Minister Varadkar confirms deferral of major road and rail projects (Ireland)

Discussion in 'International Transport' started by GM078, 11 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GM078

GM078 Member

From the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (Ireland).

(I've edited the above press release just to include the bits relavent to transport)

Not that surprising an outcome really, over the last few months it seemed unlikely that Metro North or Dart Underground would go ahead. One quibble would be the choice of a terminus for Luas BXD, the location being near the current Broombridge station on the Sligo line, one might argue that it would make more sense to extend to serve the non-Airport areas that were meant to be served by Metro North (I'm not convinced that a Luas tram could handle both Airport passengers/luggage and commuter traffic that effectively).

It's also interesting to note that the Luas project is planned to be under construction from 2015 to 2018, which leaves the possibility that O'Connell St. might be dug up during the 1916 Rising centenary celebrations... hmmm.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2011
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. WestCoast

WestCoast Established Member

So, the airport link that Metro North was to provide has been postponed/cancelled.

Regarding the Irish Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport - what's sport go to do with transport and tourism? Cuts I presume.

4. GM078

GM078 Member

The Dept. has had quite a few names over the years, at one point it was actually called "Public Enterprise" and had no mention of transport in its title at all. Curiously one of the Junior Ministers under Varadkar is called the "Minister of State for Public and Commuter Transport", why this can't be whittled down to just "Minister of State for Transport" is beyond me...

5. Thewanderer

Thewanderer Member

Why it is no surprise that Metro North and DART Underground have been "deferred", I was actually surprised and delighted that LUAS BXD got the go-ahead. It will finally allow the LUAS Green Line to provide decent interchange with the Red Line and Dublin Bus services in the heart of the City Centre. With the extension out to Broombridge (running along the former MGWR line between Broombridge and Liffey Junction (Broombridge)) this will provide excellent interchange with Iarnrod Eireann Western Commuter services. Hopefully Broombridge, being the dump that it is will see a new lease of life.

But no mention of DART Airport anywhere in the press or the Dept. statement. I'll have to make a few enquiries when I return to work to see if this project is still on the table.

The Wanderer.

6. GM078

GM078 Member

While the enthusiast in me naturally likes the idea, I was never that convinced that a DART branch to the Airport was needed in the first place, the place is well served by both state and private run bus routes. It was an update of a 1991 plan - back in 1991 there wasn't near the range of bus services linking the Airport with the city centre (and indeed provincial locations) that there is two decades down the road. The rail link would also offer far more limited direct connections to other locations (why get a combination of trains, DARTs, when a bus get one there in go?). In these times there are other areas that the money could be spent on. Some will say that Dublin should have a rail link to airport as most other European capitals do but I'm not actually convinced that that in itself is a valid reason to go ahead with such a project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.