• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just looked at the table and by cripes, I'm 32nd! Granted, Wednesday's rather splendid bit of mileage (333 miles for £21.60 isn't bad going, if I was focusing purely on mileage however I could probably do better) isn't included yet but I'm still something like 25th with that as well. I have to say I was shocked when I saw that, and the amount of people in this year's competition is massive at 56!

*Dreams of being in the top ten this year have been shattered, to be replaced by dreams of finishing in the top 25*

Good thing I'm out tomorrow, although where I'm going I don't know for sure. A third WMDR for the year so far seems likely though, and I predict lots of Crewe to Wolverhampton/Birmingham moves to bump the mileage up! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I'm slowly improving, but after a dreary 130 in Wales yesterday the term "slowly" is correct! I have a similar total coming on Wednesday.

Someone called N Levers appears to be spamming the table or something?

9999999? yeah right!

That'll be this guy. Nice to be able to identify the culprit for once.

Based on a time of 16:00 on February 26th, he has averaged roughly 7,350mph - almost 9¾ times the speed of sound.

Rich_D3167

Now up to 470 miles, 52 chains, thanks to a combination of 144002, 144013, 153302, 153310, 153383, & kettles 5199 & 45379 this weekend. :D

noddy1878

Established Member
I am now up to 7504 after a North East rover last week. Managed to do 2525 miles (including getting there from Plymouth and back to Tiverton Parkway). Had a great 4 days scratching off loads of track and completing several classes of units for sight. Nothing planned for March at the moment (can't find any good deals!).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Did an Oxfordshire Day Ranger yesterday, which was disappointing because I only got one winner pretty much right at the end of the day, but which got me 8 new shacks for the Baker and achieved a couple of other little bits I was well pleased with. Full details coming up in a bit in the trip report.

Mileage now 2,095 so a nice improvement and now well on track for my 20,000 miles target :D

EDIT: Taking out N Levers, I'm 19th now. A fair bit better than previously, and my monthly mileage of 1,179 miles is not bad for a part time basher in February. Going to take some doing to get a higher rank though!

Last edited:

chris89

Established Member
Did 697 miles over the weekend.

Up and down from Wolverhampton - Edinburgh Waverly (Fri and Mon)
Normal 334 to Armadale and back to Edinburgh on the Fri and Mon

The 92 miles between Armadale and Glasgow Queen Street and the few odd mile or so between Central Low level and Exhibiton center

Chris

Bashing in Ireland & Scotland is the reason why ive just shot up about 3000. Good 2 weeks off.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Where did you get your Irish mileage from? I'll be needing RoI mileage after my trip there in about a month's time, can't wait for that!

Where did you get your Irish mileage from? I'll be needing RoI mileage after my trip there in about a month's time, can't wait for that!

I got it from the Irish Quail Map. You will do well to find one at the moment, but I heard there maybe an updated due out this year.

PM me if you need anything.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I got it from the Irish Quail Map. You will do well to find one at the moment, but I heard there maybe an updated due out this year.

PM me if you need anything.

Ah,hopefully it will come out this year.Been a long time since that one was released,still waiting for the new book 4 too!

Details of my trip will be discussed at length in early April when I get back from it,so milege details will be sought then.Had two sources willing to supply the gen,most handy!

redthunder

Well next is gonna be Devon & Cornwall and maybe Dorset etc :) :), 150's, 43's, 143's, 153's but as always will be avoiding the 220's and 221's wherever possible :P :P

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I have to say the Budapest-Bucharest sleeper last night was very nice, if a bit empty. I paid for a berth in a 3 person compartment and got it all to my self :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have to say the Budapest-Bucharest sleeper last night was very nice, if a bit empty. I paid for a berth in a 3 person compartment and got it all to my self :)

After yesterday's rather rateable bash on the East Lancs, my first ever visit at that, my mileage has gone up quite nicely to 2,407. Nothing much lined up for this month until my big trip to Ireland on the 29th March to 2nd April. Expecting to do something before then, but it won't be anything that exciting.

Rich_D3167

Another whopping mileage day, 8 miles & 30 chains added today! Took the car in for a service, so came home by train & went back to collect the car by train. Now up to 479 miles & 2 chains. Bit more to add at the weekend with a railtour.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An I exam finished earlier than expected yesterday, so when I remembered the 1540 off Hereford was booked for a 150 I put my best foot forward and got to the station pronto for a short bash. It was longer than planned and resulted in me scooping another Wetherspoon for a meal break, but a decent bit of mileage and a fair bit more than planned. I'd expected no more than 75 or so for my £10.30 fare, but got 100 miles and 26 chains in. Pretty good for the fare, the mileage being a little short of a third of what I got on Saturday but £65 less! Scooped two more 172s in, although still need one more for sight, and the things still grate on my nerves...

2,508 miles and 8 chains or so for me now, and boy ain't my March 2012 mileage thrashing my March 2011 mileage!

Ivo

Established Member
An I exam finished earlier than expected yesterday, so when I remembered the 1540 off Hereford was booked for a 150 I put my best foot forward and got to the station pronto for a short bash. It was longer than planned and resulted in me scooping another Wetherspoon for a meal break, but a decent bit of mileage and a fair bit more than planned. I'd expected no more than 75 or so for my £10.30 fare, but got 100 miles and 26 chains in. Pretty good for the fare, the mileage being a little short of a third of what I got on Saturday but £65 less! Scooped two more 172s in, although still need one more for sight, and the things still grate on my nerves...

2,508 miles and 8 chains or so for me now, and boy ain't my March 2012 mileage thrashing my March 2011 mileage!

I shan't be beating you this year either :( Apart from a couple of minor things, such as the Newport to Ebbw Vale diversion later this month and hopefully Gerald to at least Abergavenny next week, I've got nothing concrete planned until next month - but I'd like to think that I can manage the best part of 2,000 during the Easter holiday :p (Southend, Carlisle, London x times, hopefully Leeds)

Like the sig User title ;)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Bucharest to Sofia overnight on Saturday, no sleeping coach :( however I've got a first class single for 40 quid :) (over 10 hours)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ivo:1008298 said:
Like the sig User title ;)

Ta,changed it to reflect the fact I spend all my commuting on Optare products.We've got a non-Optare machine now too mind,still not penned it in yet.

Crossover

Established Member
Well, I was partly organised on my London journey on Monday and got all the journeys to date transferred into Excel on the trip down to the capital. Adding the mileages took a bit of a beating though thanks to this, and ending up off the train with completely free WiFi as early as Grantham, so that will follow.

Nonetheless, added a few more miles as a result of the trip, albeit using different lines to what I had originally planned/hoped for.

What I have noticed though, is that before Monday, I had only had four days out on trains this year (i.e. four days in which I had taken any trips by train, not necessarily full days out) and 185104 had shown up on two of those occasions.
Mondays' jaunt saw the four turn into a five and, thanks to my final train of the day, saw the two turn into a three! I think I have a stalker!!! (this was in addition to one of my stalkers from last summer, 220030, working one of my first moves of the day to Sheffield :shock:)

Rich_D3167

A trip to Cleethorpes to let the dog have a run on the beach today has added a further 13 miles & 12 chains, bringing my total up to 492 miles & 14 chains. Nice little bonus, making the most of a nice morning. :)

Crossover

Established Member
Just a thought. Do airport transit services count for mileage ? If so, can anyone gives mileages for Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow (T5) ?

Interesting one. I never added the trips I did on the Skylink at Birmingham Airport last year, not they would have amounted to much anyway :P

I see no reason why not though, if they are rail based

Status
Not open for further replies.