• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milton Keynes to/from Olympia

Status
Not open for further replies.

100andthirty

We are travelling out from MK to Olympia on the direct Southern service and back from Euston. We don't need the tube. Would a retun via London ve valid for both legs? Thanks in advance.? Off peak both ways.

We were actually sold MK to Olympia NOT via London and Olympia to MK via London an a cost nearly double the price of the return mentiond above.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd have bought an Off Peak Day Return from MKC to KPA route: Not Via London costing £23.60 and excessed the return portion to a route: + Via London ticket which would have cost £2.80.

It's not exactly clear what you were sold. I'm assuming an Off Peak Day Single from MKC to KPA route: Not Via London for the outward journey (£23.50) and an Off Peak Day Single from KPA to MKC route: + Via London for the return (£29.10)

A Travelcard from Milton Keynes (Any permitted) is £27.80 and would have been better than the two singles you were sold.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would certainly complain. In fairness to the ticket clerk it does sort of depend on what you asked for if you said something like:

'I need a ticket to travel to Kensington Olympia and then one to travel from Euston back to Milton Keynes' then the ticket clerk was possibly technically correct.

If you said:

'I need to travel to Kensington Olympia on the direct service returning via London' then you were mis-sold imo.

In any case I'd write in to London Midland explaining what happened and see if they will offer you some vouchers as a gesture.

I'd always suggest asking on here first for anything slightly complex as collectively we'll always give the correct advice.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are the two journeys on the same day?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=MKC&dest=0035&rte=777&tkt=ODT

An Off Peak (Day) Return route "Not Via London" with half excessed Via London would be correct. Though as, if it's over two days, these differ in price by all of 70p I'd just buy the via London one, typically the more expensive routed ticket is valid via the cheaper route "de facto" as the excess would be zero-fare.

Only if your journey is in the peak in one or both directions and not on the same day would two singles be relevant.

Yes, complain.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There are no evening restrictions on the return portion of the Off Peak Day or Off Peak tickets so no need to Anytime singles unless any travel is in the morning peak.

100andthirty

Thanks Bletchleyite.. that is what I would have preferred....simpler all round. £52 for two off peak singles is a lot even compared with the anytime return any train fare of about £39.

100andthirty

Thanks to all for the feedback. A further thought .......

Would an "any train" MKC to zone 1-6 travel card have been valid. This is cheaper than the MKC to Kensinton Olympia via London.

Also, Hadders mentioned thd direct route return ticket plus an excess which is the cheapest. Could all this have been sold at MKC ticket office before starting the journey?

By the way, I tried to compose a complaint on my phone on the way home. I had the issue nicely explained, and hit 'send'. Then get an error message along the lines of 'entries in this box musf be strings of length 0 to 1000', with is pure computer speak but I interpret means the message can't be more than 1000 characters long. Will add this to the complaint.

philthetube

Established Member
Thanks to all for the feedback. A further thought .......

By the way, I tried to compose a complaint on my phone on the way home. I had the issue nicely explained, and hit 'send'. Then get an error message along the lines of 'entries in this box musf be strings of length 0 to 1000', with is pure computer speak but I interpret means the message can't be more than 1000 characters long. Will add this to the complaint.

Gl adding to complaint if you can't fir it all in now. :D

IanD

Established Member
Yes, complain.

Depends what they asked for. If they asked for a ticket to Olympia and a ticket back from Euston then that sounds like what they were sold so no grounds for complaint. (One would hope they would be directed to the cheaper option in that case but as I understand it there is no obligation to offer such advice.)

If they asked for a ticket that would allow them to travel to Olympia but return from Euston then they probably do have grounds for complaint.

IanD

Established Member
Actually, the combination sold sounds like what you'd get if you booked via the VTWC website and didn't select the 'Look for more expensive fares' option which would reveal the cheaper fares.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
MKC ticket office should have been able to sell you the excess however many members of staff are not familiar with excesses so it is sometimes necessary to shop around.

