• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Middlesbrough railway station masterplan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pinza-C55

It's nice of them to provide a "bus shelter" at the end of the platform so the local chavs have somewhere to hang out.

Darandio

Established Member
It's nice of them to provide a "bus shelter" at the end of the platform so the local chavs have somewhere to hang out.

I've used Middlesbrough station thousands of times over the years at all times of the day and never seen local 'chavs' hanging about, even in the underpass.

Ryry

So where is the plan for platform 3 is it going to be built on the other side of platform 2

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've moved the discussion about the new LNER service to its own thread here. I think it's probably worth its own thread as this one is technically about the infrastructure rather than the service!

Ryry

full line closure next weekend's 4th and 5th of September between Darlington, Middlesbrough, redcar, saltburn and Whitby. With no trains operating at all. Replacement buses will be in operations from saltburn to Darlington. Middlesbrough to hartlepool and Middlesbrough and Whitby, this is for both northern and transpennie

bearhugger

full line closure next weekend's 4th and 5th of September between Darlington, Middlesbrough, redcar, saltburn and Whitby. With no trains operating at all. Replacement buses will be in operations from saltburn to Darlington. Middlesbrough to hartlepool and Middlesbrough and Whitby, this is for both northern and transpennie
Do you happen to have a link to the closure. Just had a look on Northern's amended/reduced timetable page & there's no mention of it, noting that the page was last updated on the 16th.

Darandio

Established Member
I was wondering the same. I've noticed a few new signals in the area that look like they're pretty much ready to 'plug in and switch on'.

I know quite a few around Middlesbrough and towards Whitehouse were installed and ready to go but when I was lineside near Thornaby Place a couple of weeks ago only the foundations were in place with the new signals just laid around where they had been left on site. It's possible they have been installed over the last couple of weekends and are ready to go though.

bearhugger

I know quite a few around Middlesbrough and towards Whitehouse were installed and ready to go but when I was lineside near Thornaby Place a couple of weeks ago only the foundations were in place with the new signals just laid around where they had been left on site. It's possible they have been installed over the last couple of weekends and are ready to go though.
The signal at the end of platform 2 at Middlesbrough was laid down last time i was there, but the one where the line turns off for Whitby, just past the level crossing where you walk towards the Riverside Stadium, was installed upright but with a heavy duty cover on it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The signal at the end of platform 2 at Middlesbrough was laid down last time i was there
Speaking of, has anyone else noticed that the platform extension, despite the media coverage to the contrary, hasn't actually been finished? I took this photo the other week and a finished platform extension this does not look like:

MBR Platofrm.jpg

Now I appreciate that M691 signal is rather in the way (and you can see it's replacement in the background laid down with a bag on) but I can't help but feel that the media announcement that the extension was finished was rather, er, premature as that doesn't look finished to me!

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Speaking of, has anyone else noticed that the platform extension, despite the media coverage to the contrary, hasn't actually been finished? I took this photo the other week and a finished platform extension this does not look like:

View attachment 101686

Now I appreciate that M691 signal is rather in the way (and you can see it's replacement in the background laid down with a bag on) but I can't help but feel that the media announcement that the extension was finished was rather, er, premature as that doesn't look finished to me!
I've not heard or seen anything about further extension works, although that doesn't rule them out. Would be difficult to extend it further with a signal in the way?

Darandio

Established Member
I've not heard or seen anything about further extension works, although that doesn't rule them out. Would be difficult to extend it further with a signal in the way?

That signal is being replaced. Although it's not a great deal further the base for the new one is already in place beyond the signal. Another 10-15 metres available to play with maybe?

Edit*

Just read the post above and it's pretty much what @ainsworth74 covered. Doh.

Mollman

Established Member

I guess the extension so far is enough to permit an IEP, the further extension is either future proofing? The distance doesn't look enough to make a difference between a 5 & 9 car IEP.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Well there definitely looks like there's replacement in position in the distance so I think that that isn't a massive issue and the current one is surrounded by what looks like foundations for a further extension. But the whole thing is a little weird. I almost wonder if there was some political pressure (this is after all one of Houchen's regular bang the drum topics) to announce it as complete and then come back later to quietly finish it properly once S&T have been in to commission the new signal?
I guess the extension so far is enough to permit an IEP, the further extension is either future proofing? The distance doesn't look enough to make a difference between a 5 & 9 car IEP.
I believe the issue is that a 10-car doesn't fit. 5-car clearly does (and would have fit in the original platform length!) and 9-car probably fits now with the current extension. As I recall though the original intention of this extension was to fit 10-car IETs hence the surprise when it became clear that only 5-car IETs were running to Middlesbrough. Why bother with the platform extension at all as it wouldn't be needed if you were only running 5-cars...

And I've heard of future proofing (a good idea in the main!) but actually starting the foundations of a future extension is quite extensive future proofing :lol:

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Well there definitely looks like there's replacement in position in the distance so I think that that isn't a massive issue and the current one is surrounded by what looks like foundations for a further extension. But the whole thing is a little weird. I almost wonder if there was some political pressure (this is after all one of Houchen's regular bang the drum topics) to announce it as complete and then come back later to quietly finish it properly once S&T have been in to commission the new signal?

I believe the issue is that a 10-car doesn't fit. 5-car clearly does (and would have fit in the original platform length!) and 9-car probably fits now with the current extension. As I recall though the original intention of this extension was to fit 10-car IETs hence the surprise when it became clear that only 5-car IETs were running to Middlesbrough. Why bother with the platform extension at all as it wouldn't be needed if you were only running 5-cars...

And I've heard of future proofing (a good idea in the main!) but actually starting the foundations of a future extension is quite extensive future proofing :lol:
Yes, sorry, what I was referring to was that perhaps the extension has been postponed until such time M691 is removed. I agree with your central point regarding making a big song and dance about works being finished, though.

As an aside, the first I heard about the line being closed next weekend was this thread here.

Mollman

Established Member

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, sorry, what I was referring to was that perhaps the extension has been postponed until such time M691 is removed. I agree with your central point regarding making a big song and dance about works being finished, though.
Gotcha!

As an aside, the first I heard about the line being closed next weekend was this thread here.
I can never tell whether it's pleasing or worrying when the Forum finds out things like that first... :rolleyes:
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
No worries :)

Paul Duck

Gotcha!

I can never tell whether it's pleasing or worrying when the Forum finds out things like that first... :rolleyes:

No worries :)
Haven't heard a peep out of Northern that there is no trains throughout Teesside next weekend. Good job no football at Sunderland or Middlesbrough! The TP version only says no trains on Sunday 5th September, what about the Saturday guys?
Thirsk Races on Saturday 4th is probably the one that is going to catch the most out.

Ryry

Haven't heard a peep out of Northern that there is no trains throughout Teesside next weekend. Good job no football at Sunderland or Middlesbrough! The TP version only says no trains on Sunday 5th September, what about the Saturday guys?
Thirsk Races on Saturday 4th is probably the one that is going to catch the most out.

This should help all bus replacements

Ryry

Full closure again Saturday to Monday, demolishion of 2 signal boxes. And again towards the end of the month full weekend closure with replacement bus services between
Saltburn and Darlington
Middlesbrough and Whitby
Nunthorpe to hartlepool/Sunderland
Redcar central to Darlington/northallenton

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reported it's changing its signalling system and getting transferred over to York
Yes that's definitely the signalling work that's ongoing but a big digger has appeared out the back of P2 so I was speculating that rather than being related to the proposed P3 it was related to finishing off P2 which I think is relying on them finishing the signalling work as there's currently a signal in the way!

Apologies for any confusion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.