• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Metro - full closure from Saturday 13 November 2021 (also Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
The gardener has visited and the grass has had a haircut. There are stop boards approx. half way down the platforms.

A hoarding has been erected on the platform next to the Hagley Road. The one outstanding job is to convert the current temporary pavement back into a traffic lane which will involved relevelling the carriageway (and possible drainage). The hoarding should allow this to be done after the Metro is open and pedestrians are re-routed through the station.

I would hope that there is provision for a bus stop on the Westbound Hagley Road next to the tram stop, both temporarily whilst the roadworks are being done, and permanently after they are finished.

People will want to transfer from tram to bus, and it will be useful for those who have been shopping in Morrisons.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wandacat

I would hope that there is provision for a bus stop on the Westbound Hagley Road next to the tram stop, both temporarily whilst the roadworks are being done, and permanently after they are finished.

People will want to transfer from tram to bus, and it will be useful for those who have been shopping in Morrisons.
Do we think that the end of the extension to Morrison’s at Five ways is envisaged as a temporary termination point.

It seems a strange permanent end of line stop. Another 1/2 mile along the Hagley Road would have serviced the numerous hotels that exist. (Although getting through to Morrison’s does mean that central cross city line has been completed)

An extension to Bearwood, Quinton and Halesowen (which has no train station) should surely be a next step.

As for changing modes of transport at Five Ways, I live in Quinton and catch a bus to Birmingham on the Hagley Road. I would not consider changing to the tram at Five ways for the last 5-10 minutes of my journey into the City centre.

duncanp

Established Member
There is a proposal to extend the line to Bearwood, but it is subject to funding being available, so it is anyone's guess what will happen.

As for interchange between tram and bus, it depends where in the city centre you are going to or starting from.

I would find it very useful to be able to get the tram from Corporation Street, New Street Station or Victoria Square to Edgbaston Village, and then transfer to a bus to go to Bearwood, where I live.

If you are going to or from the Colmore Row area, then it would be better to stay on the bus.

Sprinter107

Its taken them almost 4 years just to put track along Broad Street up to Five Ways, which is just around about a mile, so goodness knows how long it would take them to extend down the Hagley Road to Bearwood. The next generation of trams would probably be up and running by then.

P Binnersley

Its taken them almost 4 years just to put track along Broad Street up to Five Ways, which is just around about a mile, so goodness knows how long it would take them to extend down the Hagley Road to Bearwood. The next generation of trams would probably be up and running by then.

The current proposal is for "Sprint" bus rapid transit along the Hagley Road to Halesowen and Dudley as this is cheaper and quicker to deliver.

DannyMich2018

I agree!! It's absolutely pathetic how long it's taking.
It was back in 2012, ten years ago that work started on the city centre extension to Grand Central so 10 years to do 2 and a bit miles in total.

Mikw

i've been thinking about coming to Birmingham for a day to ride the trams - is it worth it?

Question for those who have done the same really.

Blinkbonny

I did something yesterday. Trams running between Wolves and Bull Street. Less frequent service was meaning more crowded trams. There's better days for it.

duncanp

Established Member
I'll prob leave it for a while then

You would be better waiting until the extension to Edgbaston Village is open, as you can then travel to the Brindley Place stop, walk along the canal and partake of some liquid refreshment in one of the canal side bars. Or possibly take a canal boat trip if that interests you.

As to when the extension is open, that is anyone's guess.

There is a chance it will be open in time for the Commonwealth Games in a month's time, but that depends on testing and commissioning of the extension and how many trams are available for service at that time.

Wolfie

Established Member
You would be better waiting until the extension to Edgbaston Village is open, as you can then travel to the Brindley Place stop, walk along the canal and partake of some liquid refreshment in one of the canal side bars. Or possibly take a canal boat trip if that interests you.

There is a chance it will be open in time for the Commonwealth Games in a month's time, but that depends on testing and commissioning of the extension and how many trams are available for service at that time.
Great call. It's been a while since l've been that way but there are some decent bars there and the canal is always good.

Mikw

Thanks, i'll do that i think.

duncanp

Established Member
The gardener has visited and the grass has had a haircut. There are stop boards approx. half way down the platforms.

A hoarding has been erected on the platform next to the Hagley Road. The one outstanding job is to convert the current temporary pavement back into a traffic lane which will involved relevelling the carriageway (and possible drainage). The hoarding should allow this to be done after the Metro is open and pedestrians are re-routed through the station.

Went shopping in Morrisons today and the barriers across the tracks at the entrance to the tram stop have bene removed.

The temporary bus stop on the Westbound Hagley Road has also been moved a bit further West, and to reach it, you now have to walk along the tram platform.

I do get the impression that the opening date is drawing ever nearer. They probably know the date they have in mind, but are reluctant to reveal it too far in advance in case of any last minute hold ups.

