• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minimum age for Senior Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

John @ home

Established Member
I'm aware of plans to change the age of eligibility for concessionary bus travel in line with the changes that are being made to the state pension age from April 2010. These plans were announced on 9 December 2009 and are described here.

I'm not aware of any plans to change the age of eligibility for a Senior Railcard, described here.

Are there any?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
I wouldn't imagine so. The railcard is not linked to the state pension age, just what ATOC define as senior.

This railcard being accepted is a franchise commitment, like every other railcard, (bar family and friends). The TOC, DfT or other franchise awarding body, (e.g. PTE), would have to agree to change the age boundaries.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn't imagine so. The railcard is not linked to the state pension age, just what ATOC define as senior.

This railcard being accepted is a franchise commitment, like every other railcard, (bar family and friends). The TOC, DfT or other franchise awarding body, (e.g. PTE), would have to agree to change the age boundaries.

does anyone know which Railcard conditions are protected and which are not?

First class

Established Member
All railcard conditions are protected and can only be changed by negotiation between the relevant parties, TOCs, ATOC, DfT, PTEs, PF etc. I suppose the DfT could write into the next franchise renewals that the railcards do not have to be accepted, but as for eligibility criteria, pricing and the like, the above negotiation has to occur and a majority vote for change has to be won.

The exception is the Family and Friends Railcard which does not have to be honoured or sold by any TOC, although they all do presently.

John @ home

Established Member
does anyone know which Railcard conditions are protected and which are not?
I don't think it matters which terms are protected. DfT unilaterally announced here on 9 December 2009 that the qualifying age for concessionary bus travel will increase from 6 April 2010. The interim Order to give effect to this was passed by Parliament at the end of the debate on the Pre-Budget Report. I expect the permanent legislation to be included in the Finance Act 2010. If that can be done for concessionary bus travel, it can be (has been?) done for Senior Railcard and may be likely if it reduces DfT's subsidy to train companies.

Just as I left university, BR introduced a Student Railcard. When I was 22, they extended it to all under 21. When I was 27, they extended it to all under 26. Why do I think that the qualifying age for a Senior Railcard will increase just as I approach 60?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Just as I left university, BR introduced a Student Railcard. When I was 22, they extended it to all under 21. When I was 27, they extended it to all under 26. Why do I think that the qualifying age for a Senior Railcard will increase just as I approach 60?

It's actually conspiracy, targeted against you and you alone, Yes, others are caught in the cross fire, but for no discernable reason the rail industry has a vendetta against you :lol:

bnm

Established Member
Concessionary bus travel is funded by local authorities and is open to all who reach the qualifying age or disability criteria at no additional cost to the individual. This is a political decision to promote social inclusion.

Senior railcards are an elective form of discount, designed, like other railcards, to offer cheaper travel to encourage those who qualify to use the railways. Railcards were introduced for commercial reasons to increase revenue by attracting folks who were less likely to use the railways because of their limited income. They are not, as a rule, subsidised by central government, although some local authorities do offer residents in their area the opportunity to buy Senior and Disabled railcards at reduced rates. Their continued acceptance (excepting F&F) is now protected by franchise (ie politically motivated) rules, but they are not protected by primary legislation like concessionary bus travel.

Also, don't forget, the users have to pay for nearly all railcards.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member

You did read "Catch 22", didn't you? [The number of missions Yosarrian had to fly before he could return home increased every time he flew on a mission]
I'm going to be caught by this too, John, and somehow, I'm not surprised.

mickey

some local authorities do offer residents in their area the opportunity to buy Senior and Disabled railcards at reduced rates.

This is usually linked to the national concessionary travel pass scheme (e.g. some local authorities offer it as an alternative to free bus travel, some as an add-on) and as such the age is likely to rise with the bus pass criteria. For those who buy their railcards separately the age limit is unlikely to go up. For some reason I've always thought we deliberately keep our limits the same as the rest of Europe (e.g. France's Carte Senior and 12-25, etc.) so unless they go up ours won't either. And good luck if you want to make a change like that in France...

Wyvern

Established Member
Not sure how it will work for the government bus pass or the National Railcard but if you are around 60 check with your local council regarding your local concession.

Derby County Council has just published their arrangement for their Gold Card which includes half price on local rail travel (which includes Burton, Worksop, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester)

Rather than making people reaching 60 after 6 April this year wait five years, they are phasing the changes in.

John @ home

Established Member
Rather than making people reaching 60 after 6 April this year wait five years, they are phasing the changes in.
Yes. The qualification age for the National Concessionary Bus Pass for both men and women will increase in line with the qualification age for women for the State Pension
Conditions of issue and use of the Senior Railcard said:
2. You must be aged 60 years or over to be eligible to purchase a Senior Railcard.

10. The right is reserved to revise these Conditions. The Train Companies will endeavour to give three months’ notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect. Terms and Conditions are valid up to and including 23 May 2010

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/buy-senior-railcard/railcard-terms-conditions
The government gave more than 3 months' notice of the increase in qualification age for the National Concessionary Bus Pass from April 2009. That was announced on 9 December 2009.

ATOC have not given notice of a change to the qualification age for the Senior Railcard. It threfore seems they have decided not to increase this qualification age in the same way.

A60K

Hopefully not - although I note the weasel words 'will endeavour' in the terms.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I should have posted this earlier . . I raised this issue with some Lib Dem policticians - after some consultation I got an "off the record" reply that they (the Lib Dems) would not interfere with (as they perceive it) the move to increase the bus pass eligibility age progressively, corresponding to the increase in statutory pension age.
I had to press for a reply to the Senior Rail card part of my question and after watching an awkward shuffling of feet, concluded that they were correct in saying that they didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.