• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mini ALR Help and Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
NWC on TnT 47s, was great, really was. Not the 47s, but the scenery shooting past in the nice warming sun. Then the nice brisk walk to Conwy Castle from Llandudno Junction.

T'n'T Spoons :roll: Nothing compared to 37412 slipping itself stupid out of the junction on the 1007 Brum - Holyhead back in '99 ;) The rails were a bit wet :!:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
T'n'T Spoons :roll: Nothing compared to 37412 slipping itself stupid out of the junction on the 1007 Brum - Holyhead back in '99 ;) The rails were a bit wet :!:

Did I not say I didn't enjoy it cos of the spoons mm? ;) I think we both know I'd much prefer it to have been a 37. 37410... ;)

Craig

Established Member
Still no idea what to do on the last day though.

If you fancied something different you could get a bus to Llanberis and have a trip on the Snowdon mountain railway (they do PRIV rates). Then depending on times either get the bus back to Betws-y-Coed or up to Bangor for the train back to Buxton.

It'd be probably worth having a different plan in case the weather is rubbish on the day though. It'd be a bit boring going up Snowdon if you couldn't see anything :lol:

Established Member
If you fancied something different you could get a bus to Llanberis and have a trip on the Snowdon mountain railway (they do PRIV rates). Then depending on times either get the bus back to Betws-y-Coed or up to Bangor for the train back to Buxton.

It'd be probably worth having a different plan in case the weather is rubbish on the day though. It'd be a bit boring going up Snowdon if you couldn't see anything :lol:

Don't think Gizzy does buses from previous posts though ;)

djw1981

Established Member
Last day: looking at your coverage - Llandudno to warrington to Lancaster then either the Heysham branch - nice port with nuclear Power Station, or get TPE to Carnforth then cover the line across to the S&C, then back to Macnchester vis Clitheroe & blackburn - some good mountain / country scenery, even around Blackburn IIRC.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whitby is absolutely lovely, I'd highly recommend a day there. If you're willing to alter your plans a little, you may catch the last day of the Whitby Regatta. Take a bus to Robin Hood's Bay, a gorgeous little fishing town in a secluded bay, with narrow cobbled streets and picturesque old buildings. Alternatively, take a steam train direct from Whitby to Goathland in the heart of the North Yorkshire Moors. The journey between Battersby and Whitby and Whitby and Pickering is very pleasant with lovely scenery to enjoy.

Craig

Established Member
Whitby is absolutely lovely, I'd highly recommend a day there. If you're willing to alter your plans a little, you may catch the last day of the Whitby Regatta. Take a bus to Robin Hood's Bay, a gorgeous little fishing town in a secluded bay, with narrow cobbled streets and picturesque old buildings. Alternatively, take a steam train direct from Whitby to Goathland in the heart of the North Yorkshire Moors. The journey between Battersby and Whitby and Whitby and Pickering is very pleasant with lovely scenery to enjoy.

I think Betws-y-Coed - Whitby - Buxton in a day might be pushing it a bit :lol:

Whitby is a nice place though, the 199 steps up to the Abbey are always good exercise too!

mrcheek

Established Member
since everyones plugging their home towns, Weston-super-Mare is kinda ok. and it has a really great pier where all the cool people work.

djw1981

Established Member
I'd like to point out that I am not from Blackburn - the evil side (west) of the country...

Gizmogle

Established Member
Ah brilliant. Right in the middle of the village, and only minutes away from the station!

Good choice there!
Yep, well, me and my Mum aren't great on the navigation side of things. The closer to the station the better! It also tends to be a good idea not to miss a 2hrly service.

Don't think Gizzy does buses from previous posts though ;)
No. Short bus journeys are okay. But I like to avoid them at all costs really. I don't travel well at all.

Whitby is a nice place though, the 199 steps up to the Abbey are always good exercise too!
Yeah, I actually did take a look at a plan for Whitby before it was mentioned here! It looks like a really cool place and I need the coverage. It just seems quite difficult to get to with awkward services.

Craig

Established Member
Yeah, I actually did take a look at a plan for Whitby before it was mentioned here! It looks like a really cool place and I need the coverage. It just seems quite difficult to get to with awkward services.

Yeah, it's not the easiest place to get to by train. I've just looked at times and I think it'd just be possible to do in a day, getting the 0554 from Buxton to Malton, bus to Pickering, NYMR to Grosmont with 40ish minutes to look around, and then train to Whitby. Coming back would be via Middlesborough getting to Buxton for 2246 or something.

You'd probably be better off staying in Yorkshire somewhere and splitting it over two days, and maybe including some other stuff too.

Gizmogle

Established Member
What what what!?

*How can you say that when you travel around all over the place.

*pedantic ftw
Well, I don't feel well the majority of the time, so I just get used to it really.
Trains are okay though. Unless they tilt loads or are really warm inside.
It's just road transport that makes me really ill. (As Baggy saw)

class 313

Established Member
Well, I don't feel well the majority of the time, so I just get used to it really.
Trains are okay though. Unless they tilt loads or are really warm inside.
It's just road transport that makes me really ill. (As Baggy saw)

Warm trains are ftw! Specially when its cold out *shudders*

16CSVT2700

Established Member

Fort William to Penzance in less than 20 hours is perfectly possible ;) Via Edinburgh and London too of course :D

djw1981

Established Member
And Thurso to Penzance is only 22h51

Code:
xxxx 1621 Thurso
2005 2040 Inverness
0743 xxxx Euston
xxxx 1005 Paddington
1512 xxxx Penzance

Fort William - Penzance is a mere snip at 15h28

Code:
xxxx 0742 Fort William
1128 xxxx Glasgow Queen Street
xxxx 1210 Glasgow central
1611 1633 Birmingham New Street
1811 1832 Reading
2310 xxxx Penzance

Going via London (18h51)

Code:
xxxx 1950 Fort William
0733 xxxx Euston
xxxx 0905 Paddington
1222 1244 Plymouth
1441 xxxx Penzance

Mallaig - Penzance 17h07

Code:
xxxx 0603 Mallaig
1128 xxxx Glasgow Queen Street
xxxx 1249 Glasgow Central 
1717 xxxx Euston
xxxx 1803 Paddington 
2310 xxxx Penzance
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Kyle of Lochalsh - Penzance (22h24)

Code:
xxxx 1648 Kyle of Lochalsh
1919 2040 Inverness
0743 xxxx Euston
xxxx 1005 Paddington
1512 xxxx Penzance

16CSVT2700

Established Member
We went
FortBill - Glasgow QC (156)
Glasgow QSt - Edinburgh (170)
Edinburgh - Kings Cross (HST)
Padd - Penzance (sleeper)

djw1981

Established Member
See I think that the FSr sleepers look more comfy than the FGW ones, and they have the magical thing of falling asleep in the highlands and waking up in the city.... I know it never works wuite like that but....

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
See I think that the FSr sleepers look more comfy than the FGW ones, and they have the magical thing of falling asleep in the highlands and waking up in the city.... I know it never works wuite like that but....
I thought the magic was the other way round, waking up in the highlands? ;) Especially when a 37 was on the front!! Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep on the northbound runs, the excitement kept me awake. I'm no good with sleepers, I'm too interested in the journey and trying to guess where the train is.

Going south it was better as I was usually knackered by then, apart from the time I was getting off at York I was too worried at missing my stop to fall asleep.

djw1981

Established Member
I guess it depends what one is after - falling asleep to the sound of a 37 and waking up to a 90, or waking up to a 37.....

Status
Not open for further replies.