• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage data question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
On the mileage competition page, there is a link to this:

Milepost data (requires some maths)

which goes here: http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~butler/miles1.lst

Does anyone know where the data comes from and its accuracy?
Sorry, no. My computer tells me that I downloaded it from there on 07/01/2008, so it's not bang up-to-date. In addition some entries appear to be fiction, for example the final one claiming that Birmingham New Street - Birmingham Snow Hill is 0 miles 1 chain.

In section 336, Leeds is given at 185 miles 66 chains from London Kings Cross. Recent publications such Quail and TRACKatlas use 185mi 70ch. This suggests that the data may date from before Leeds station remodelling in 2000.

Track and route mileage and permissible line speeds as at 1 April 2009 are available in a series of 8 files on the Network Rail site here. Unfortunately the data has been stored inefficiently and the 8 files amount to some 1.3Gb.

I don't use these data sources for routeing purposes. The National Routeing Guide tells us:
NRG page A1 said:
The shortest route is calculated by reference to the National Rail Timetable.
So that must be used even if it introduces errors. For example, between Swinton and Meadowhall there are two routes. Fast trains usually go via the former Rotherham Masborough station, stopping trains via Rotherham Central. The National Rail Timetable does not distinguish between them.

b0b

Established Member
And has been pointed out that the current timetable - at least the PDF form - has no mileages :lol:

John @ home

Established Member
the current timetable ... has no mileages
Agreed. I have been assuming that the mileages in the 2009-10 Timetable are still those which apply to each travel ticket for working out matters such as whether a route is not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route. But perhaps I am wrong?

MODS: Should we move this thread to Fares, Tickets & Routeing?

Ploughman

Established Member
In section 336, Leeds is given at 185 miles 66 chains from London Kings Cross. Recent publications such Quail and TRACKatlas use 185mi 70ch. This suggests that the data may date from before Leeds station remodelling in 2000.

Could the discrepancy arise from the abandonment of the Viaduct line for ECML services?

b0b

Established Member
MODS: Should we move this thread to Fares, Tickets & Routeing?

I agree - I don't know how I managed to post it here. An old timetable is what I'm working off as well but that mileage data is much easier to parse than the NRT pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.