• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I'd appreciate it - thanks. Hopefully the figure I've got will only be a chain or so out but I'll note it down in case railmiles doesn't return any time soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
samuelmorris:2030319 said:
I'd appreciate it - thanks. Hopefully the figure I've got will only be a chain or so out but I'll note it down in case railmiles doesn't return any time soon.

52 chains according to RailMiles, same as CallySleeper has given.

Crossover

Established Member
Many thanks to CallySleeper and (especially) Techniquest :D

That was about 3 months work that I had been a bit slack on - spent a little while more doing sums on a few bits and getting my spreadsheet up to date

Your wish is my (and RailMiles!) command:

"Route: East Croydon to City Thameslink 10mi 69ch - generated from your selection
East Croydon, Norwood Junction, Bromley Jn, Crystal Palace, Gipsy Hill, West Norwood, Tulse Hill, Herne Hill, Loughborough Junction, Elephant & Castle, London Blackfriars, City Thameslink"

Spot on - I said it was a convoluted route! We even arrived at E&C 7-8 mins early!

Carstairs to Motherwell (assuming direct up the WCML, which SR trains are not normally, 15m65c. If via Wishaw, which most SR trains are normally, 15m66c. Yes, a whole chain difference, to my surprise too!)

Yep - via Wishaw - hadn't noticed that!

Glasgow Central to Whifflet (you don't mention from High or Low Level! From HL it's 11m14c, from LL it's 10m67c)

It was High Level - pre running of the electrics on the line :)

Moorfields to Liverpool Central (0m60c - random note, there's a lot of 60c leaps in the UK!)

Think that's bad - just found a 6 chain (yes, 0.075 miles!) leap on Edinburgh Trams! (It was St Andrew Square to York Place before coming back on the same tram again)

Clapham Junction to Feltham (assuming direct routing, 10m74c)

If "direct routing" is via North Sheen, then yes

West Drayton to Ealing Broadway (7m41c - I should hope you were enjoying your 165s and 166s while you still can in the Thames Valley!)

Very much so - got to take First Class whilst one could do, too!

Selby to Stevenage (straight down the ECML, no deviations, 146m59c)

Straight down - it was the diversions on Hull Trains into St Pancras, but someone posted those elsewhere previously between Stevenage and STP (fortunate as the Up service involved no less than 3 reversals in the space of about 30 minutes!)

London Euston to Glasgow Central via Birmingham New Street (408m79c - you don't mention any other routing point, so I'm assuming no messing about in the Wolverhampton/Bescot area!)

Nice straight run - called at Sandwell and Dudley and then out via Penkridge. 36L into Glasgow too = £££ :D

Just remember me giving up almost an hour of my time to help you tonight, when I was going to spend time planning trips! I'm sure a tasty pint would go down beautifully...;)

It is very much appreciated - I started off the year quite organised but the last few weeks of 2014 were a bit chaotic and I got behind. Still - better than 2013's mileages which I was still updating well into Feb 2014!

Now - just one last favour to ask of someone, if I may...

Motherwell to Glasgow Central (Low Level) (you don't specify if you went straight up the WCML or not, which again most SR trains don't do (usually via Holytown or Airbles. Via Holytown, it's 15m40c. Via Airbles it's 13m67c)

It would appear it was neither!

This was the service I took - http://raildar.co.uk/timetable/journey?trainid=G51694&dt=2014-11-07

Motherwell
Mossend South Operating Jn
Mossend West Operating Jn
Bellshill
Uddingston Jn
Uddingston
Newton East Jn
Newton West Jn
Cambuslang
Rutherglen East Jn
Rutherglen Central Jn
Rutherglen
Dalmarnock
Bridgeton
Argyle Street
Glasgow Central Low Level
Anderston

Exhibition Centre Glasgow
East Jn
Partick

Could it be possible to do the mileage between Motherwell and Glasgow Central LL please? :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Many thanks to CallySleeper and (especially) Techniquest :D

No worries, but you do owe me either a) a favour or b) a pint ;)

Yep - via Wishaw - hadn't noticed that!

There we go then, just as well I have an enormously extensive knowledge of the UK railway! ;):lol:

It was High Level - pre running of the electrics on the line :)

Aye, hence my quoting both figures as I didn't know when the move was made :)

Think that's bad - just found a 6 chain (yes, 0.075 miles!) leap on Edinburgh Trams! (It was St Andrew Square to York Place before coming back on the same tram again)

Are you sure that's right?! I did York Place-St Andrews Square when I did the trams last year and my figure is much more than that! I quote the note on my RailMiles entry:

"Distance in metres = 430 metres, which is 0.267 miles. Rounding down is in effect on all these tram moves, so mileage will not be 100% correct, but will have no over-claiming!"

I took the metres measurement from the details on this forum (linked to in the first page of this thread), so I'm assuming it's correct. The conversion to mileage came from Google.

If "direct routing" is via North Sheen, then yes

Should be yes

Very much so - got to take First Class whilst one could do, too!

Good lad!

Straight down - it was the diversions on Hull Trains into St Pancras, but someone posted those elsewhere previously between Stevenage and STP (fortunate as the Up service involved no less than 3 reversals in the space of about 30 minutes!)

