• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Metro - full closure from Saturday 13 November 2021 (also Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave W

Luckily West Brom aren't at home again until the Friday night of 26/11 - if it's not fixed by then the already catastrophic traffic around the stadium will be biblical.

duncanp

Established Member
Saves me worrying about when they are going to restore the service between Bull Street and Library.

This could delay the opening of the extension to Edgbaston Village, if it not possible to run some trams along the new track for testing and commissioning purposes.

It does annoy me when they say on the website

While this situation is ongoing, we are committed to keeping our customers moving

Yeah, right. <( <(

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Reminds me of how several hundred Siemens Combinos had to be recalled for strengthening - I believe they'd used a railway load case for the fatigue calculations and it wasn't applicable to roof-mounted equipment on a tramway with tight curves.

Edinburgh looks OK, the incident alert on their homepage just now led to "Page not Found". Then again they have lots of spare vehicles, and no aircon which may affect things if it's another fatigue issue.

Cletus

Established Member
The service was patchy today, long gaps between trams when I was out this afternoon.

option

West Midlands Metro services have been suspended for 4 weeks initially.

Service suspended from 13 November until further notice!​

We are sorry that there will be no Metro services from Saturday 13 November until further notice.
Earlier this year a repair programme was implemented to address cracks identified on several of our trams. As part of this work, it has become necessary for additional repairs to be carried out.
To ensure that we can continue to run a safe and reliable service, a decision has been made to remove all 21 trams from service until further notice.

Service was previously withdrawn 11 June over the same issue. A reduced service resumed on the 14th.
Twenty-one trams were removed from service on Friday morning until further notice after the vehicle manufacturer identified cracks in the underframe structure at either end of the tram.

Sydney have withdrawn all 12 of theirs, for up to 18 months.

CAF are having to fix 19 units in Besançon, after cracks were found in the bodies in 2017

According to wikipedia, all 3 are the same issue, cracks in the bogie box area

A Norwegian operator withdrew all their CAF EMUs in June this year, after only 19 days in operation.

There's nearly 700 Urbos 3s out in the world, & ~10% are now out of service with cracking issues.
Are there likely to be more found, & how many more?

CAF are a sizeable manufacturer, but not very profitable, net income of €62 million (2014)
Dealing with these cracks, & presumably compensating operators, is going to be a big crack in their finances!

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Looks like the 74 and 79 are going to be rammed again. It will be interesting to see if NXWM reintroudce the 79A tram replacement service again

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
CAF are a sizeable manufacturer, but not very profitable, net income of €62 million (2014)
Dealing with these cracks, & presumably compensating operators, is going to be a big crack in their finances!
I think you might mean net profit.
Their 2021 first half report shows revenue of €1.4 billion, and an order backlog of €9.4 billion.
No mention of problematic contracts.
Título (Arial 44 pt, bold bottom-aligned) (caf.net)

The new Canberra metro also has the same type of Urbos tram as Sydney.

Nym

Established Member
Not just a CAF issue, there has been a long term stop unit in Croydon for some time with cracks around the bolster centre pin for the bogies, with concerns regarding the state of the rest of the fleet.

TRAX

Established Member
Not just a CAF issue, there has been a long term stop unit in Croydon for some time with cracks around the bolster centre pin for the bogies, with concerns regarding the state of the rest of the fleet.
On the Flexities or the Variobahns ?

XAM2175

Established Member
Reminds me of how several hundred Siemens Combinos had to be recalled for strengthening - I believe they'd used a railway load case for the fatigue calculations and it wasn't applicable to roof-mounted equipment on a tramway with tight curves.
Crucially though the Combino fault was only a serious problem on units that had run more than 120,000 km, so there wasn't a need for a prolonged whole-fleet stoppage like this.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Crucially though the Combino fault was only a serious problem on units that had run more than 120,000 km, so there wasn't a need for a prolonged whole-fleet stoppage like this.
The exact nature of the fault would determine the strategy to deal with it, and in particular whether the growth of cracks can be monitored and the length at which they become unsafe is understood, which is where they seem to be with the 80x fleet. However it's probably true that a problem emerging later will also be growing more slowly and therefore easier to manage without stopping a whole fleet.

XAM2175

Established Member
The exact nature of the fault would determine the strategy to deal with it, and in particular whether the growth of cracks can be monitored and the length at which they become unsafe is understood, which is where they seem to be with the 80x fleet.
Yes, I was in Melbourne at the time and I recall that there were a few days of service alterations while they went through and inspected all the Combino vehicles, but most were released back into normal use very quickly. Over the following months you gradually saw more and more of them with the internal reinforcements at the articulated ends of the car, which was the tell for the corrective modifications.

philosopher

Established Member
There's nearly 700 Urbos 3s out in the world, & ~10% are now out of service with cracking issues.
Are there likely to be more found, & how many more?

I can’t imagine too many operators are going to wanting to buy Urbos 3 trams now, which would further dent their finances.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Not good timing for this closure today (14th November) given the antics on the trains between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton following a low-speed derailment. A line block is still in place between Tipton and Wolverhampton and it looks to me as if trains are being turned back at Sandwell and Dudley using the reversing siding and crossover between there and Tipton.

Dave

Wolfie

Established Member
Luckily West Brom aren't at home again until the Friday night of 26/11 - if it's not fixed by then the already catastrophic traffic around the stadium will be biblical.
Given that they get crowds of two men and a dog l doubt that (l may be a tad biased lol). Sadly l also doubt, given what's been said with respect to Sydney, that the repairs will be done this year let alone within two/three weeks.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not the best time of year for the trams to go down, especially with Abellio running West Midlands Trains meaning passengers can't trust the railways to run (ie nothing towards Stourbridge Junction for an hour before a single 2 coach unit gets thrown out).

Central car park operators must be laughing at the extra revenue they will gain, unless passengers use the buses.

Dave W

Given that they get crowds of two men and a dog l doubt that (l may be a tad biased lol). Sadly l also doubt, given what's been said with respect to Sydney, that the repairs will be done this year let alone within two/three weeks.

Hmph. I should have known with that username!

The traffic around B71 has been appalling all season, this won't help. What will any replacement bus services do at full time, for example? Getting away from The Hawthorns can be a nightmare at the best of times (the right honourable Wolfie might suggest getting away is the best time of the nightmare ;))

duncanp

Established Member
Interesting that some MPs in Birmingham are trying to blame Andy Street, the (Conservative) Mayor of the West Midlands for the mess, saying he needs to "..get a grip..".

The contract to buy the CAF Urbos 3 trams from Spain was signed in 2012, which was, er, 5 years before Andy Street was first elected.

Wolfie

Established Member
Interesting that some MPs in Birmingham are trying to blame Andy Street, the (Conservative) Mayor of the West Midlands for the mess, saying he needs to "..get a grip..".

The contract to buy the CAF Urbos 3 trams from Spain was signed in 2012, which was, er, 5 years before Andy Street was first elected.
Let me guess.... said MPs represent the Labour party.... twas ever thus...

Wolfie

Established Member
Hmph. I should have known with that username!

The traffic around B71 has been appalling all season, this won't help. What will any replacement bus services do at full time, for example? Getting away from The Hawthorns can be a nightmare at the best of times (the right honourable Wolfie might suggest getting away is the best time of the nightmare ;))
Being serious, the Hawthorns is never the best place for transport and the tram being closed will make things much worse. I wouldn't be wholly surprised if rail services to The Hawthorns station are pulled that day too, as they would otherwise completely swamped.

Well it wasn't the MP for Birmingham Northfield (the only Conservative MP in Birmingham).
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.