• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milton Keynes - Stroud

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
On the 21st of April I intend to travel from Milton Keynes to Stroud. I hope Stroud is the closest station to Forrest Green Rovers. I have TRIED using the information provided by Yorkie (and others) and a search of this august forum I have managed to work out the following fares:

1) A return consisting of 2 LM Sale tickets from Milton Keynes to Euston =£6.15

2) An advance single from Paddington to Stroud on the 1015 FGW departure =
£14.00

3) An advance single from Stroud to Paddington on the 1832 FGW departure = £16

I know I ask often about fares, for which I apologise, and HOPEFULLY, with the information provided on this site it should get less! I would be grateful if someone could double check my working out or red pen any errors and provide any constructive criticism or suggestions for other fares :lol:

I will be travelling alone on 21st April 2012, I hold a Network Railcard. I am easy on route an operator but need to arrive in Stroud by 1300. I can leave any time after 1700.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Stroud is definitely the station you want for FGR.

Your return train is currently priced £16.00; the 1934 is only £8 and as a bonus is direct (direct services are often cheaper on this route).

For more flexibility,buy Off Peak Day Returns:
Paddington-Didcot (with Network Railcard) £14.85
Didcot-Swindon £9.90
Swindon-Stroud £7.20
Total £31.95

(All your trains stop at Didcot so no worries there). In theory you could travel via Brum but it would take longer and I very much doubt that you'll get decent fares for Birmingham-Stroud.

You can usually get taxis outside the station but probably wise to ring ahead if you want one; otherwise you'll want the 46 or 93 which go pretty much direct to the club. (As usual the fares are kept secret so I'm not sure whether PlusBus at £3 is a better option; I'd take a punt on it being cheaper though).

sonic2009

Established Member
You could choose this option :

Milton Keynes Rail Station 0830/0900 to Oxford Gloucester Green 0945/1015, this leg would be via the X5 Stagecoach service.

Purchase a Oxfordshire X5 Dayrider Gold costing £11.40, and this will be also valid on the bus from Stroud to Forest Green.

( The Oxfordshire Dayrider Gold allows unlimited travel on Stagecoach buses in Southern Britain, except Devon, in or to/from London. Southern Britain is defined as Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, South Wales, Warwickshire, West Sussex, Wiltshire and Worcestershire. You will need the X5 version to be able to use the X5 Oxford - Cambridge service.)

Then use the train from Oxford dep 1037 arr Didcot Parkway arr 1049 dep 1056 arr Stroud arr 1145 STD Advance Single £8.00.

You have a 93 bus from Stroud Merrywalks ( a short walk down the hill from the train station) at 1200 arriving into Forest Green at 1226.

Return journey :

(93) Forest Green 1726 to Stroud Merrywalks 1750

then you have two options to get back to Oxford :

Stroud dep 1832 arr Swindon 1904 dep 1929 arr Didcot Parkway 1946 dep 1955 arr Oxford 2014.

STD advance single £7.00, this option would connect into the 2040 X5 service arriving into Milton Keynes at 2150.

or you could grab a bite to eat in Stroud :) and :

Stroud dep 1934 arr Didcot Parkway 2022 dep 2055 arr Oxford 2114.

STD Advance £3.50, this option would connect into the 2140 X5 service arriving into Milton Keynes at 2250.

So the most your going to pay is £25.40 or if you take the later option from Stroud £21.90

The choice is yours :)

OwlMan

Established Member
The cheapest ticket is probably a Leighton Buzzard - Stroud (not London off peak reurn valid via Birmingham & Cheltenham (according to WEBTIS). It is available in the LM sale for a very good price of £20.49

Peter

sonic2009

Established Member
The cheapest ticket is probably a Leighton Buzzard - Stroud (not London off peak reurn valid via Birmingham & Cheltenham (according to WEBTIS). It is available in the LM sale for a very good price of £20.49

Peter

Great spot :D. If the OP does purchase this ticket, then buy the Plusbus ticket for Stroud at £3, if you buy on the bus it will cost you £3.40 for a dayrider.

Status
Not open for further replies.