Midland Metro

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Class 172 Fan, 9 Jan 2015.

1. baz52

baz52 Member

yes your right sorry, I thought they had all gone now. looks like keeping that for some reason, thank you for letting me know.

2. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

I believe the original reason why they kept it was for ice breaking duties.
    Sam

3. baz52

baz52 Member

oh right I see thank you.

4. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

4th April Centro signed a deal with CAF to purchase batteries but they wont reveal how much they are paying for them as its 'commercially sensitive'.

5. baz52

baz52 Member

Midland Metro tram fleet 37 now in service as posted on the britishtramsonline website, it also says that only number 17 to be commissioned now,

6. HA25322

HA25322 Member

[​IMG]
    And here it is at the end of the line at Stephenson Street during testing tonight.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some photos from the testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: 24 Apr 2016
  7. baz52

baz52 Member

thank you for post those pictures ref midland metro tests, there is also more details about the tests and other metro news and also it says the trams should start going to new street from the 22nd may all being well.
    the website is britishtramsonline.co.uk
    anyway its realy good news.

8. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Fantastic to see the photos, I've been that caught up in everything I had forgotten the testing was due :oops:

22nd May eh? Bring it on, same for the construction of the new lines. Come on Birmingham, don't fall even further behind Manchester, let's have a tram network to be proud of too!

9. HA25322

HA25322 Member

I got up especially [emoji13] not. Just happened to be at work and noticed there was a 37 heading towards me. Spoke to one of the people in charge who was very hopeful of a 22/05 start so fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. baz52

baz52 Member

yes it great to see the Midland Metro progressing well in the tram test. and looking forward to may 22nd too.

11. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

The opening to New Street has been postponed and all arrangements for May 22nd cancelled. It seems there are still some track problems !!

12. TH172341

TH172341 Member

Thought they were too close to actually meeting a schedule deadline :lol:

At the conclusion of this saga there needs to be a review as to what's led to the successive delays in this project. To take upwards of 4 years to complete a 0.6 mile extension is a pretty poor endorsement for metro extensions. However I hope lessons can be rapidly learnt for the following extensions!!

13. Techniquest

According to the piece on Midlands Today last night, which I only watched part of, there was testing due to commence around 2300 last night. Assuming that went well, driver training was due to take a week. Who knows, maybe we'll have it running before half term. In 2017!

14. Robertj21a

Completely agree. The Edinburgh fiasco was bad enough but that, eventually, appeared to come down to very poor management of the project by the council. This extension has caused major problems in the city centre for years and will do absolutely nothing to help those supporting more light rail in the UK. There needs to be a proper enquiry to identify how the project was managed and why the timescale became so ridiculous.

15. Altfish

Altfish Member

OK, Edinburgh and Birmingham haven't gone smoothly but already Edinburgh is beating passenger targets and the Leigh extension is on the cards again.
    No mention of Manchester or Nottingham, I notice, perhaps because the extensions are going smoothly

16. Robertj21a

Nottingham was also significantly delayed.

It's not that any one specific extension may be relevant (other than to highlight project deficiencies) but more that the whole idea of the UK having the ability to create more light rail must give some of the 'anti' brigade so much amusement. What hope is there for any more significant light rail projects if such a high proportion of those completed in recent times had so many problems and delays ?

17. snowball

snowball Established Member

18. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

19. baz52

baz52 Member

hi all , ref to the midland metro yes it was a pitty about not starting this weekend the 22nd may, as been said regarding some track problems, also been on the local tv news about it to, anyway as they said the other shouldn't be to long before the trams run into the city centre, looks like been doing some work on the track regrinding I guess , some pics about it on another website, but hopefully in the next couple of weeks or so we should begin to see the tram run via city centre.

20. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

It appears that the Inspector's grounds for recommending refusal of this Order were very largely to do with impact on heritage structures. In view of recent events in Manchester, I guess the SoS is being quite courageous in seeking to overrule these.

21. CharlieSpotted

CharlieSpotted Member

I guess Midland Metro's acquisition of the battery technology from the tram manufacturers will help alleviate the environmental impact? (No overhead line equipment?)

The trams are actually running to New Street on driver training today, so I guess whatever work needed doing to the track was relatively minor and has been done.

Edit: Video here from the BBC's Peter Plisner on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BBCPeterPlisner/status/734757867669049345

In other Metro news:

http://birminghamupdates.com/post/144807795188/prince-of-darkness-ozzy-osborne-to-get-a-metro

Because nothing's more rock and roll than a pink tram. <D

Last edited: 23 May 2016
  22. Mojo

Mojo Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

23. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

My ears!
    Sam

24. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

I hope it opens this coming weekend, as driver training has begun:

http://nxbus.co.uk/the-metro/news/ozzy-osborne-to-name-midland-metro-tram/

I wonder if someone had to explain to Ozzy what a tram was :lol:

25. baz52

baz52 Member

yes Great to see driver training on the Midland Metro starting yesterday in the city centre, also they say they have to do 7 days training in the city centre, before can start the service to and from New Street. there was also an item about it on the local tv news last night too,

26. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

First trams run on Monday

http://nxbus.co.uk/the-metro/news/a...ew-timetable-coming-from-monday-30th-may-2016

27. theshillito

theshillito Member

28. childwallblues

childwallblues Established Member

Tram 21 was the driver trainer at 1445.

29. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Give it a few years and it will probably change over to a Nottingham/Edinburgh style buy before you board system

30. Techniquest

Does that debit card payment thing start now then? If so it's about time, and maybe Blackpool will also catch up eventually. I've not read the link Kite posted yet, but I am jealous that he'll get it done before I do. Seems to have a habit of doing that, any new track in my local area he gets before I do!