A change of route excess can be purchased on board with no penalty so that's always an option if all else fails.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
MKC ticket office should have been able to sell you the excess however many members of staff are not familiar with excesses so it is sometimes necessary to shop around.

A change of route excess can be purchased on board with no penalty so that's always an option if all else fails.

In my experience MKC ticket office will do route excesses but they get them wrong, they charge you the full difference not half of it. This is the most common error with them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We are travelling out from MK to Olympia on the direct Southern service and back from Euston. We don't need the tube. Would a retun via London ve valid for both legs? Thanks in advance.? Off peak both ways.

We were actually sold MK to Olympia NOT via London and Olympia to MK via London an a cost nearly double the price of the return mentiond above.

Thanks in advance.
It really isn't clear what you asked for, but a return from Milton Keynes (MKC) to Kensington Olympia (KPA) routed 'Not via London' (£23.60) with a change of route excess (£2.80) to the "+ via London" fare would be a total of £26.40, assuming you were returning the same day. There is no compulsion to use the tube; you could start 'short' at Euston.

What exactly happened?

There are no evening restrictions on the return portion of the Off Peak Day or Off Peak tickets so no need to Anytime singles unless any travel is in the morning peak.

There are evening restrictions (Monday to Friday) from London Euston.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are evening restrictions (Monday to Friday) from London Euston.
Not if the ticket to Kensington Olympia had been purchased.

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=MKC&dest=KPA&rte=200&ldn=1&tkt=CDR

Restriction Code: JC

APPLICABLE DAYS

Mondays-Fridays

OUTWARD TRAVEL

Not valid on trains timed to
depart after 0429 and before

RETURN TRAVEL

depart after 0429 and before

Or if the cheapest possible ticket, suggested above, but would have required a change of trains at Harrow & Wealdstone, had been puchased:

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=MKC&dest=0035&rte=777&tkt=ODT

Restriction Code: C0

APPLICABLE DAYS

Mondays-Fridays

OUTWARD TRAVEL

depart after 04:29 which
arrive at London Terminals or
Kensington Olympia before
09:50

RETURN TRAVEL

depart after 04:29 which
arrive at OR DEPART any London
Terminals or Kensington
Olympia before 09:50

The Travelcard routed Any Permitted does have evening peak restrictions, but that would be a pointless ticket to purchase in this case, as it costs more than a return to KPA, and the original poster (OP) told us the use of the tube isn't required, so no need for a Travelcard.

It is difficult to advise when someone say something like "Off peak both ways", as we do not know what is meant by "off peak" as it varies so much.

island

Veteran Member
Depends which ticket, to be fair. And on which Euston barrier staff you meet. I had an off-peak return from London to Manchester thrust back at me at the manual check to board the 18:57 once because "off peak starts at seven". Except it doesn't.

100andthirty

Thanks all for the continued input, and apologies for my terrible typing.

My wife was sold tickets valued at £52 and some pence. We have been debating on here various tickets in the £23 to £29 range are valid. Whilst the MKC to Zone 1 to 6 off peak at £27 and some pence may not be the cheapest and provide an unwanted tube option, it is nearly half £52 and this or one of the other options should have been offered by the ticket office person.

We actually said to the ticket person....."we want to go to Olympia on the direct train but come back from Euston today".

I think they have an obligation to sell the cheapest ticket, not one of the most expensive and do that even if the customer doesn't use some precise, even pedantic, wording

By the way, the Olympia to MKC via London ticket did include the tube as it has the dagger symbol. (I've learnt that much from this forum)

I will complain and will use something that is more flexible that LM's web site eg an email!

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
...neither of which bodies will do anything other than send you a sympathetic letter, sadly.

100andthirty

Email complaint was sent on 22nd June; acknowledged the same day. Today, I've had a letter with factual responses to the points I raised and a voucher covering the difference between what was paid and what should have been paid.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's a good result. Thanks for letting us know.

You're always certain to get excellent advice about fares here.

Status
Not open for further replies.