• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The NET extensions are mainly suburban, with large sections of ballasted track which is the cheapest type and unlikely to have many utilities to relocate. The street sections in Chilwell and Clifton are quite a small proportion of the total, and Meadows is a relatively recently-built (1970s) area so utility locations may be better understood than the 150+ years of accumulation in Birmingham.

The Birmingham extension is all on street or on structure, with all the extra problems created by a busy city centre including probably far more utilities to move. I wonder also if the figure includes the replacement of the existing tram fleet.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I wonder also if the figure includes the replacement of the existing tram fleet.
I suspect that this may be the key difference. The Midlands Metro may well include what amounts to the replacement of the entire fleet, whilst the NET cost may not include the additional trams at all.

baz52

Hi Nottingham city, yes your right in thinking ref the cost of midland metro, the whole figure include the new fleet of urbos3 trams 40m and also part rebuild of snow hill, which is having a brand new metro station and from st pauls to new street, new double track and metro stations at bull st, corporations st, and new st, plus the OHL system etc, then also the next phase to centenary sq but thats on the different cost plan! Hope that helps, theres some pics on scc construction section. baz

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think the real question is why has the extension cost £128 Million when the original line only cost £145 Million (approx £249 Million in today's money)?

baz52

Hi Mojo, well dont forget the original metro was built about 15 yrs ago I think, and also the costs of raw materials has increased as has the costs of labour, and alsi its not just an 1.7km exstention, if you look what we got , 1) 21 brand new urbos3 caf trams from spain , 2) a brand new tram depot plus the new track and sidings for that too, 3) every metro station along the route had to be made a bit bigger to take the new trams thats over about 23 stops aprox, 4) a part rebuild of snow hill station area brand new metro stops plus the excess to it, 5) brand new track into city centre which included lots of road works both cities at each end, 6) brand new OHL systems too, 7) 3 new metro stations as well in city centre, and of course any other work, so its more that just a new track, yes may seem a lot but worth it!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Hi Mojo, well dont forget the original metro was built about 15 yrs ago I think, and also the costs of raw materials has increased as has the costs of labour, and alsi its not just an 1.7km extension, if you look what we got , 1) 21 brand new urbos3 caf trams from spain , 2) a brand new tram depot plus the new track and sidings for that too, 3) every metro station along the route had to be made a bit bigger to take the new trams thats over about 23 stops aprox, 4) a part rebuild of snow hill station area brand new metro stops plus the excess to it, 5) brand new track into city centre which included lots of road works both cities at each end, 6) brand new OHL systems too, 7) 3 new metro stations as well in city centre, and of course any other work, so its more that just a new track, yes may seem a lot but worth it!

Looking only at infrastructural costs on a short line extension in a large city centre, how does the Midland Metro extension compare financially to the short Manchester Metrolink 2CC line with its solitary station of Exchange Square?

baz52

Well it says on the Manchester news website that the 2cc crossing costs 165m , and also quite a lot of the financial costs for the metrolink have come from the European fund, where as in birmingham it raised mainly local via the ita, (transport). But the point is not on cost but how good it will be for the good of the city, and also the metrolink is based on the old BR lines mainly with new lines too, which is good ,

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi Mojo, well dont forget the original metro was built about 15 yrs ago I think, and also the costs of raw materials has increased as has the costs of labour, and alsi its not just an 1.7km exstention, if you look what we got , 1) 21 brand new urbos3 caf trams from spain , 2) a brand new tram depot plus the new track and sidings for that too, 3) every metro station along the route had to be made a bit bigger to take the new trams thats over about 23 stops aprox, 4) a part rebuild of snow hill station area brand new metro stops plus the excess to it, 5) brand new track into city centre which included lots of road works both cities at each end, 6) brand new OHL systems too, 7) 3 new metro stations as well in city centre, and of course any other work, so its more that just a new track, yes may seem a lot but worth it!