3 reversals, that's just madness!

Nice straight run - called at Sandwell and Dudley and then out via Penkridge. 36L into Glasgow too = £££ :D

Ching ching! Aye that's all good then, that's the route I had.

It is very much appreciated - I started off the year quite organised but the last few weeks of 2014 were a bit chaotic and I got behind. Still - better than 2013's mileages which I was still updating well into Feb 2014!

Fair games, Christmas time is chaotic for me too!

Now - just one last favour to ask of someone, if I may...

I suppose so ;)

It would appear it was neither!

This was the service I took - http://raildar.co.uk/timetable/journey?trainid=G51694&dt=2014-11-07

Motherwell
Mossend South Operating Jn
Mossend West Operating Jn
Bellshill
Uddingston Jn
Uddingston
Newton East Jn
Newton West Jn
Cambuslang
Rutherglen East Jn
Rutherglen Central Jn
Rutherglen
Dalmarnock
Bridgeton
Argyle Street
Glasgow Central Low Level
Anderston

Exhibition Centre Glasgow
East Jn
Partick

Could it be possible to do the mileage between Motherwell and Glasgow Central LL please? :)

Oh of course! 13m70c is your required answer!

Crossover

Established Member
No worries, but you do owe me either a) a favour or b) a pint ;)

I'm sure it will work out somehow - time to come on a meet again perhaps? :P

Are you sure that's right?! I did York Place-St Andrews Square when I did the trams last year and my figure is much more than that! I quote the note on my RailMiles entry:

"Distance in metres = 430 metres, which is 0.267 miles. Rounding down is in effect on all these tram moves, so mileage will not be 100% correct, but will have no over-claiming!"

I took the metres measurement from the details on this forum (linked to in the first page of this thread), so I'm assuming it's correct. The conversion to mileage came from Google.

Yeah - I fluffed that up a bit. Fixed now, giving me a whole 1/5 of a mile more for the year :P

3 reversals, that's just madness!

This is the route I have noted on my spreadsheet for the Up journey

ECML, Alexandra Palace, Harringay Reversing Siding, Flyover, Hornsey, Crouch End, West Hampstead Thameslink

Reversals were in the Reversing Siding, Hornsey and West Hampstead Thameslink!

Ching ching! Aye that's all good then, that's the route I had.

Better still when it was in First!

Oh of course! 13m70c is your required answer!

Thanks!

Katketty

I am interested in starting to record my mileage and with the start of the year not long past, now is the perfect opportunity to begin. I have only made two journeys this year one of which was a local ScotRail service which allowed me to pull the mileage off of RTT. However my second journey was a longer trip on Virgin and unfortunately RTT trains doesn't seem to give any mileage numbers for these services. I have attempted to follow the route using a track atlas and the RTT route info but this is a massive pain.

I have tried to access the RailMiles website but it constantly times out and I cannot access it. I am not too keen on paying for something before I can at least have a peek at what I would be purchasing. On top of this I would also end up recording the data in my own spreadsheet anyway. All I need is a way to calculate the actual mileage myself. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Have you details on the route taken? If so I could look up the mileage figures.

RailMiles is a good product that works, I've been a subscriber for a long time and would be lost without it now!

Good to see a lot of people deciding to take notes on their mileages and motive power travelled on this year! :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hopefully RailMiles will be back online at some point, I wouldn't mind paying to use if it meant it was available.

Katketty

Have you details on the route taken? If so I could look up the mileage figures.

RailMiles is a good product that works, I've been a subscriber for a long time and would be lost without it now!

Good to see a lot of people deciding to take notes on their mileages and motive power travelled on this year! :D

If you wouldn't mind looking it up then that would be very much appreciated! I just spent the last goodness knows how long with a track atlas and came up with a figure that I imagine will be terribly inaccurate so I shall certainly be looking into getting a Rail Miles subscription.

The journey was the 14:00 service from GLC to EUS (I was on from the start until WVH) on the 10th of January. The head code was 9M57 and the RTT page can be found here.

Does anyone know why RTT has mileage data for some services but not others? Thanks for the help!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Do you know which way you went? No report at Motherwell suggests to me that you diverted via Holytown instead, but I am not sure whether the time adds up.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you wouldn't mind looking it up then that would be very much appreciated! I just spent the last goodness knows how long with a track atlas and came up with a figure that I imagine will be terribly inaccurate so I shall certainly be looking into getting a Rail Miles subscription.

It takes a while to get used to the atlas, but once you know your stuff you'll wonder how you ever struggled!

The journey was the 14:00 service from GLC to EUS (I was on from the start until WVH) on the 10th of January. The head code was 9M57 and the RTT page can be found here.

Does anyone know why RTT has mileage data for some services but not others? Thanks for the help!

Can't help on the RTT thing, but the answer you're looking for is 283 miles, 16 chains, for Glasgow Central to Wolverhampton via the most direct route down the West Coast Main Line. The delay RTT lists in the Carluke area isn't enough to include a diversion via Holytown, so I would assume it was absolutely the direct route.

