• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mileage between 1st January 2018 and 31st December 2018 (incl.) only. Travel for leisure or commuting purposes only. Mileage covered on all railways counts towards your total, including heritage lines, foreign mileage, trams, light rail and LU - providing you can find accurate mileage data.

You can enter your mileage total here, towards the bottom of the page.

Click here for 2018 mileage league table

Main Resouces

National Rail

RailMiles Mileage Engine (RMME)
IMPORTANT: You must examine the routing generated carefully to ensure that it is what you want. This new reincarnation of the mileage engine is still a beta version so contain a few errors. Report any discrepancies to site support. Reports posted on this forum is unlikely to be picked up for a while.

Light Rail

Light Rail Distance Charts (Metric Units)
Light Rail Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
Track and Distance Diagrams (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

London Underground

London Underground Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
(A spreadsheet has been created by dcd and attached as an Excel file below ugdist1.xlsx if you wish to avoid manually looking up charts - just copy values from Columns F and G into H and I for steps in the journey, total appears in J and K, and remember to clear contents from H and I before next journey.)​
TfL Distance Diagram (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

Supplementary Resources

DLR Stratford International Branch - thanks to TheJRB
Midland Metro (and here) - thanks to 45041 and MattE2010
London Overground - Surrey Quays to Queens Road Peckham - thanks to TheJRB
Burnley Manchester Road - Todmorden - thanks to crehld
Chains to miles
Milepost data - calculation required
Mileage for preserved lines
Selected RailMiles Mileage Engine Station Names - contains all LU, Croydon Tramlink and NET station names, and selected other awkward station names used in RailMiles - for reference only, not working with the new mileage engine
Recalibrated Milepost Data (work in progress)

Please note that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and immediate disqualification from this year's competition.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GW43125

Established Member
Out of interest, is there a railforums railmiles league?

[.n]

What are the rules for miles for rail replacement buses (e.g. today's SWR strike buses)

GW43125

Established Member
What are the rules for miles for rail replacement buses (e.g. today's SWR strike buses)

I personally count bus miles separately from rail miles (as railmiles does for me, in fact).

Established Member
I still haven't been on a train since October of last year, and I can't imagine I will be for a while because I prefer to drive to wherever I want to go at the moment, mainly for the sake of convenience if nothing else. Although to be honest, I am seriously considering giving the railways a miss altogether this year (simply because of a lack of time and money) and going out when more of the new trains for Northern and TPE have started to enter service.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I'm on an excitingly high 0! Doesn't help my current location is sans railway.

Established Member
As I'm currently signed off work I've decided to make the most of having the opportunity to go out on the rails again, so I'm going to have a few days out over the coming few weeks or so, depending on if I have enough money to do so. Target for this year has been set relatively low, 8,000 miles.

I'm aiming to try and track down the latest Northern arrivals which I need for a ride, which at the moment are three 150s, one 158 and five 319s. I'll probably start with the 319s and stay local, and then go further afield once I've got used to travelling on the rails again.

djpontrack

I'm currently on 457miles and 71chains, I've also got some Edinburgh tram mileage to add to that.
507021 if you are just going out on a Northern bash remember you can get a £10 Northern day ranger.

Established Member
I'm currently on 457miles and 71chains, I've also got some Edinburgh tram mileage to add to that.
507021 if you are just going out on a Northern bash remember you can get a £10 Northern day ranger.

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about those in all honesty, especially as my latter journeys of 2017 were all with East Midlands Trains. With the 319s, I may well just get a SaveAway, although I do fancy a trip to Manchester at some point to try and get some more MetroLink mileage at some point too.

PeterY

Established Member
261 so far this year. I did manage to do the Southminster branch yesterday.

Do people count trams and underground in their mileage totals? I don't count the underground or trams but count overground.

djpontrack

261 so far this year. I did manage to do the Southminster branch yesterday.

Do people count trams and underground in their mileage totals? I don't count the underground or trams but count overground.
I count underground and trams in my mileage totals.
If it’s a steel wheel on a steel rail I count it. I put it all on Railmiles.

TheNewNo2

288.34 miles in January.

Of interest, today the Jubilee Line became my 5th most used TOC on 1595.43 miles, overtaking GTR. It should overtake East Coast for #4 next Friday. It'll be about two years until it's challenging EMT for #3 though.

DanNCL

Established Member
I finished January on 648 miles 22 chains. That's about double the mileage I was expecting to do in January

Established Member
I got my first miles on the board yesterday, thanks to my first day out of 2018. It was fairly productive, with one winner. I might go out again tomorrow to try and get another winner or two, but I haven't decided yet.

I'm up to 37 miles so far this year, aiming for 500 by the end of the month.

Established Member
I'm now up to 137 miles after Wednesday's day out, I should add a good amount of mileage on Saturday too.

Established Member
Saturday's day out with djpontrack means I'm now up to 281 miles in 2018.

I've got a SaveAway day tomorrow and a trip to Manchester with my partner and daughter on Wednesday, so they should add a good amount of mileage to my total for the year so far.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hello everyone,

Because of the new forum software being totally different to what we used previously, the code I wrote several years ago in order to automatically generate a mileage league table stopped working. I'm pleased to say, that having paid someone to do the work and generate an add-on for us, the 2018 Mileage table is now here!

The eagle-eyed amongst you would have noticed the field has been there in your options page since the start of the year, and those who had already been entering it and keeping it up-to-date need to do nothing. For those of you who haven't seen it before you can find it in your account settings, on the 'Personal Details' page (direct link here).

Established Member
Thank you, Mojo!

After my impromptu Northern day ranger yesterday, I'm now up to 599 miles for the year. I'm hoping to get a few more in before the offer expires, time permitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.