• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mileage between 1st January 2020 and 31st December 2020 (inclusive) only. Travel for leisure or commuting purposes only. Mileage covered on all railways counts towards your total, including heritage lines, foreign mileage, trams, light rail and LU - providing you can find accurate mileage data.

Click here for 2020 mileage league table

To record you mileage please go to the Personal Details page of your user account and scroll to the bottom. Enter you 2020 mileage (in whole miles) in the relevant field. You can find the Personal Details page here.

Main Resources

National Rail

RailMiles Mileage Engine (RMME)
IMPORTANT: You must examine the routing generated carefully to ensure that it is what you want. This new reincarnation of the mileage engine may still contain a few errors. Report any discrepancies to site support. Reports posted on this forum is unlikely to be picked up for a while.

Light Rail

Light Rail Distance Charts (Metric Units)
Light Rail Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
Track and Distance Diagrams (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

London Underground

London Underground Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
TfL Distance Diagram (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

Supplementary Resources

DLR Stratford International Branch - thanks to TheJRB
Midland Metro (and here) - thanks to 45041 and MidnightFlyer
London Overground - Surrey Quays to Queens Road Peckham - thanks to TheJRB
Burnley Manchester Road - Todmorden - thanks to crehld
Chains to miles
International Mileages - Can be a little fiddly to use but effectively you move the two pins to your origin and destination and it will calculate the distance. You can add a via point pin to adjust the route.

Please note that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and immediate disqualification from this year's competition.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
Does anyone have the mileage details for the Sheffield to Rotherham Tram Train, mostly need the bit between Tinsley Meadowhall and Rotherham Central/Parkgate.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Mileage competition is temporarily offline - it will return shortly.

D6975

Established Member
I don't usually start doing trips until about March, so I can proudly say that my mileage for 2020 is zero and liable to stay that way for quite a while.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Generally I would aim for around 24,000 per year (obviously an average of 2,000 per months with considerably more when I do my ALRs but less in the winter). Don't think I'll be managing even half of that this year now!

43 302

Established Member
Would anyone here happen to know the mileage from Johannesburg Park to Cape Town please? Or any helpful resources. Cheers.

Jozhua

Established Member
1517 - compared to 6118 in 2019. So definitely a big reduction for me!

I'm hesitent to say if this will go up or down for me in 2021. I have a feeling it will go up a little bit, as I gain confidence in going out again.

I don't know if this is the thread for it - but it would be interesting to hear how other forum members 2020 results compare to previous years.

Still, it didn't go to zero - even after Coronavirus hit. I still needed to get around every so often and rail offered me that capability. When going home to see parents though, my dad gave me a lift to reduce risk. This, alongside doing far less overall trips back home, was a big contributor to my lower milage.

The Ham

Established Member
1517 - compared to 6118 in 2019. So definitely a big reduction for me!

I'm hesitent to say if this will go up or down for me in 2021. I have a feeling it will go up a little bit, as I gain confidence in going out again.

I don't know if this is the thread for it - but it would be interesting to hear how other forum members 2020 results compare to previous years.

Still, it didn't go to zero - even after Coronavirus hit. I still needed to get around every so often and rail offered me that capability. When going home to see parents though, my dad gave me a lift to reduce risk. This, alongside doing far less overall trips back home, was a big contributor to my lower milage.

Rail miles (other than London Underground, where I did a few late February) was zero in 2020, it's not uncommon for me to make 3 trips a year with millages of over 150 miles (often more and often with other rail travel as well probably ranging from 600 to 1,000 miles a year).

Yes I know that's a tiny amount compared to most, however as I walk to/from work and I'm mostly office based that's going to massively reduce my rail travel.

deltic14

Would anyone here happen to know the mileage from Johannesburg Park to Cape Town please? Or any helpful resources. Cheers.
Using google Earth I calculated it to be 943.5 miles. It took a long time to do and the accuracy from this is probably plus or minus 10 miles based on routes I've done and compared to official sources. Hope this helps...

I did almost the same amount of miles in 2020 - 10,615 compared to 10,412 in 2019. I must confess that a lot of that was in pacers..

PeterY

Established Member
Well 2020 was a total dissapointment for rail miles. A whopping total of 872 miles and 99% of that was before lockdown in March.

43 302

Established Member
Using google Earth I calculated it to be 943.5 miles. It took a long time to do and the accuracy from this is probably plus or minus 10 miles based on routes I've done and compared to official sources. Hope this helps...

I did almost the same amount of miles in 2020 - 10,615 compared to 10,412 in 2019. I must confess that a lot of that was in pacers..
That is very helpful thank you.

My mileage for 2020 was 18,847.5 miles.

Jozhua

Established Member
That is very helpful thank you.

My mileage for 2020 was 18,847.5 miles.

25142 miles for me, down from 57521 miles in 2019.
How do you guys get so many miles! Long Distance commuting/business?

To be fair, I should have done the challenge while I was still commuting, I might have done quite well!

Kite159

Veteran Member

To be fair, I should have done the challenge while I was still commuting, I might have done quite well!

All for leisure.

My August/September/October was busy with a few long distance trips making use of cheaper hotels

43 302

Established Member

Irregular short and long distance commuting plus lots of leisure travel. Interestingly google maps told me that my total distance travelled by all forms of public transport in 2020 was just under 15000. Shows how inaccurate it is considering I have almost 19000 just from rail!

Jozhua

Established Member
Oh nice! I thought I travelled by rail a lot, but clearly I have rookie numbers compared to your guys!

I don't travel that much more than average though, just I tend to use rail for most of my long distance journeys.

The Ham

Established Member

You don't need to be doing very long distance commuting to rack up the miles, only slightly more than 10 miles each way gets you 5,000 miles a year. Given the speeds rail travel at even doing 30 miles each way could be a 30 to 40 minutes commute.

However likewise due to the location of other parts of my family a single one way trip can rack up 200 miles, if I do that 5 times a year (which is fairly low, although very high compared to the zero times I did it last year) then that's 1,000 miles.

Using the tube when visiting London can rack up quite a few miles in a day.

Even going 20 miles each weekend would get you about 1,000 miles.

As such it doesn't really take all that much effort to get some fairly high mileage rates. It would be interesting to compare against what some drivers manage whilst at work, as I would expect that they would be fairly high as well.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just an update on the Mileage competition,
since we did a forum upgrade a few months ago, the league table does not work (as expected).

A developer has been appointed to construct a new plugin for the Mileage competition, and we expect this to be done soon.

Please continue to input your 2020 mileage into the same place as before, even though it’s not visible to other members, it will still be saved, and when the league table is back online it will go onto that table automatically.

Once we’re all back & running then the 2021 field and table will be launched.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.