And the original cost also bought all of those things - but many more of them! I have allowed for the increases in costs because I quoted the 1995 costs in 2014 prices. The fact is that the capital costs of new rail infrastructure (both light and heavy rail) has skyrocketed in recent years in Great Britain, yet governments seem to be happy to continue to plough money into it without really investigating why.

baz52

Hi Mojo, well I for one is very pleased to see all the investment both in metro and normal mainline , just look over the last few yrs how much is and has been invested in the rail network everything from new locos and new rolling stock and rail stations, and look how much the number of people using it has grown, that speaks volumes right, anyway im not into how much it costs just how much it benefits the city or region etc, capital investment , thats good for the country etc!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well very pleased to say that a tram completed a gauge test run a couple of nights ago, that went ok, now going to complete the OHL systems, full details and pics on the britsh trams online website (midland metro)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Tram number 35 has just been hauled into position at the new Bull Street tram stop by a Unimog.

Last edited:

baz52

The british trams online website been updated, with pics and news about the new city centre exstention , in birmingham , a very special day for my city.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not too much longer to wait it appears now, Bull Street was nearly finished and Corporation Street is nearly done too. Wires all up and just the stop to build at New Street before testing can be complete it seems. Can't see that happening until after the Christmas shopping season is over, far too busy in the city centre at the moment!

baz52

Work is progressing well, at Snow hill metro stop, the platform beginning to take shape and the paving work too, hopefully all being well trams should start to bull st metro stop this coming sunday dec 6th,

sprinterguy

Established Member
As of 15:20 today, tram number 35 was again on its' way towards Bull Street - but this time under its own power, on a gauging run (fitted with a polystyrene "collar"). So the wires are now live. :)

baz52

Thanks, yes I just been reading about the live tram test to bull st, realy good news hopefully they NWM will put some pics about it too,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The midland metro has had live tram tests to birmingham bull st today, running under own power.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fantastic news, only a matter of a few weeks to go now until we get trams to/from New Street, I can't wait to score new track on my turf again!

fgwrich

Established Member
Fantastic news, only a matter of a few weeks to go now until we get trams to/from New Street, I can't wait to score new track on my turf again!

think you may be waiting a little while for that Techniquest - When I was up there last weekend, and Bull Street - Corporation Street - Grand Central (New Street) has a little while to go yet. Corporation Street looked near to completion, but there was little sign of a Tram Stop actually outside ''Grand Central' yet other than the wires being up and the track being in the road. They'll have to remove some of the tarmac covering as well and a tarmac kerbside ramp as well.

But, At last! Not long to go now and it'll be great to finally see the Metro reaching outwards at last.

NWM has this to say on their website.

And here are a few pictures I took last weekend down near New Street / Grand Central - Sorry for appearing sideways, uploading from an IPhone and cant turn it!

Attachments

• BULLSTREETFLYER.png
    BULLSTREETFLYER.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

CromptonLad

Looking forward to this, it will hopefully be something the Birmingham city gets right.

Picky though, does anyone else find the pink livery garish?

baz52

A Great day for Midland Metro running into the city centre from today, sunday 6th December 2015

SS4

Established Member
I'll have to get a daytripper at some point and try it out although a plusbus should do just as well. Possibly in the new year now with all the extra traffic in town

johntea

Established Member
I'm just on a tram from West Bromwich to Bull Street, are you expected to buy your tickets on the tram or at stations? (I couldn't see anything obvious but the tram literally pulled up as I was walking to the station!)

There is a conductor on board but he doesn't seem particularly interested in flogging tickets!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm just on a tram from West Bromwich to Bull Street, are you expected to buy your tickets on the tram or at stations? (I couldn't see anything obvious but the tram literally pulled up as I was walking to the station!)

There is a conductor on board but he doesn't seem particularly interested in flogging tickets!

Yes there are some that will come immediatly to you, and then there are others that are really not that bothered.
Sam

johntea

Established Member
A bit different to Sheffield then where you're virtually guaranteed interaction with the conductor! :lol:

Really quick 10-15 minute trip from West Bromwich to Bull Street anyway, useful for me when I stop in Brum as the West Bromwich Premier Inn is usually miles cheaper than central!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the T&Cs posted on the stations mandate buying before you board.

dvboy

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the T&Cs posted on the stations mandate buying before you board.

There is no facility to buy before boarding at any Midland Metro stop, except JQ and Hawthorns but there is no obligation to. You buy your ticket from the conductor on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.