• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mileage between 1st January 2013 and 31st December 2013 (incl.) only. Mileage for leisure or commuting purposes only.

RailMiles Mileage Engine (RMME) - NR, LU, NET; Mileages present for other systems but incomplete
Light Rail Distance Charts - contains all missing mileages not in railmiles (measurements in metres)
DLR Stratford International Branch - thanks to TheJRB
Midland Metro (and here) - thanks to 45041 and MattE2010
LOROL - Surrey Quays to Queens Road Peckham - thanks to TheJRB
Chains to miles
Milepost data - requires some maths
Mileage for preserved lines

Mileage covered on all railways counts towards your total, including heritage lines, foreign mileage, trams, light rail and LU - providing you can find accurate mileage data.

Click here for 2013 mileage league table

You can enter your mileage total here, towards the bottom of the page.

Please note that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and disqualification from this year's competition immediately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was on a train between two stations at midnight last night! But thought I probably should wait until my first journey after midnight actually started, so I started off with Warren Street - Oxford Circus at about 00.20.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I was on a train between two stations at midnight last night! But thought I probably should wait until my first journey after midnight actually started, so I started off with Warren Street - Oxford Circus at about 00.20.

Fair enough :smile: Just seemed a suspicious number ;)

Haydn1971

Established Member
Out of interest, how would I find out the miles between two stations ? Are there any mileage charts ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Use the links in Mojo's OP - the most helpful one is RMME - enter the start and endpoints there (and via points to force it one specific way if needed), and a complete route and mileage will appear.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Foolish me :-/

Thanks, didn't completely take that bit in. ;)

OK, next question, do people round to the nearest mile or get a bit shirty about that and prefer entrants to add miles and chains ?

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Foolish me :-/

Thanks, didn't completely take that bit in. ;)

OK, next question, do people round to the nearest mile or get a bit shirty about that and prefer entrants to add miles and chains ?

You can only do miles to the nearest mile when you enter it onto the forum at the link above.

When adding them up in Excel, I take convert the chains into decimal so I can add up the mileage as a decimal number. All the bits added together can equal a reasonable amount :)

SS4

Established Member
If you're using excel you can use this code to generate the number of chains in decimal form. Obviously you should change F8:F61 to your own cells - they're the ones to store chains in.
Code:
=FLOOR(SUM(F8:F61)/80,1)+MOD(SUM(F8:F61),80)/80

In case you're wondering

Code:
FLOOR(SUM(F8:F61)/80,1)
means to find the sum of chains, divide by 80 (wolfram told me there were 80 chains in a mile) and round the answer down to the nearest whole number.

Code:
MOD(SUM(F8:F61),80)/80
calculates the remainder of the sum of the miles and adds it on (because the floor command above discounts the remainder)

If you're thinking this would be much easier with kilometres you'd be right! :lol:

Crossover

Established Member
If you're using excel you can use this code to generate the number of chains in decimal form. Obviously you should change F8:F61 to your own cells - they're the ones to store chains in.
Code:
=FLOOR(SUM(F8:F61)/80,1)+MOD(SUM(F8:F61),80)/80

In case you're wondering

Code:
FLOOR(SUM(F8:F61)/80,1)
means to find the sum of chains, divide by 80 (wolfram told me there were 80 chains in a mile) and round the answer down to the nearest whole number.

Code:
MOD(SUM(F8:F61),80)/80
calculates the remainder of the sum of the miles and adds it on (because the floor command above discounts the remainder)

If you're thinking this would be much easier with kilometres you'd be right! :lol:

Thanks for that. I have achieved something similar with this:

Code:
=I3+(0.0125*J3)

Where I3 is whole miles and J3 is the chains part of it

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On my spreadsheet I divide the number of chains by 80 to get a decimal, and add it to the number of whole miles.

When entering the actual mileage into the forum I always round down to get a whole mile.

Hopefully we'll move to sensible measurements soon and this will become a thing of the past :lol:

Crossover

Established Member
On my spreadsheet I divide the number of chains by 80 to get a decimal, and add it to the number of whole miles.

When entering the actual mileage into the forum I always round down to get a whole mile.

Hopefully we'll move to sensible measurements soon and this will become a thing of the past :lol:

Yeah - I have probably the more complex solution there and multiply the chains value by an 80th :P

Ivo

Established Member
I'm on 0.00 at the minute- no surprise there. Will have to see if I can actually take this through to the end unlike all the other years I've done this :p

By the way, there is was a spelling error in the thread title ;)

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not getting even a chain done until 26 January, as much as I'd love to, exams need to take priority! That said there's a slight chance I may one day get the train to or from college, but it ain't likely. But hey, ten-fourteen weeks off for summer will see that compensation is suitably dealt for January.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not getting even a chain done until 26 January, as much as I'd love to, exams need to take priority! That said there's a slight chance I may one day get the train to or from college, but it ain't likely. But hey, ten-fourteen weeks off for summer will see that compensation is suitably dealt for January.
I too have exams this month although I have the 'luxury' of travelling to school by train, so my mileage will creep up by 10 miles each day.

As an aside, I managed to get around 50 miles yesterday on a birthday outing to Birmingham.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's showing oddly for me also, in some random order as it isn't even in alphabetical order.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
lt isn't a random order; it was sorted in order of how people did on the 2012 Mileage competition. As this has confused a few people, then l've changed it.

SS4

Established Member
I'm on 0.00 at the minute- no surprise there. Will have to see if I can actually take this through to the end unlike all the other years I've done this :p

Same here, the closest I've come to any line is looking out the window at work :lol:

Trainfan344

Established Member
I went to a railway station today, Only to pick up a railcard leaflet

starrymarkb

Established Member
My next planned trip by rail is in May - so I'm going to be at the back for a while

class57basher

My first mileage should be sunday a short newton abbot-exeter hop and then a longer monday trip should move me up the chart

gavinjustice

I do that but then I times 80 by the decimal like 0.2*80 to work out the number of chains

Established Member
A lot of my travels are in kms which I convert to miles by multiplying the distance by 0.6214 and as a result I made up a "decimal chains" chart years ago which converts chains to a decimal so that I can add everything up easily on a spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.