• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm about to start work on processing my journeys from last week's London bash, the women of the house have Vera on for 2 hours so I might as well get on with it! Earphones in, tunes on, let's do this!

Of course, I still have gaps in my data from my moves in the North East...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Until my moves around the Middlesborough area in February get some mileage data, I can now reveal, after around 2.5 hours of adding all my moves from the recent 3 day London bash (which takes up nearly 5 sides of A4, just to give you an idea of how much I did!), that I currently reside on 3,284 miles for 2015 so far! :D

I came less than 8 miles from clearing the magical thou in March, and I'm also ahead so far of my alternative goal for 2015, hitting an average of 1,000 miles per month. Very pleased with that, although it does look like April's going to be a fairly low mileage month. We'll see though ;)

For anyone curious, this is what I've done so far this year: http://techniquest.railmiles.org/

I'm also 7th as things stand on the table, so I'm holding my own in the Top 10 for now! That is until everyone gets on with updating their figures! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
I'm about to start work on processing my journeys from last week's London bash, the women of the house have Vera on for 2 hours so I might as well get on with it! Earphones in, tunes on, let's do this!

Of course, I still have gaps in my data from my moves in the North East...
Until my moves around the Middlesborough area in February get some mileage data, I can now reveal, after around 2.5 hours of adding all my moves from the recent 3 day London bash (which takes up nearly 5 sides of A4, just to give you an idea of how much I did!), that I currently reside on 3,284 miles for 2015 so far! :D

I came less than 8 miles from clearing the magical thou in March, and I'm also ahead so far of my alternative goal for 2015, hitting an average of 1,000 miles per month. Very pleased with that, although it does look like April's going to be a fairly low mileage month. We'll see though ;)

For anyone curious, this is what I've done so far this year: http://techniquest.railmiles.org/

I'm also 7th as things stand on the table, so I'm holding my own in the Top 10 for now! That is until everyone gets on with updating their figures! :lol:

Until Saturday I hadn't entered anything into my mileage list since 10 March! :o I've since written the numbers in, but the rest need to be done still. There also seems to be the mystery of a couple of missing journeys that haven't been written down anywhere :( definitely know I got 465906+466004, going to have to look at my Oyster history to find a possible date.
Meanwhile, am I the only person who can't load the mileage league table? :?

jnjkerbin

I think this page may be of use to you

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Brilliant, my many thanks for the link! :D I'm assuming that's in miles and chains, if not please do advise.

The relevant journeys now updated, I am now on 3,287 for 2015 so far :D With next week's Great Escape bash, I should be heading well towards 3,500 miles :D

Just waiting to see when I can get some holiday time booked, then my figures should start flying up! <D

samuelmorris

Established Member
Now that my 70+ hour weeks are finally drawing to a close and I'm starting to get my evenings and weekends back, I have about 2 months of mileage to do! <gulp>

Kite159

Veteran Member
Spending a couple hours on Sunday working out 2 and bit months of mileage from RTT, hitting a few brick walls with lack of distances for certain services (is London Bridge top secret information, also why milage data for Dalston Junction terminators for the ELL but not the Highbury terminators), currently on ~ 8696 excluding a couple big trips [Euston to Glasgow via Birmingham, Bristol Temple to Paddington via Banbury]

dcd

I have it on good authority that Railmiles Engine will be back within the next 2 weeks. I.e. Before the end of April

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I hope so, bb21 and Kite159 have sent me a fair bit to look up for them. I will get it done soon guys, not a lot of time to myself at the moment but I aim to have data sent to you both by next week :) As I'm on a bash myself on Monday I won't have that day free to do so, but whatever I can do in the meantime will get to you on Sunday, then the following Sunday

samuelmorris

Established Member
Great news, I can't wait - given it's been so long I might put off my calculations until then - many thanks to the people in here who have been providing data to those requesting it during the downtime, very generous of you :)

D6975

Established Member
I wouldn't say most - it does for most short distance commuter services, but anything long-distance or cross-country, forget. Almost nothing for VTEC, VTWC or XC will show, or any long distance FGW services. I believe this is simply due to a coding error as you used to put the names RTT used into railmiles and get errors, but if you used the three letter station codes, it worked.

You're right they don't. I don't ever use it for long distance moves, because I've always done them before and already got the numbers. (I've got spreadsheet with 'common mileages' in it) It's mostly new shortish distances along 'new coverage' lines that I look up, so I always seem to get what I need from RTT.

