• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Minute's silence today for coronavirus victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Much as I am very sad about all the people who have died - especially those who did so unnecessarily - from COVID-19, this country has a really big problem with sentimentalism.

At noon, across the UK, a minute's silence is being held in memory of those who have died and at 8pm people are being encouraged to stand on doorsteps with phones, candles and torches to signify a "beacon of remembrance".

There remains, sadly, no vaccine for cringe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
I thought the 'Clap for Carers' was bad enough (especially when they tried bringing it back). This is next level cringe. Just serves as a pretty sobering reminder that it's been a year since we gave up our freedoms.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
All of this standing on the doorstep malarkey needs to be knocked on the head IMO.

kristiang85

Established Member
OK how about a vigil for all those who died of cancer, heart disease, and the myriad of non covid illnesses as well?

Darandio

Established Member
OK how about a vigil for all those who died of cancer, heart disease, and the myriad of non covid illnesses as well?

Which we'll need to do for many years to come simply for excess deaths attributed to lack of routine treatment over the past 12 months.

I might stand at the door and boo at midday.

kristiang85

Established Member
I don't know what the perception among the public is for this gesture, but the BBC comments are not supportive of the move for similar reasons expressed here:

If the BBC commentors are fed up with it all, then the government have truly lost the room.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sorry for anyone who has lost someone through this in the last year. But this takes virtue signalling to a new level.

Agreed

Eyersey468

Established Member
And for all those who have lost their livelihoods while we are at it.

In case anyone wondered I do have sympathy for everyone who has lost a family member, a friend of mine died from it last month, but I agree with previous comments

Darandio

Established Member
And for all those who have lost their livelihoods while we are at it

Yep, that's another one. Then we can have a minute's silence for every death milestone, 1000 and 10000 etc. In fact, let's stay silent forever because the government would support that, we all know keeping quiet prevents transmission.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
If the BBC commentors are fed up with it all, then the government have truly lost the room.
True. They lost me with the u-turn on masks, despite Vallance, Whitty and Van Tamm in particular, previously saying the evidence was weak, and Jenny Harries saying they could actually do more harm than good.
This minute’s silence will not be observed by me. Some people have had hours, days, weeks and months of silence, and took their own lives as a result of government policy

Eyersey468

Established Member

True. They lost me with the u-turn on masks, despite Vallance, Whitty and Van Tamm in particular, previously saying the evidence was weak, and Jenny Harries saying they could actually do more harm than good.
This minute’s silence will not be observed by me. Some people have had hours, days, weeks and months of silence, and took their own lives as a result of government policy
I will not be observing it either

brad465

Established Member
Just when we thought a minute silence at 12 today wasn't enough, they're about to get everyone shining candles and torches from doors and also light many London landmarks, including the London Eye, yellow.

As has been pointed out before, we remember those we've lost and/or general hardship by rebuilding a better society and learning from mistakes, not through what are effectively empty gestures.

Yew

Established Member
As has been pointed out before, we remember those we've lost and/or general hardship by rebuilding a better society and learning from mistakes, not through what are effectively empty gestures.
That would involve admitting mistakes, and Boris can't have that.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Yes but just like ensuring the NHS is funded/managed/etc properly so that it doesn't just collapse on the other side of this doing the above is difficult/expensive. Far easier to stand on a doorstep and clap/wave torches/etc. That way everyone gets the warm fuzzy feeling of having fixed the problem without our political overlords having to actually do anything about it and/or accept responsibility for the problems their own policies/ideology have caused.

brad465

Established Member
That would involve admitting mistakes, and Boris can't have that.
This is true for him more than anyone else, but almost anyone in politics is guilty of the same thing, because the general perception is society can't accept the importance of admitting and learning from faults done by politicians, especially in our tribalistic society now.

Dent

I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned that this concept of "build back better" risks the desperately needed recovery being derailed by mission creep.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Someone on my street has put two lit tea lights on her doorstep.

nedchester

Established Member
The news earlier featured people doing the “silence” thing which I suspect as a proportion of the population was very poorly supported and the same will apply to the candles thing tonight but the news will be full of it as if everyone was doing it as if to guilt trip non-compilers.

Pointless virtue signalling.

DelayRepay

Established Member
The news earlier featured people doing the “silence” thing which I suspect as a proportion of the population was very poorly supported and the same will apply to the candles thing tonight but the news will be full of it as if everyone was doing it as if to guilt trip non-compilers.

Pointless virtue signalling.

I looked out the window at 8pm and not a single neighbour was out. I expected to see at least a couple - Clap for Carers was well supported in our street.

SteveM70

Established Member
I clearly live on a street full of heartless bastards non-sentimentalists who don’t do as they’re bidden by people like Johnson

ChrisC

Established Member
Just seen on Twitter that all of our local Labour councillors were out on the street tonight. Lots of photos of them standing holding candles in front of the floodlit council offices. They have really made a big thing of the whole day. They were remembering the 323 in the area who have died and thanking the NHS. Perhaps this is seen as a way of winning votes at the local elections.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Ho hum. Leading story on the BBC1 TV news tonight! TV companies seem to like covering "anniversary" stories for some reason, possibly because they will already have much of the footage "in the can". :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.