• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milton Keynes to Glasgow avoiding Voyager!

Status
Not open for further replies.

100andthirty

My wife and I are travelling from Milton Keynes Central to Glasgow on 25th July and planning to catch the 10:13 (09:43 ex Euston).

We plan to return on 29th July and plan to catch the 10:00 or 12:00 trains to Milton Keynes.

I want to avoid Voyagers. Are any or all the trains above Pendolinos?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

I just checked, and they all seem to be Pendolino according to the Realtimetrains allocation, yet this isn't always guaranteed, as per below. Only the 08:00 showed up as Diesel Multiple Unit.

However, trying to book on the virgintrains website and checking my seat allocation gives me a pendolino on the Milton Keynes - Glasgow leg, but on the way back only on the 10:00. The 12:00 seems to be a voyager, where I got a seat K44 for 2nd class which doesn't exist on Pendolino trains.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I just checked, and they all seem to be Pendolino according to the Realtimetrains allocation, yet this isn't always guaranteed, as per below. Only the 08:00 showed up as Diesel Multiple Unit.

However, trying to book on the virgintrains website and checking my seat allocation gives me a pendolino on the Milton Keynes - Glasgow leg, but on the way back only on the 10:00. The 12:00 seems to be a voyager, where I got a seat K44 for 2nd class which doesn't exist on Pendolino trains.

This may not be what you want - so sorry if that's the case - but you could always take a train down to Euston and take the fast VT to Glasgow direct (avoiding Birmingham) which runs hourly and is always a Pendolino. It may be annoying having to go down to Euston but in theory will actually save you time as the train that calls at MKC that goes via Birmingham is an hour longer, plus the direct fast train from London Euston is never voyager.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It's not guaranteed, but it is pretty accurate for VTWC as the timings differ. The other way is to try to buy a ticket on it and go to the seating plan.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This may not be what you want - so sorry if that's the case - but you could always take a train down to Euston and take the fast VT to Glasgow direct (avoiding Birmingham) which runs hourly and is always a Pendolino. It may be annoying having to go down to Euston but in theory will actually save you time as the train that calls at MKC that goes via Birmingham is an hour longer, plus the direct fast train from London Euston is never voyager.

it will also cost you quite bit more to do that & waste some time.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
it will also cost you quite bit more to do that & waste some time.

If you want to save time from MKC, the best way to do so is to take the xx40 Voyager to Crewe and meet the previous xx13 service there.

But that's a Voyager, of course. I mostly just take the through service to minimise faff.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you want to save time from MKC, the best way to do so is to take the xx40 Voyager to Crewe and meet the previous xx13 service there.

But that's a Voyager, of course. I mostly just take the through service to minimise faff.

i just sit on the train via Wolves. As you say it isnt worth the faffing about changing at Crewe. Plus I have missed too many connections doing that and having to waste an hour at Crewe is turgid. It isnt like the olden days :(

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
i just sit on the train via Wolves. As you say it isnt worth the faffing about changing at Crewe. Plus I have missed too many connections doing that and having to waste an hour at Crewe is turgid. It isnt like the olden days :(

An hour is a nuisance amount of time at Crewe because there's basically nothing within about 20-25 minutes' walk unless you just want a greasy kebab (and the opening times of those are poor). Really crying out for a decent mini supermarket on site.

I only tend to use the xx40 if I miss the xx13, it's a useful insurance if the bus is late etc.

IanD

Established Member
An hour is a nuisance amount of time at Crewe because there's basically nothing within about 20-25 minutes' walk unless you just want a greasy kebab (and the opening times of those are poor). Really crying out for a decent mini supermarket on site.

I only tend to use the xx40 if I miss the xx13, it's a useful insurance if the bus is late etc.

I only ever use the 06:23 to Glasgow Central.

ag51ruk

At Crewe there is a Tesco Express open until midnight (turn right outside the station), with a McDonalds just past that, and a Starbucks Drive-Thru, Subway and Greggs next to the new car park on Weston Road accessed from the subway - all within 5 minutes walk

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
At Crewe there is a Tesco Express open until midnight (turn right outside the station), with a McDonalds just past that, and a Starbucks Drive-Thru, Subway and Greggs next to the new car park on Weston Road accessed from the subway - all within 5 minutes walk

Wow, cheers! I've always turned left for some reason.

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just checked, and they all seem to be Pendolino according to the Realtimetrains allocation, yet this isn't always guaranteed, as per below. Only the 08:00 showed up as Diesel Multiple Unit

The 12.00 on a Saturday is now a Voyager despite what it claims on RTT. See my thread on this

100andthirty

Thanks to all who helped.

Although we reserved on 8.13 down train on Tuesday and 12:00 up train today, there was plenty of room. Both were 11 car pendolinos.

The original choice - 10:40 up train (from prior experience, a 9-car pendolino), change Rugby produced the last two reserved seats - in different coaches. SWMBO preferred to sit opposite - to gaze adoringly at me, I imagine(!) - hence choice of a different train.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
There is a 174X from MK which is a Voyager as it drops the back unit off at Boirmingham

That's the 16:43 Euston to Edinburgh, calls at Milton Keynes at 17:13, a train which should certainly be 2x221 throughout, I see the change to it being halved at Birmingham, as you say, a huge downgrade as such.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's the 16:43 Euston to Edinburgh, calls at Milton Keynes at 17:13, a train which should certainly be 2x221 throughout, I see the change to it being halved at Birmingham, as you say, a huge downgrade as such.

cheers - i meant from Euston calling at MK! got a bit confuddled. It is one to avoid as it can be very busy at least as far as Brum

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

On any occasion that I witnessed that 1643 ex-Euston anywhere north of Wolves when it was a double set, it always seemed lightly filled for a train that long, certainly north of Preston. If it was one of the changes that enabled the purge to some of the massive ECSs VT used to have, then I agree with the shortening totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.