• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mileage between 1st January 2019 and 31st December 2019 (inclusive) only. Travel for leisure or commuting purposes only. Mileage covered on all railways counts towards your total, including heritage lines, foreign mileage, trams, light rail and LU - providing you can find accurate mileage data.

Click here for 2019 mileage league table

Main Resources

National Rail

RailMiles Mileage Engine (RMME)

IMPORTANT: You must examine the routing generated carefully to ensure that it is what you want. This new reincarnation of the mileage engine is still a beta version so contain a few errors. Report any discrepancies to site support. Reports posted on this forum is unlikely to be picked up for a while.

Light Rail

Light Rail Distance Charts (Metric Units)
Light Rail Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
Track and Distance Diagrams (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

London Underground

London Underground Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
TfL Distance Diagram (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

Supplementary Resources

DLR Stratford International Branch - thanks to TheJRB
Midland Metro (and here) - thanks to 45041 and MidnightFlyer
London Overground - Surrey Quays to Queens Road Peckham - thanks to TheJRB
Burnley Manchester Road - Todmorden - thanks to crehld
Chains to miles
International Mileages - Can be a little fiddly to use but effectively you move the two pins to your origin and destination and it will calcualte the distance. You can add a via point pin to adjust the route.

Please note that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and immediate disqualification from this year's competition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
New to 2019 - RailMiles (at least the paid version) now includes more light rail. It has all Supertram stops on including Tram Train.

Paul’s

Hi, started to log my real journey’s. And register for 1 month. Any help would be helpful.

Woodsmoor to Hazel Grove. Distance 0.76 chains

Jozhua

Established Member
Hi, can I quickly ask what a chain/channel measurement is?
Somewhat confusing, I've been mostly rounding down my distance measurements to the nearest mile...

Crossover

Established Member
Hi, can I quickly ask what a chain/channel measurement is?
Somewhat confusing, I've been mostly rounding down my distance measurements to the nearest mile...

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but a chain is part of an imperial measurement as I recall. There are 80 chains in a mile. A straight forward example would therefore be that 0.25 miles equates to 20 chains. Hope this helps :)

Jozhua

Established Member
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but a chain is part of an imperial measurement as I recall. There are 80 chains in a mile. A straight forward example would therefore be that 0.25 miles equates to 20 chains. Hope this helps :)

Okay, great thanks!

Been trying out the convertor, adding the chains on has boosted my milage count by a reasonable amount! ;)

tgrb

Jeepers some of you do some miles!

How do I submit my mileage here?

Has anyone got a good template they use?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is a field on the Personal Details page of your user account. This link should take you there.

_toommm_

Established Member
Jeepers some of you do some miles!

How do I submit my mileage here?

Has anyone got a good template they use?

I use a website called RailMiles - you just fill in departure and arrival station, along with time of departure, and it calculates the mileage for me, along with filling in the headcode and operator data. All I then need to fill in is the unit/loco number(s).

It also updates actual arrival times too incase the service was late. The service is paid for, and its £4.99 per month, or £10.00 for three months IIRC. I've attached a screenshot of my week to show you what it looks like on RailMiles:

Screenshot_20190828-100726_Chrome.jpg

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We'll leave the competition open for a few more weeks to allow people to record their mileages but don't dawdle!

_toommm_

Established Member
Just over 31,000 for me this year. About a 6,000 drop over last year, but I've started uni so had nowhere near enough spare time.

Still commuting 50 miles to work two days a week helps the total though ;)

Jozhua

Established Member
6118.7 is my total according to the big ol spreadsheet.

Probably about average through the competition, maybe a tad more than your average uni student. Already racking up my 2020 miles... Above 100 already!

Hoping to score highly on international mileages this year, got some train trips planned in Canada and hoping to explore East Coast US more in summer.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
My total for 2019 is 12669 miles, which is a drop of 1671 compared with the 2018 total of 14340 miles. This is mainly attributed to me having not done much mileage in the last quarter of 2019 as I was looking after my partner who had became unwell. Also, due to the December 2019 General Election, my quarterly meetings that I attend in London for an organisation I am involved with had the meting rescheduled to mid January 2020.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Congratulations to @Kite159 with a very creditable score! You win the grand prize of vague bragging rights and kudos! Also a pat on the back to the top five in the competition who all broke through the 50,000 barrier for the year. We commend you and covet the free time that allows you to do this!

1 - Kite159 - 57521

2 - fishquinn - 55494

3 - 33056 - 55159

4 - ForsythA - 53820

5 - superalbs - 51068

Status
Not open for further replies.