Midland Metro

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Class 172 Fan, 9 Jan 2015.

1. CharlieSpotted

CharlieSpotted Member

2. Robertj21a

Robertj21a Established Member

3. martinr1

martinr1 Member

4. Smethwickian

Smethwickian Member

First public tram from Grand Central (Stephenson Street) at 8am today.

Attached Files:

5. tnxrail

tnxrail Member

6. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

Seemed well used today

7. baz52

baz52 Member

Great to see the Midland Metro running to city centre proper now, and thanks tnxrail, a Great video of the trams many thanks,

8. sonic2009

sonic2009 Established Member

I noticed that they reverse just past New Street? Can they not turn back in the platform?

9. mikestone1952

mikestone1952 Member

There is a crossover to do that, and given the gradients I am rather surprised they don't use it.
    ;
    When I was there two "conductors" were promoting the fact that cards can now be used for payment and selling tickets to card holders, but with their usual acumen the conductor on the tram had only done half the tram by the time I got off at Jewellery Quarter.
    ;
    Snow Hill was announced as a stop on the outward run, although it isn't open, but not coming back.

10. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

I also went up for it today, hopefully people in the city learn to get out of the way of trams eventually!

Hopefully Snow Hill's stop opens soon, the fact it's not today is just madness!

11. Heartland

Heartland Member

The Metro to Birmingham New Street station is open at last! Following a period of driver training when trams made regular trips over the metals. Shelters for the passengers are only provided on the outward journey at the Grand Central and Corporation Street stops. I suppose that will change with the extension to Broad Street. At Snow Hill there is no link between the tram stop and the platform. Is this intended now or will platform 4 be fully reinstated for main line use?

Last edited: 30 May 2016
  12. Techniquest

Platform 4 is eventually to be return to mainline use apparently, which will no doubt make things easier to path and more service options at Snow Hill when it gets done.

Surprised at the lack of link at Snow Hill between mainline and tram, maybe it's coming soon?

13. Smethwickian

Smethwickian Member

A new Snow Hill stop on the east side of the main line station, somewhat nearer that station's Livery Street exit stairs than the Colmore Row frontage, is currently being completed.

14. CharlieSpotted

CharlieSpotted Member

The Snow Hill situation is very confusing, but apparently it (the new stop referred to above, presumably) is now open:

https://twitter.com/MidlandMetro/status/737548706610741248

15. Techniquest

Excellent, a new one for me to go after next time I'm in the Midlands then!

16. theshillito

theshillito Member

Can confirm card payment (both contactless and otherwise) is now in operation. Bought a £5 day ticket with my card.

17. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

18. CharlieSpotted

CharlieSpotted Member

You're not far off... 2019, with the new railway station.

19. baz52

baz52 Member

Very good news for Wolverhampton city centre, also good new for the exstention to centenary sq too, anyway when it opens in 2019 , be realy good for both cities.

20. Heartland

Heartland Member

It will be interesting to see where the extensions will next start. Whilst Paradise Circus is a building site it is hard for cars and pedestrians to make it past the Town Hall, the only successful vehicles to negotiate here are the cyclists and some of these care nothing for anybody or any other in their way.

This leaves the extension to Digbeth or the new extension just announced for Wolverhampton

Meanwhile the Trams are running regularly to Grand Central, it is so important that this service has finally happened.

21. Heartland

Heartland Member

The contractors who built the Metro to New Street station have work to do as it has still not been finished. Work is on going at the Snow Hill station stop and it is difficult to see when this will be completed. Meanwhile for the three weekends starting 30th July, the trams terminate at Snow Hill as contractors repair section of track on the route to Bull Street and Corporation Street. With the route only being open for a short time, concerns must be raised as to how the track was laid. In fact the lengthy period of construction for such a short length must also be a matter of concern considering how quickly the 2nd crossing in Manchester has been made.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2016
  22. snowball

snowball Established Member

23. mikestone1952

mikestone1952 Member

removed

Last edited: 5 Oct 2016
  24. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

It seems to be a positive week for the Midland Metro with not one but 2 extensions talked about at last, as well as the current extensions southwards and northwards on the main route.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...cross-the-black-country-will-begin-next-year/

Which comes atop of the news of:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...stone-for-137m-birmingham-hs2-tram-extension/

Last edited: 7 Oct 2016
  25. Techniquest

Some fantastic news there, most especially on the extension to Brierley Hill! That has been proposed for so long I honestly thought it would never happen.

26. HA25322

HA25322 Member

And there is further good news in that number 17 tram is now out and about on passenger services finally.

27. childwallblues

childwallblues Established Member

Saw 17 at Grand Central on Friday. Did not realise that it had not been in service before.

28. Techniquest

It's about time it got into passenger service! Hopefully it'll produce when I'm next up that way, anticipated to be in early November.

29. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

Good news! Finally, the South Staffs trackbed will be in use again (well, part of it and correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe this is the plan.)