High Dyke

Established Member
Hmm...must play catch-up and get the last month or so up to date. I do need some LUL mileages though, but need to check what i require.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I wasn't expecting to hit even 300 miles on Monday, so imagine my surprise when I finished adding my journeys this evening and discovered I got a total of 511 miles and 54 chains this week! :D

Now on a rather good going total of 3,798 miles for 2015 so far, very pleased about that! Monday's trip to Liverpool should push me over 4,000 miles quite easily :)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It displays fine for me (on Google Chrome) or do you mean it isn't updating?

hassaanhc

Established Member
It displays fine for me (on Google Chrome) or do you mean it isn't updating?

The page doesn't load at all, just stops loading and remains blank. Just worked on Firefox though, even if I wasn't logged in there :?. Hope it isn't anything to do with my choice of forum theme (I use the Chiltern Railways one) :idea:
Update: My theory was correct; It only works on the three default themes, none of the rest.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi, that is correct. The Mileage competition table only works on the default theme, but you can edit your Mileage competition entry in any theme.

Crossforth

Established Member
Okay, somewhere along the line, I have made a balls up of my mileage.
Can someone please tell me the following:

Leeds - Manchester Victoria via Huddersfield and Ashton Under Lyne
Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime Street via Newton Le Willows

Cheers

*EDIT*

*One thing I've just noticed is that RailMiles gives different mileage details to the sectional appendix. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Can't help there right now, but I can confirm I'm ahead of plan for 2015 thus far now. After today's trip, I'm on 4,078 miles which is a little over my target of an average of 1,000 miles per month this year. Just need to keep the rest of the year going this well!

I would update my position on the table, but I can't update the figure via the app. I'm way too tired to boot up my brother's PC tonight, so if you're just above me in the table currently expect me to overtake!

770 or so miles in April so far, not bad at all!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Okay, somewhere along the line, I have made a balls up of my mileage.
Can someone please tell me the following:

Leeds - Manchester Victoria via Huddersfield and Ashton Under Lyne
Manchester Victoria - Liverpool Lime Street via Newton Le Willows

Cheers

*EDIT*

*One thing I've just noticed is that RailMiles gives different mileage details to the sectional appendix. Has anyone else noticed this?

Man Vic to Liverpool via Newton is 31 miles, 50 chains

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
... and Leeds to Manchester Victoria is 42 miles 69 chains.

Crossforth

Established Member
Cheers for those guys. I'll update then after work later :)
Now on 5107 miles

Does anyone know the mileage from Manchester Victoria to Hebden Bridge?

crehld

Established Member
Does anyone know the mileage from Manchester Victoria to Hebden Bridge?
23m50ch according to Network Rail sectional appendix
*EDIT*

Yes this is the case. Before it went down I noticed railmiles was generally more generous but there really isn't much in it. I think this is because railmiles is based on timetabling data rather than the engineering data, but I could be wrong. The sectional appendix is arguably more accurate, but a bit of a faff to work with!

Crossforth

Established Member
23m50ch according to Network Rail sectional appendix

Yes this is the case. Before it went down I noticed railmiles was generally more generous but there really isn't much in it. I think this is because railmiles is based on timetabling data rather than the engineering data, but I could be wrong. The sectional appendix is arguably more accurate, but a bit of a faff to work with!

Cheers for that

Anyone know:

York to Dalington
Middlesbrough to Manchester Piccadilly
Cleethorpes to Barton-on-Humber
Barrow Haven to Barton-on-Humber

Cheers

Kite159

Veteran Member
Cleethorpes to Barton-On-Humber is 22 miles 49 chains :)
Middlesbrough to Piccadilly is 119 miles 6 chains
York to Darlington is 44 miles 10 chains

RTT gives up no clues to Barton On Humber to Barrow Haven :(

Last edited:

Crossforth

Established Member
Cleethorpes to Barton-On-Humber is 22 miles 49 chains :)
Middlesbrough to Piccadilly is 119 miles 6 chains
York to Darlington is 44 miles 10 chains

RTT gives up no clues to Barton On Humber to Barrow Haven :(

Thanks for your help there

Much appreciated

It takes my total up to 11505m 39ch... however, just over 6194 miles of that is work mileage so I'm actually on 5310m 60ch

Techniquest

Veteran Member
As of this morning's trip for 67023, I'm now on 4,302 miles for 2015. 302 miles ahead of the target, and May's looking a little lighter than April by the looks of things.

1,015 miles in April alone, which I'm very pleased with! I also see I'm 10th in the table so far, but as long as I finish in the top 20 I'll be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.