A RailMiles subscription, in my eyes, is definitely worth the money. I don't particularly recall the sum I paid for 12 months, but it wasn't an incredible amount.

In the meantime, if there's more journeys you require assistance with, let me know and I'll get it looked up. Oh, and for avoidance of doubt, when I say "the most direct route" for this journey, that means:

Glasgow Central (High Level) - Motherwell - Carstairs - Carlisle - Penrith - Oxenholme Lake District - Lancaster - Preston - Wigan North Western - Warrington Bank Quay - Crewe - Stafford - Penkridge - Wolverhampton

Hope this helps!

crehld

Established Member
Fortunately I managed to get all my mileages before railmiles went down. But I've only just got round to totting it all up. 5244 miles for me. No where near some people on here, but not bad considering I only started in April and I've only used the train when I've needed to get from A to B rather than seeking to cover as much track as I can.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
A reminder to do up your final calculations as the competition will be closing in seven days' time. The deadline for updating your mileage total will be midnight on Sunday 18th.

Is there a 2015 table?

Up and running.

Edit:

Any request for help with 2015 mileages should be posted in the 2015 thread.

Starmill

Veteran Member
- Manchester Piccadilly to Glasgow Central please :/

- Glasgow Queen St - Edinburgh via Falkirk High

- Edinbrugh to Edinbrugh via Glenrothes :D

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G91611/2015/01/12/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G98106/2015/01/12/advanced

And Crewe to Euston via Stoke, Stafford and Weedon please, like this http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P32161/2015/01/13

Might be here for some time without railmiles and it's via points.

Edit: From June, I appear to be missing Stratford > Pudding Mill Lane > Canary Wharf on the DLR post-realignment and new station. Thanks all.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are these 2015 mileages? I am sure I moved the original one to the relevant thread.

229m 39c via Eccles

- Glasgow Queen St - Edinburgh via Falkirk High

47m 23c

- Edinbrugh to Edinbrugh via Glenrothes :D

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G91611/2015/01/12/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G98106/2015/01/12/advanced

Might be here for some time without railmiles and it's via points.

62m 22c
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Edit: From June, I appear to be missing Stratford > Pudding Mill Lane > Canary Wharf on the DLR post-realignment and new station. Thanks all.

May be best to do a new FoI request.

Katketty

Hope this helps!

This was unbelievably helpful of you, thanks again! I'm not sure what happened around Motherwell though I know the overhead lines were down earlier on in the day. Rail Miles pricing does seem quite reasonable and it will hopefully give me consistency with my mileage figures. Using the atlas I came out at 288m 1ch for that journey which I feel could be a touch inaccurate.

coxy

Hi,

Would appreciate help with the following 2 journeys.

Farringdon to East Croydon, via Elephant & Castle, Loughborough Junction, Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Streatham Common, Norbury, Selhurst.

East Croydon to London Bridge, via Selhurst, Streatham Common, Tulse Hill, North Dulwich, Peckham Rye, Queens Road Peckham

Many thanks.
Coxy

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks bb21. Unfortunately it seems I am going to end up with this problem wherever I haven't taken the shortest route.

For example this one West Croydon to London Victoria http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W77096/2015/01/13/advanced thanks

I'm up to 27191 as at 4th Sep 2014. I'll continue tomorrow...

10m58c according to RM :)

bb21 appears to have got you covered on the others at least, I was fast asleep at the time of your query on the other lot! I have no gen on the DLR re-alignment, didn't know of any changes!
Hi,

Would appreciate help with the following 2 journeys.

Farringdon to East Croydon, via Elephant & Castle, Loughborough Junction, Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Streatham Common, Norbury, Selhurst.

11m51c

East Croydon to London Bridge, via Selhurst, Streatham Common, Tulse Hill, North Dulwich, Peckham Rye, Queens Road Peckham

Many thanks.
Coxy

Ah, I haven't had this diversion in years! Nostalgia alert...

11m79c
This was unbelievably helpful of you, thanks again! I'm not sure what happened around Motherwell though I know the overhead lines were down earlier on in the day. Rail Miles pricing does seem quite reasonable and it will hopefully give me consistency with my mileage figures. Using the atlas I came out at 288m 1ch for that journey which I feel could be a touch inaccurate.

No problem :)

You didn't come out far off the correct figure at least :)

coxy

10m58c according to RM :)

bb21 appears to have got you covered on the others at least, I was fast asleep at the time of your query on the other lot! I have no gen on the DLR re-alignment, didn't know of any changes!

11m51c

Ah, I haven't had this diversion in years! Nostalgia alert...

11m79c

No problem :)

You didn't come out far off the correct figure at least :)

Many thanks for the info Techniquest. Looking forward to reading your trips during the course of 2015.

Regards.
Coxy

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You're welcome, and oh yes there will be some epic trip reports to go through later in the year! The next one will be from my Kent and Tyneside bash in early February (details of which are on my trip reports thread), that one will take a lot to produce! <D

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Does anyone know the mileage from Coventry-Crewe via New Street and back?

Thanks!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If via Wolves rather than Bescot then it is 71m 49c.

Status
Not open for further replies.