as I think it would be a great addition to the fleet.

I do worry about the WSR... I have very find memories of visiting it and its a wonderful line in a tremendous part of the country.
The press release says it will stay until the expiry of its boiler certificate, which is in autumn 2022.

I read it as a win/win for all parties, the MHR will have another loco for two years, its use on the MHR will generate income for the S&DRT to be able to carry out its overhaul, and the quicker this is carried out, the sooner it will be back in use on the WSR.

Last edited:

Kieran1990

That has to be rare to see the hunslet austerity out on non Thomas events.
Is this a first or does she do a couple of days year, imagine only 4 weeks use a year just for Thomas themed events aren’t enough to keep her operational

Bedpan

Established Member
I'm thinking of going down in the next week or two to ride behind it as I'm not sure that it runs as a rule without a face and a big number 1 on the side (which contractually have had to be removed even though the loco belongs to the MHR (I think). . In a way it's a pity that it hasn't been repainted in an industrial livery but I expect that the railway has far more important things to worry about after the long shut down, and maybe it attracts families with young children by virtue of its blue livery even if it doesn't have a number or a face.

paul1609

Established Member
That has to be rare to see the hunslet austerity out on non Thomas events.
Is this a first or does she do a couple of days year, imagine only 4 weeks use a year just for Thomas themed events aren’t enough to keep her operational
I think it's one of only three locos in the UK licensed to be Thomas so normally spends it's time going from event to event around the Railways.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
That has to be rare to see the hunslet austerity out on non Thomas events. Is this a first or does she do a couple of days year, imagine only 4 weeks use a year just for Thomas themed events aren’t enough to keep her operational

I'm thinking of going down in the next week or two to ride behind it as I'm not sure that it runs as a rule without a face and a big number 1 on the side (which contractually have had to be removed even though the loco belongs to the MHR (I think). . In a way it's a pity that it hasn't been repainted in an industrial livery but I expect that the railway has far more important things to worry about after the long shut down, and maybe it attracts families with young children by virtue of its blue livery even if it doesn't have a number or a face.

I think it's one of only three locos in the UK licensed to be Thomas so normally spends it's time going from event to event around the Railways.

According to two of the staff I was talking to during my visit, the loco is quite often used, but normally without the face and number because of contractual reasons. For this reason, it will not be repainted and all they do is take the face and number off. As paul1609 says, it doesn't spend all it's time on the MHR; they said that it had even gone to Scandinavia to run as Thomas in the past, thus earning the railway quite a good amount.

paul1609

Established Member
According to two of the staff I was talking to during my visit, the loco is quite often used, but normally without the face and number because of contractual reasons. For this reason, it will not be repainted and all they do is take the face and number off. As paul1609 says, it doesn't spend all it's time on the MHR; they said that it had even gone to Scandinavia to run as Thomas in the past, thus earning the railway quite a good amount.
Ironically the K & ESR hired the Caledonian Railways Thomas for our cancelled event this year that's nearly as far from home as Scandinavia!

Status
Not open for further replies.