My guess is that the extension to Edgbaston Village will open at the same time as the restoration of services between Bull Street and Library, and that this will be shortly before the start of the Commonwealth Games.

wandacat

Road design causing problems at Edgbaston village.

duncanp

Established Member
Road design causing problems at Edgbaston village.

This isn't a "road design problem".

It is a new road layout to take account of the fact that the tram track emerge from the Five Ways underpass and have to cross the Westbound Hagley Road in order to access the Edgbaston Village terminus.

If you hit the raised kerb area, then you are driving without due care and attention.

Meanwhile, there is no service between Wednesbury and Birmingham today due to "overhead line problems".

The website says there is a "normal" 12 minute service operating between Wednesbury and Wolverhampton.

Er, a 12 minute frequency is not "normal" - it is only that because the trams are falling to pieces and are still being repaired.

PS.

Worth noting that Hagley Road has been closed overnight for the past few nights, and tonight as well, in order to paint white lines on the road.

So perhaps when this work is completed things will be a little clearer.

All in all, it is a sign that the opening of the extension is going to happen fairly soon.

Whats Happening?
Hagley Road between Five Ways Island and Vicarage Road will be closed for road white line painting

When

Wednesday 29th June - Friday 1st July
Each Night Overnight 23:00 - 05:30

Services affected & diversion route
NXWM X8, 9, X10, 12, 12A, 13, 13A and 126 from Birmingham

Diverted via Five Ways, Calthorpe Road, Westbourne Road, Harborne Road, Chad Road and Hagley Road then normal lines of route.

Second PS.

Further roadworks which could affect reopening of the tramway to Library, or opening of the extension to Edgbaston are as follows:-

Sounds as though they are trying to get everything ready in time for the Commonwealth Games.

Whats Happening?
Broad Street at Paradise Circus will be closed for crane dismantling and removal

When

02:00 Thursday 14th - 23:00 Tuesday 19th July

Services affected & diversion route
NXWM X8, 9, X10, 12, 12A, 13, 13A, 23, 24, 82 & 87

X8, 9, X10, 12, 12A, 13, 13A

Diverted via Broad Street, Oozells Way, Sheepscote Street, St Vincent Street, King Edwards Road, Cambridge Street, Paraside Circus then normal lines of route

23 and 24 Towards Birmingham Only
Diverted via Harborne Road, Islington Row Middleway, Tennant Street, Bishopgate Street, Bath Row, Holloway Head then normal lines of route

82 and 87 Towards Birmingham Only
Diverted via Paradise Circus, Cambridge Street, King Edwards Road, St Vincent Street, Sheepscote Street, Broad Street, Islington Row Middleway, Bath Row, Holloway Head, Smallbrook Queensway then normal lines

Last edited:

barbette165

I can't find any press release or news item publicising the opening of the line to Edgbaston, but there is a new timetable on tfwm.org.uk valid from this Sunday (17th July) showing the line fully open - but still with a 12 minute service interval.

duncanp

Established Member
I can't find any press release or news item publicising the opening of the line to Edgbaston, but there is a new timetable on tfwm.org.uk valid from this Sunday (17th July) showing the line fully open - but still with a 12 minute service interval.

It is on the West Midlands Metro website.

They had to get it done before the Commonwealth Games, and I think they have been working towards this target.

I presume they have been waiting to see how the repaired trams have been performing in service before committing to opening the extension and restoring service to Library.

Nevertheless a cause for celebration. :D:D:D

West Midlands Metro is set to launch the first passenger tram services to Edgbaston this Sunday (17th July).

The opening of phase two of the Birmingham Westside Metro extension takes the line along Broad Street to Hagley Road adding three stops along the way at Brindleyplace, Five Ways and the end of the line at Edgbaston Village.

Trams will also be calling at all stops in Birmingham city centre including Grand Central, restoring the convenient link to regional and national rail services and Library.

Launched in time for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, the extension will offer the many visitors arriving in the city over the next few weeks a convenient and frequent service to the many hotels, hospitality businesses and entertainment venues in the area.

Sophie Allison, Interim Managing Director of network operator, Midland Metro Limited, commented: “As we reach this significant milestone for the network, the Metro team would like to welcome customers back to the city centre stops whilst bringing tram services to Edgbaston for the first time.

“We would also like to thank customers for their patience as they awaited the return of trams to Grand Central and Library following the restoration of services between Wolverhampton and Bull Street a few weeks ago.

“This was made possible with the return to service of a number of trams following successful body panel replacement work. As this programme of work accelerates, even more trams will be re-joining the fleet, enabling us to increase service frequency across the network.”

From Sunday, trams will run every 12 to 15 minutes across the expanded system, with peak time frequency to increase as more trams become available for service following repair. Timetables and fare information is available here.

Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) and Safer Travel police officers will also be out on Broad Street to assist and advise people on road safety during the first weekend of tram operation next Friday and Saturday evenings (July 22 and 23), while teams from Metro will also be around throughout the week to support passengers using the service.

The Westside extension development has been led by TfWM, part of the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA), working with construction and design partner Midland Metro Alliance, operator Midland Metro Ltd and Birmingham City Council.

The new extension will support local businesses, vastly improving connectivity to the wider region, and Andy Street, Mayor of the West Midlands and WMCA chair, Cllr Ian Ward, WMCA portfolio holder for transport and leader of Birmingham City Council and local business leaders have all welcomed this weekend’s launch. To read more,

tspaul26

Established Member
They were running fairly frequent test teams last week, but there was no point reopening sooner because the route has been obstructed this week to enable a large crane to be removed.

duncanp

Established Member
They were running fairly frequent test teams last week, but there was no point reopening sooner because the route has been obstructed this week to enable a large crane to be removed.

According to TfWM, the bus diversions associated with the crane removal are supposed to last until the end of service on Tuesday 19th July.

Does that mean that the crane removal will be completed earlier, because I don't see how the tram can run but the buses can't?

P Binnersley

There was an item "Metro Affordability" on the West Midlands Combined Authority Board meeting today. Unfortunately it is in the "private" (commercially sensitive) part of the agenda so no details are available.

tspaul26

Established Member
According to TfWM, the bus diversions associated with the crane removal are supposed to last until the end of service on Tuesday 19th July.

Does that mean that the crane removal will be completed earlier, because I don't see how the tram can run but the buses can't?
The tram line is further away from the worksite.

However, I suspect it is more likely that the closure will persist for the trams as well and there is no tram service alert showing because, at the moment, the tram service is not being affected by the crane removal i.e. the trans aren’t running down there so they’re not (technically) disrupted.

duncanp

Established Member
All the signage is up at the new tram stops, and the digital displays are advertising the start of tram services to Edgbaston Village tomorrow.

Unbelievably, on the West Midlands Metro Facebook page, someone is complaining that they shouldn't be opening the extension in advance of restoring services to Library

And more importantly when are your services running to the library
1f914.png
??? Don't worry about the extension, worry about running a full service.

Hello, have you looked at the tram route map? :D:D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If anyone could provide an update as to what’s happening today that would be appreciated. :)

duncanp

Established Member
If anyone could provide an update as to what’s happening today that would be appreciated. :)

Here are some pictures - from the first day.

The first is at the Brindley Place stop, within staggering distance of the Wetherspoons pub (hic!) <D

The second is at the Edgbaston Village terminus.

The extension is open and running a service about every 10 - 12 minutes.

DSC02251.JPGDSC02252.JPG

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've also been for a ride on the new extension today - seems to be running well. Hopefully there'll be enough trams back in service by the start of the Commonwealth Games to run more frequently than every 12 minutes though - a couple of services today have felt quite cosy even with just 'regular' passenger levels!

(They do need an 'alight here for the Utilita Arena' announcement/signage at Brindleyplace though - its a much easier walk than from Library and its not clear where's best currently)

duncanp

Established Member
I've also been for a ride on the new extension today - seems to be running well. Hopefully there'll be enough trams back in service by the start of the Commonwealth Games to run more frequently than every 12 minutes though - a couple of services today have felt quite cosy even with just 'regular' passenger levels!

(They do need an 'alight here for the Utilita Arena' announcement/signage at Brindleyplace though - its a much easier walk than from Library and its not clear where's best currently)

I think they are introducing extra trams into service when available, without officially altering the timetable.

My first photo above shows a 10 minute interval between trams at Brindley Place.

Until a full service is operating, I think most trams terminating at Edgbaston Village are using the track nearest to the Hagley Road (see my second photo), which provides a very convenient interchange with onward bus services.

They are going to have tram staff and police on Broad Street next weekend to assist sozzled "revellers" who may be unfamiliar with the fact that trams are now operating.

The last tram from Brindley Place into the city centre is around 00:30 Mondays - Fridays, 01:00 Saturdays and 00:00 Sundays, which is fairly reasonable.

Steddenm

Been on the new extension today and the guard was saying about Brindley Place on a Friday and Saturday night that Midland Metro have the option to terminate services at Library if there is too many people out and about (and drunk).

duncanp

Established Member
Been on the new extension today and the guard was saying about Brindley Place on a Friday and Saturday night that Midland Metro have the option to terminate services at Library if there is too many people out and about (and drunk).

It always used to be the case that buses would divert away from Broad Street after 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays, but they now serve Broad Street at all times after it reopened to traffic last month.

Whilst I can understand the potential need to terminate services at Library, it would be a pity if this happens too often, as a lot of money has been spent on the extension, one of the main purposes of which is to serve the entertainment facilities on Broad Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.