Minimum Connection Times - source?

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by TheManOnThe172, 16 Oct 2019.

1. TheManOnThe172

TheManOnThe172 Member

What is the authoritative source for Minimum Connection Time figures?

The PDF timetables (which previous threads had suggested as an authoritative source) specify no non-standard connection time for St Pancras - not on table 52 (Thameslink) nor table 53 (Midland Main Line).

Taken literally, that would suggest the default of 5 minutes - which is clearly not realistic for Thameslink<-->Midland Main Line (but quite reasonable for Thameslink<-->Thameslink).

I called EMR to ask about Thameslink<-->Midland Main Line: they couldn't tell me(!), but referred me to brfares.com.

That shows a Minimum Connection Time for St Pancras at 15 minutes, which seems sensible for Thameslink<-->Midland Mainline, but grossly too long for Thameslink<-->Thameslink.

While brfares is a great resource, can anyone suggest closer-to-the-source documentation available on the internet?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    i suspect it is a case of "twas ever thus"

4. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

Section 5.3 of the Timetable Planning Rules. Downloadable off the NR website. 15 minutes connection to Eurostar and Thameslink as its a specific rule, 5 for anything else as its a default standard value. The times are agreed by the TOCs, not NR.

5. TheManOnThe172

TheManOnThe172 Member

A link would be really helpful - NR's is quite a big site and neither a Google Search or a look through the Site Map suggests any obviously suitable page.

(The public NR page on Connections doesn't categorise St Pancras as a "Main Interchange Station" - that status is reserved for such key locations as Barking - but it wouldn't help if it did, as the Connections page and individual station pages are silent on Minimum Connection Times - a ridiculous omission)

6. CEN60

CEN60 Member

Opposite end of the country - Highland Mainline Services have a 6 min connection time to Kyle Line Services - I should add you only have to walk from Plat 3 or 4 to 5 or 6! Also if the Highland Service is a wee bit late - they have been known to hold the Kyle Service, which I appreciate is not possible way down south!!!

7. The Planner

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/industry-and-commercial/information-for-operators/
    Its in the operational rules section.

8. TheManOnThe172

TheManOnThe172 Member

9. The Planner

The TPR folders, either one, the file you need is emYYp or emXXp depending on which folder you opened.