• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milngavie-Edinburgh service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail12

ScotRail seem to have gotten many of their services back running - 2tph on the North Clyde routes (Helensburgh - Edinburgh, Balloch - Airdrie & Dumbarton Ctl - Springburn), I think that the Argyle Line is running a full service, EK is now back to 2tph etc.

One notable omission is the Milngavie-Edinburgh trains, they haven't ran at all since lockdown started. I was on a train from Blairhill to Edinburgh yesterday and it didn't really seem all that busy despite being 2tph. I can't help but wonder if this service will even come back if they can manage with 2tph. The 334's displaced could potentially be used on other routes and may eventually help when lines such as EK & Barrhead get electrified.

I always wondered why the Airdrie-Bathgate line actually needed 4tph with 6 carriages in all of them in the first place as the trains are usually fairly empty. Do you think that ScotRail will bring this service back?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
ScotRail seem to have gotten many of their services back running - 2tph on the North Clyde routes (Helensburgh - Edinburgh, Balloch - Airdrie & Dumbarton Ctl - Springburn), I think that the Argyle Line is running a full service, EK is now back to 2tph etc.

One notable omission is the Milngavie-Edinburgh trains, they haven't ran at all since lockdown started. I was on a train from Blairhill to Edinburgh yesterday and it didn't really seem all that busy despite being 2tph. I can't help but wonder if this service will even come back if they can manage with 2tph. The 334's displaced could potentially be used on other routes and may eventually help when lines such as EK & Barrhead get electrified.

I always wondered why the Airdrie-Bathgate line actually needed 4tph with 6 carriages in all of them in the first place as the trains are usually fairly empty. Do you think that ScotRail will bring this service back?

Services go up on the 3rd of August. If anything id have an extra fast service from Glasgow Central via Shotts. The old pattern of fast and stoppers on the Airdrie and Bathagte was better.

EK is 2ph during the day yet after peaktime its hourly with thelast service at 2217 after a 90 min gap.

Scotrail12

If anything id have an extra fast service from Glasgow Central via Shotts. The old pattern of fast and stoppers on the Airdrie and Bathagte was better.

Interesting idea - maybe have an extra fast service via Shotts in place of one (or both) of the Lanark services at the High Level and instead send those services through the Low Level to Milngavie so that it retains 4tph. With Shotts, Cumbernauld, Carstairs and Falkirk all available for Glasgow-Edinburgh travel, 4tph on the North Clyde to Edinburgh just seems excessive.

Agree that the old pattern was better - it's meant less direct trains between Coatbridge and the East End and some odd times.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I agree with the Milngavie to Edinburgh service being empty. Maybe in peak times the service could run to Milngavie as a fast service as it was before. (Skipping Bathgate - Drumgelloch and Coatbridge - High Street). However, outside of those times maybe run it as a 1tph shuttle from Bathgate - Edinburgh only.

snookertam

The issue with the old pattern was that if the fast from milngavie was more than 5 mins late it would get caught behind the slow from Helensburgh Central at Hyndland. That happened a fair amount because of delays on the single line on the Milngavie branch, made it pretty unreliable at the Bathgate end.

Scotrail12

I agree with the Milngavie to Edinburgh service being empty. Maybe in peak times the service could run to Milngavie as a fast service as it was before. (Skipping Bathgate - Drumgelloch and Coatbridge - High Street). However, outside of those times maybe run it as a 1tph shuttle from Bathgate - Edinburgh only.

I'd like this idea. I think that Bathgate-Edinburgh and Milngavie-Glasgow still need 4tph, just not the Airdrie-Bathgate which is usually empty off-peak. It would also free up a lot of 334's for other work, seems a bit pointless to have almost all of them on a route that it is usually fairly quiet outside rush hour, especially when you consider future electrifications and other lines that are busy and could do with extra capacity.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I'd like this idea. I think that Bathgate-Edinburgh and Milngavie-Glasgow still need 4tph, just not the Airdrie-Bathgate which is usually empty off-peak. It would also free up a lot of 334's for other work, seems a bit pointless to have almost all of them on a route that it is usually fairly quiet outside rush hour, especially when you consider future electrifications and other lines that are busy and could do with extra capacity.

It also gives Airdrie a fast service to/from Glasgow to save people piling onto the Helensburgh - Edinburgh and Balloch - Airdrie service.

I think 3tph for Bathgate will suit up because the line isn't busy enough to warrant 4tph. A 6 car shuttle between Bathgate and Edinburgh compensated with the Helensburgh - Edinburgh will do it nicely.

In terms of Milngavie remaining as 4tph, it could be ran as a rerouted Lanark service, because the reliability on Glasgow Central - Lanark is awful most of the time. Swap it with the Whifflet service and run it back into the High Level as it was before.

Scotrail12

It also gives Airdrie a fast service to/from Glasgow to save people piling onto the Helensburgh - Edinburgh and Balloch - Airdrie service.

I think 3tph for Bathgate will suit up because the line isn't busy enough to warrant 4tph. A 6 car shuttle between Bathgate and Edinburgh compensated with the Helensburgh - Edinburgh will do it nicely.

In terms of Milngavie remaining as 4tph, it could be ran as a rerouted Lanark service, because the reliability on Glasgow Central - Lanark is awful most of the time. Swap it with the Whifflet service and run it back into the High Level as it was before.

I would say that both Whifflet & Lanark should go Low Level. I go to Strath and commute from Coatbridge so if I use the Whifflet line, Argyle Street is easier than having to walk to the other side of the city. Save High Level for the long distance trains and the ones coming from the South and West. Whifflet staying Low Level also means that routes such as Coatbridge-Hamilton have 2tph.

NorthClyde320

If possible in my opinion the services could be reorganised as follows:

Helensburgh to Edinburgh revised to serve the stops that the current Dumbarton Central to Springburn service serves between Dumbarton Central & Bellgrove, then all stops to Edinburgh, at the eastern end additional off peak Bathgate to Edinburgh services to maintain the 4 tph. Continue to be double class 334's.

Balloch to Airdrie revised to be double class 334 operated.

Milngavie to Edinburgh revised to remain as it is during the peak hours providing express journeys from Bathgate & Airdrie to Glasgow, off peak & all Saturday services would reroute at Bellgrove to/from Springburn.

This would provide 4 tph between Glasgow & Airdrie, 2 tph between Airdrie & Bathgate & 4 tph between Bathgate & Edinburgh. It could also mean with 6 tph through Queen St & 6 tph through Central trains via Partick would be roughly every 5 mins.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
If possible in my opinion the services could be reorganised as follows:

Helensburgh to Edinburgh revised to serve the stops that the current Dumbarton Central to Springburn service serves between Dumbarton Central & Bellgrove, then all stops to Edinburgh, at the eastern end additional off peak Bathgate to Edinburgh services to maintain the 4 tph. Continue to be double class 334's.

Balloch to Airdrie revised to be double class 334 operated.

Milngavie to Edinburgh revised to remain as it is during the peak hours providing express journeys from Bathgate & Airdrie to Glasgow, off peak & all Saturday services would reroute at Bellgrove to/from Springburn.

This would provide 4 tph between Glasgow & Airdrie, 2 tph between Airdrie & Bathgate & 4 tph between Bathgate & Edinburgh. It could also mean with 6 tph through Queen St & 6 tph through Central trains via Partick would be roughly every 5 mins.

I don't think the people of Helensburgh will be too happy that you intend to add more stops to their services. If anything was to pick up Bowling and Kilpatrick it would be the Balloch service, as Helensburgh has always typically been faster north of Partick.

Status
Not open for further replies.